Junk-yard tech / Late model alternator variations ??

damannhw

Aug 14, 2003
Upstate SC
Searched with no luck, so I'll ask ! Was looking at some late model cars in the salvage yard yesterday, and was curious which Alternators are best to use in a early Mustang. Can you tell what the Amperage is by looking at it ? They had these to choose from :

'98 Mustang V6
2 early 90's V8 T-Birds
1 V6 Windstar
several V6 Rangers

Any of these a good candidate ? They are selling them for $35 each.

• Sponsors (?)

There should be 1g, 2g, or 3g stamped into the case. I can't remember right now what the specs of the others are, but the 3g is 130amps. The best one (case clocked correctly for vintage mustangs) comes from, of all things, a 3.8 Tarus/Sable ('90+), and the local JYs are just POLLUTED with the things.

I know the 5.0 mustangs take the same case 3g as our cars, so they might know the other apps, but I know Tarus ones are the most popular. IIRC, none of the apps that you listed is right (with the probable exception of the mustang). I think I'd grab the mustang one.
HTH
--Kyle

Can't really help on the issue, but I love title of the thread................Junk-yard Tech. That puts money in your pocket and not the boys and girls putting up all the wild performance expectations.

This thread should get a great photo from the track. Here it............err............she is.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

dsc0005320winner20from20behind.jpg

Attachments

• dsc0005320winner20from20behind.jpg
    dsc0005320winner20from20behind.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 73
I just did my swap not too long ago. I got the small case 3G (a direct bolt in for the old 65A alternator) out of a '94 Mustang GT for $45. I researched and found a list of donor vehicles before I headed out to the junk yard.

There is a lot of good info out there for wiring them up.

An excellent choice if you have modern electrical Accessories and need POWER! :nice:

Here is a link to a thread with more 3G info:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=574307

Thanks, I think I'll grab the Mustang alternator ! :nice:

Another question, what size fuse should I run, and where can I get an inline for the alternator ?

madbrad, do those Taurus fans come with thermostats, or do you just buy an adjustable one ?

Another question, what size fuse should I run, and where can I get an inline for the alternator ?

I bought a 150A ANL fuse at a local sound shop. I secured it directly to the battery side of the solenoid and a 4 gauge feed from the alternator on the othe end.

do those Taurus fans come with thermostats, or do you just buy an adjustable one ?

I also heard good things about the taurus fan. I got one off a '93 Sable, it had two speed and pulled air like crazy. Unfortunatly, with my 4 core radiator, I only have 3 1/4" to the WP pulley. The fan was almost 5" with shroud and about 4 1/4" without. Just wouldn't fit. I got good money for it on ebay though.

The Taurus thermostat is expensive at the parts store and checking one out at the junk yard would be pretty dificult. If you can get it for cheap, go for it. You would still have to figure it out, 'cause it prob has a signal from the computer to activate it.

After market fan controllers are kind of expensive too, but might be a better bet.

I like Junk-Yard Tech :nice: