Just bought an intake/programmer

Cory281

Jun 6, 2004
Hey guys I just bought a intake and programer that are used. Anyway, it's from AM and Bama and the tune is for a car with an automatic and my car is a manual, is that a problem?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I got excited and gave it a try thinking if it wouldn't work then it just would pull up an error and not load. I was wrong, now the car won't start and it won't let me return it back to stock.

Anyone know what I can do?

You are going to have to wipe the tuner and order a new tune. Upside is since you own a device, you won't be paying more than probably $80 or so. I got mine through Brenspeed. Not sure what you can do as far as what may or may not have happened with you trying to upload the wrong tune. Tunes are exceptionally specific nowadays. Make sure you let whoever you order from know your year, trans, any and ALL mods, whether you need an emissions legal tune, what octane you plan to use, etc... Brenspeed walked me right through the process and my car felt like it got a shot of steroids once I finally uploaded it. Good luck.

They are VIN specific to stop people from tuning multiple identical cars with one tuner. I would guess that if he was able to start improperly tuning his car, it was probably unlocked, but to the OP- I would contact the guy you bought it from and make sure he unlocked it. Also, some local shops have the ability to return the device to "blank" despite not having the car it is paired with, but they usually are resistant to do it to prevent theft of tuners (not saying you did, just saying what my shop told me).

You may also consider contacting Bama. I don't think they'd revise the tune for you without a charge, but they might at least be able to help you undo whatever attempting to load that tune did to your ECU. I hope you can fix this, or have a dealer reflash your computer, because replacing the computer won't be cheap and any warranty you may have went up in smoke the second an aftermarket piece caused the problem. Keep us posted.

Ok, here is what happened. I bought the tuner and CAI used. The guy had it on his 06 GT and bought it from AM 6 months ago, he returned his car back to stock unlocking the tuner and sold his car.

So that brings us up to now. I installed everything and tried to install one of the custom tunes from AM. He had called AM and they said it would work on any car as long as he returned his back to stock first. He wanted to make sure so he could sell it to someone else. Well I uploaded it into my car and after the car would not start or turn over, I tried putting my car back to stock and it would now say invalid vehicle on the tuner.

After a couple of hours researching I found out you can update the tuner. I did that and it let me return my car back to stock and also use the strategy tune on the tuner. But the 3 custom AM tunes wouldn't work.

I called AM they said that the tunes were for the PO's previous car and would not work for mine(Computer code or something like that) and they wanted $150 for 3 new tunes for my car. I said well I have bought a bunch of stuff from you guys and the PO bought the tuner from you guys and don't you guys give free tunes for life?

They said that only works for the original car it was purchased for.

So I asked what was all this fine print about the free tunes for life thing. They said that it's for the original car the tuner is bought for and that if you were to sell that car and KEEP the tuner and try to use it on a future Mustang you would have to still pay $150 for the tunes. It ONLY works for that specific car and so does the free tunes for life stuff.

Anyway I ended up going with a local tuner that does a lot of work around here that said he could tune it for my elevation and that would be better. I paid $75 for that.

I feel like AM's free tunes for life thing is misleading and they charge to much for the tune, I have always taken my Mustang business to them over the years except this and some brakes I did in the past. I don't expect anything for free, but 150 is to much for tunes especially when they advertise "free tunes for life." I would think that would stay with the tuner like a car warranty, at least with the original owner if he keeps the tuner. Don't get me wrong I'm not on here trying to get everyone to not buy their tunes from AM, go there if you want. I'm just telling what happened.

Anyway, the car runs great now. I wished I had done this a lot sooner!

Thanks for all the help guys. I just wanted to give the entire story.

If it were free tunes for life on the tuner, what would stop someone from starting their own tuning business with just that tuner? Just keep getting free tunes from AM and installing them on people's car for a fee. I'm with AM on this one.

You wouldn't be able to do that. A tuner will only work for one car until you return it back to stock. It will only let you tune one car at a time. It also will only do 5 different cars until it locks up.

