Jobs to Mustang $

MuscleCar02

Sep 18, 2009
Is it me or have you noticed an extremely high % of stang owners esp 96-04 cars are kids like 18-20's. Im 25 but where do they get the money. Im in college still working at $11 an hr lol! Just last night I went to a local car group and there were 3 03&04 cobra owners (with substantial mods) in there teens! Idk if this is good or bad, but where can I get that job!??:hail2: Cuz i need more $ to stang too :D

~Rob

• Sponsors (?)

Its all about priorities, specifically what you drive being a very low one and making a life for yourself when you are young being a high one.

You do not want to end up a 70 year old homeless guy who goes around telling people about the mad tyte car you used to have when you were young.

It's all about saving for what you want. I'm 18, and my Mustang was my second vehicle. First one, I went half/half on an 07 Ford Ranger with 3,000 miles on it from a dealership. I didn't want a torquey v8 for my first car, so I drove a 4 cylinder Ranger for a year and a half. I wanted a Mustang since I was in kindergarten, and finally found one locally that was within my budget, and seemed to be in great condition. I pay for my gas, pay for my insurance, and when I owned the Ranger I paid back the 5 grand my parents threw down on the deal.

If you're responsible with money which, luckily, I am, I was always taught that you can afford anything you really set your mind to, whether it be rent money, a car, a motorcycle, or another hobby you may have. I work 5 days a week at my job, and on weekends play shows with my band, earning money from those each weekend. I'm still able to afford nights out with the girlfriend, guitar equipment, and my share of recording sessions.

In summary, it's all about financial responsibility! :nice:

Very good points made. It's all about saving up for what you want. I've been through several rigs, all paid for with cash. I wanted a Stang, found a deal on my Mystic and went for it. I had saved up so I had the cash to spare. I worked all through high school, and now I'm a full time college student and work part time for the nice things in life. I pay for all my own stuff, I've just learned to adjust my life so I can afford the things I want (most of them anyway). That's like just last month my car sold, I turned around and the same week it sold purchased a 2003 4runner that's completely loaded. I'd made responsible decisions, so I had enough money I could head down to the dealer with cash in hand. BTW, I'm 20 if that matters. It's all about the decisions...

i'm a 19yr old college student and i'm a server at chili's.. i make 100 bucks a night and i work 5 nights a week.. thats about 2000 a month.. my 04 was 12 grand and the payment is 350 a month.. so that leaves around 1600 for everything else

It's nice to see you young guys that are working hard to afford your Mustangs.

I bought my daughter a '94 vert in really good condition for her graduation. She worked and all she had to do was pay her insurance. After eight months her loser boyfriend totalled her car and the insurance company would not pay for it. She had lowered her insurance to liability without telling me. She lost a car and I told her, "Sucks to be you cause daddy ain't buying you another one..."

Mustang's are cheap relatively speaking. You can get an '04 GT for $10K or less. Some 17-year old kid is driving my CLEAN '03 GT right now he got for around $9K.

When you live at home and have no bills, it's easy to afford that.

SHould see some of the kids on the G35 forums i'm on. $30-45K cars their parents bought them and they are shopping for ebay body kits. :(

Most of them still live with thier parents and dont even pay thier own
insurance. That makes it easy to mod up thier cars since they have no
other responsibilities.

You hit the nail on the head man :notnice: no bills, no rent, no nothing but all this money to blow on what ever they want:fuss: usually totaling there car with in the first year. just sucks to see that. parents now days give ther kids way to much.
lil johnny wants new this an that mom dad get's it for them?:nono:
then with in a month or so he's tired of that wants something newer. where do the kids learn to work for the stuff that you want? an not doin your chores is a job:nonono:
People like that I laugh in there face an call them a spoiled brat :rlaugh:

You hit the nail on the head man :notnice: no bills, no rent, no nothing but all this money to blow on what ever they want:fuss: usually totaling there car with in the first year. just sucks to see that. parents now days give ther kids way to much.
lil johnny wants new this an that mom dad get's it for them?:nono:
then with in a month or so he's tired of that wants something newer. where do the kids learn to work for the stuff that you want? an not doin your chores is a job:nonono:
People like that I laugh in there face an call them a spoiled brat :rlaugh:

And this gives the rest of us a bad name. We don't all suck up to mom and dad. I'll admit, I don't pay rent and it allows me to have more money for other things. However, I worked my butt off through school so that I was able to get enough scholarships to pay for my housing. That's just as if I was working flipping burgers somewhere or anything else to pay rent. Not only was it hard to get them, you also have to work your butt off to keep the scholarships. While I'll agree, for some mom and dad give them everything. However, a lot of us don't rely on them, and to be quite honest it just sucks to be classified with those that do.

These are great and all but for the people who haven't mentioned where they work how do you do it? Do your parents pay for it?

I paid my 02 Gt off with my parents. They could have bought it out right but they wanted to instill responsibility. Im a Psy major, which is a 35hr week job in its self. Plus other responsibilities.

In all honesty 10k is a lot of money. Maybe not to some, but for me that is a lot of cash to put down, esp since mods are not necessary and for a decent build (Rebuilt short block, heads, clutch, supercharger, tune, breaks, suspension) adds up VERY fast regardless if you do it yourself.

IDK maybe I need a new job. For me in North NJ $11hr is decent, im also fortunate I have no debts to credit cards or such. Im responsible with $ but Gas, Food, ect... adds up. Doesn't matter how well your $ habits are you still have to [ay your expenses, and attend to your responsibilities.

For me Priority 1 is school, 2 family, 3 work. So where can i get a job with you guys that make all this $$:cheers:

Meanwhile I will be waiting :popcorn: ~ Rob

I'm working at RadioShack. I make minimum at $7.25 an hour, plus commissions. I average $10-$11 an hour. I just make small sacrifices here and there, it all adds up. I didn't mod my car right away. I searched around until I found a great deal on the car I wanted. Got it. I saved for 6 months (did a few minor things at first, nothing major though) then started doing stuff like repaint and wheels/tires. For the last several months, I've been saving because I knew I was going to sell the car and get something else. So, when my car finally sold, I had enough extra money to put with it I was able to pay cash in full to pick up my 4runner. Trust me, it's the little things that add up and make a difference. I quit drinking cokes, quit eating out as much, car pool when possible, stay away from credit cards, etc and I can't believe how much money I've ended up saving.

That's funny if you think a teenager with an 03 cobra is spoiled. Where I go to college, you see kids driving $100k cars. Brand new Audis, AMG S Classes, and the one that made me mad was a GT500. Parents obviously don't care, I saw a girl in a brand new Audi smokin a cig in it. Most nice cars I've been in are trashed up by the kids.