just broke off bolt in lower intake!!!

noslow5_0

Nov 7, 2003
dallas tx.
well i think im up **** creek without a paddle now.... I went to replace the gaskets that go from the heads to the lower intake, and when i pulled the upper off, a bolt snapped. I called a machine shop, and they said they may be able to fix it, but all there machinst's are off today. All this was in a desprite attempt to fix a possible vacum leak. If i cant get it fixed, a local junkyard said that with my core they can get me one for 125.00. Anybody have any suggestions or ever have this problem before??? i drilled a small pilot whole to try and get an easy out in it, but things just went down hill after that. It snapped off inside the bolt, now neither will give!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

ya im gonna go get a better bit tommorow. My friend has a drill press, and we were tryin to use it, but his bits werent doin nuttin.... He said to get a bit thats for drilling out steel like what they use at machine shops, so im gonna go get one an try to heat it up and get it out of there. I just cant catch a break with this damn car.... It should be ok if once i get it out of there, i just tap the whole for a little bit bigger bolt i hope. Other wise im just gonna have to get another one. Tried the ebay thing, and there all up to around 100 and over. well see how it goes tommorow...........

This has happened to me before...the 1st bolt on the passenger side head of the original 302 engine that was in the car snapped flush because of a coolant leak thats been there for years...I pulled the head and took it to a machine shop and they got it out for $60..but they said to use a longer bolt from a hardware store and I knew the thought of that would haunt me so I ditched the 302 for the current 427ci....I had planned on pulling the heads anyway becuase of an annoying knock the car had that kept burning up rocker arms and pushrods

that sucks. been there before. easy outs worked for me and I didn't heat the area. Is any of it sticking out of the hole? If so you could weld a nut to it to give you something to wrench on.

noslow5_0 said:
well i think im up **** creek without a paddle now.... I went to replace the gaskets that go from the heads to the lower intake, and when i pulled the upper off, a bolt snapped. I called a machine shop, and they said they may be able to fix it, but all there machinst's are off today. All this was in a desprite attempt to fix a possible vacum leak. If i cant get it fixed, a local junkyard said that with my core they can get me one for 125.00. Anybody have any suggestions or ever have this problem before??? i drilled a small pilot whole to try and get an easy out in it, but things just went down hill after that. It snapped off inside the bolt, now neither will give!!!!

electrical discharge machining or even a good mill could clean that situation up.

Where is the bolt snapped exactly?

A friend of mine snapped one right in the middle. We just put the intake on ignoring the bolt.

30,000 miles later we tore it down and everything was still fine

well i went to torque the bolts to spec about two weeks ago when i polished my upper and thats when it snapped. Car drove fine, but i didnt want it too bite me in the butt latter down the road so i ripped the upper off an tried to drill it out.... It snapped at the very front drivers side hole in the intake. Im takin it to the machine shop tommorow.....

Dude, never seize is your best friend. Found that out working at a dairy. Steel and aluminum corrode together. Take you lower to a local metal fab shop and get them to tig the boss back on and take a good gasket with you to the machine shop so they can relocate the hole. By breaking the boss off you did yourself a favor because it's easier to put a new hole in vs repair a damaged one. It's not that bad and should get you out the door for under $100.

Jamie