If AM is going to advertise free tunes for life then they should specify that's only for the car you are currently purchasing it for.

I completely understand a company has to make money, that's the way it is.

My problem is this: Say I spend $550 bucks for a CAI and tuner from them. I sell my Mustang, but I take my CAI off and return the car back to stock settings with the tuner, unlocking it. I keep the CAI and tuner and a while later buy another Stang that's the same body style, I put the CAI on and use MY tuner that I purchased and it doesn't work because the codes are different.

So now I would have to pay another $150 for AM's tunes for my new car when I paid for a tuner that they advertise as giving you free tunes for life. I see no difference in them giving you a new tune for a different computer code and giving you a new tune for using a different intake. They will only do it for the later. But maybe there is, I am not a tuner.

I will still probably buy some stuff from AM. But I don't think as highly of them as I did before this. I'm not on here trying to bad mouth or convince anyone not to go there, just sharing the story of what happened.

Well, I'm glad you're back up and running, and I guess a little clearer communication between AM and the previous owner would have helped avoid this. Telling him it will work with any car was correct in respect to the hardware, but they should have clarified that the tunes were computer code and setup specific.

As far as you expecting free tunes....well, I think that is a little over the top. Any warranty out there that is "lifetime" other than Zippo lighters usually becomes null and void the second you exchange ownership. The original owner was given that entitlement, and that ended with him. There is no incentive for AM to give you tunes because you gave money to the original seller. I dealt with Brenspeed, and their policy is if I buy mods from them, they will revise my tune for free and send it along. If I buy mods elsewhere, I am welcome to pay for revisions from them or solve the problem myself by finding a different tuning shop.

And there is a big difference between making you a unique tune for your car and revising it as you mod up vs. creating a whole new tune for a whole new car. It's kinda like if you had a "dream house" built that a contractor said would suit your needs for life as your life was at that point, then you had more kids than you had rooms as time went on, it is not on the contractor to come back and build an add-on, it's on you. Or if you bought springs or pulleys for the New Edge in your avatar that had some kind of warranty, it is not on them to swap 'em out with 05+ spec equipment because you bought a new car.

Additionally, $150 for three tunes isn't really that bad. It gives you options for gas, and the power/tq gained from a tune is probably the cheapest dollar/HP or Tq you're ever gonna spend on a car.

If AM is going to advertise free tunes for life then they should specify that's only for the car you are currently purchasing it for.

I see why they would have this restriction but I agree with you that it should be more clear on their products page. I'm looking at buying a tuner combo from them and I don't recall seeing anything on their page about this but the "FREE TUNES FOR LIFE" was pretty well advertised and that's a little deceptive.

I'm glad I read found this thread, thanks for posting. I'll still probably order from them but my expectations are now a little lower and I'll be more interested in looking to sell the mods with the car instead of returning it to stock

Be careful with that Katmando, in some states it would be illegal to sell the car tuned because it might not pass inspection. In MA, you can pass with a tune, but I am pretty sure some states can figure it out and fail you (pretty sure CA can, for instance). If that is the case, most states have a law making it illegal to sell the car if it can't pass inspection. You might be better off to either return it to stock and sell the new owner the box of parts and tuner to deal with on his/her own, or sell the parts to somebody else. At minimum make it clear to any potential buyer that they may need to return the car to stock to pass inspection so they don't come back all pissed off with a rejection sticker demanding their money back. If you ever go to trade the car in at a dealership, they won't give you a single extra dime for your mods, and most actually prefer the car be returned to stock. It makes them look less abused and more reliable than something somebody started tinkering with.

thanks for the tip, I'm guessing that a CAI with stock tune would still pass emissions but what about a different gear ratio? Wouldn't the speedometer be off with the stock tune? I wouldn't want to pay the labor to undo the gear swap (the parts aren't worth the cost)

Katamando, the tuner has an option for gears, so that will take care of that for you.

Astro, I wasn't expecting free tunes. I didn't know what they would do in that case, I could see it going either way when I bought the tuner used. I thought the original tunes from AM would still work for my car, but found out they won't. But the thing that bugs me is that even if you are the original owner of the tuner, you only get free tunes for that specific car, not for a new Mustang you buy and use the tuner on. I just wish they would clarify instead of always saying free tunes for life making it sound like buying a tuner from them and you're set for life.

I'm thinking $150 is a little steep for what they want. I paid $75 for the same thing from a local tuner.

Did your local guy hook you up with all 3 octanes? If he did, you got one heck of a deal. I agree that if the original owner were to upgrade vehicles, then he should get a new tune, but as far as the exchange with you, I understand AM's position.

Katmando- There are other options for the speedo, but odds are you're going to have a problem with overlapping systems. Ford might be able to re-flash for the gears. Your CAI won't work without the tune, as evidenced by this whole thread, and leaving it on with a stock tune will lead to a check engine light and potential motor damage. That's why I advocate for holding on to as many stock parts as you can, so if you do decide to make a move, your mod money isn't lost with the car.

I don't think they can be any more clear than this. (not to mention that it should be common sense really)

Bama Custom Tuning provides FREE tunes for life on our SCT custom tuners & chips and Diablosport Trinity custom tuner. Any time you make a new modification that requires a re-tune, Bama tune technicians will write you a new one for free - just contact us!

How to Get Free Tunes For Life:

1. Purchase a Custom SCT SF3/X3, Livewire or TSX tuner or Diablosport Trinity Tuner
2. Tunes are written just for your vehicle by the Bama Custom Tuning division
3. Your tuning info will be kept on file.
4. Your new tunes will be emailed straight to your home computer.
5. When you order a new performance part, contact us to order new free tunes.
6. Repeat - For Life!

Offer valid for customers who originally purchased an SCT or Diablosport Trinity custom tuner from AmericanMuscle.com. BamaChips customers who purchased an SCT or Diablosport tuner, or custom tune files, are also enrolled in the Free Tunes for Life program for continued support by Bama Custom Tuning. Please contact us when you would like to order new free tunes, at (888)226-9764.

Only the original car tuned for device is eligible for the Free Tunes for Life program. A new car will require you to buy back in to the Free Tunes for Life program. Please contact us at (888)226-9764 for more information

Ateup, where did you find that at? I've been on their website a few times looking at programers and CAI's. All I have ever noticed is they advertise "Free tunes for life."

It could have been right in front of my face and I missed it. I have always understood it as you get free tunes as long as you own the programer until all of this.

Astro, he said he could do 3 different tunes. But I told him I only need 2, I have one for 91 octane and one for 87 when gas gets more expensive.

Yeah, I did get a good deal. I did on everything, I only paid 300 bucks for the CAI and programer, they are only 6 months old and look new still.

Only the original car tuned for device is eligible for the Free Tunes for Life program.

I don't doubt this but can you point to a spot on the website that says this? I definitely don't see it on the product page for the tuner. From what I see on the web page it seems like American Muscle is advertising "Free tunes for life" which is presumably for the life of the tuner. It doesn't sound like good business to me for potential customers to find out about this restriction on forum rather than the vendor being up front about it on the products page before the customer hands over any money.

I'd totally understand this not being transferable to a new owner (this is pretty common with warranty type stuff) but if that is the case then the original purchaser should be able to just get new tunes for a different vehicle. Especially if the tuner is set up so that it can only load a tune onto one car at a time. That's the impression that I get from "Free tunes for life" anyways.

If the original purchaser can't use the tuner on a different vehicle (even if it is the same model as the original vehicle) then they should at least be able to sell the tuner with the vehicle and the "Free tunes for life" should go with the vehicle. It's not clear on the website if that is allowed or not either.

Yeah, that's how I thought of it to. Free tunes for life only works if you bought the tuner and still have the original car you bought it for. That's it. I would be ok with that if they made that more known on their website, I'm not trying to argue their policy. I just think they need to be more up front about it.

It's at the circled link:

8cd40a9f.jpg