Just can't find the motivation

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by rdharper02, Dec 25, 2012.

1. rdharper02

rdharper02 Member

Husky,
    I won't get rid of my 1993, so any car I get has to be something I'm willing to sell at some point. There has been alot of California 1965-1967 Stangs out here, but if I get one, I won't want to let it go. I just cant get the wife to pull another trailer......lol. I found a sumped tank for mine for $100. I know that i'll need it with the motor I'm planning, but will have to continue with the Aeromotive 340 in-tank until then. I'll hit you up on the fittings portion when I get there. It's good to know we're both getting something done.

Joe,
    I'd love to see what you have. I keep going back and forth on it. Just can't decide exactly how I want to do it. Any help is appreciated.
  2. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Active Member

Joe Line Lock 2 Step.jpg
    Joe Line Lock 2 Step.jpg

Obviously its not my own original idea. I have my line lock wired with a toggle switch to a 12v source, which allows me to use just the line lock for burnouts. I then tied the linelock into the 12v source for the relay and used a diode to prevent the 2 step from recieving power from the linelock toggle switch. In this fashion, the line lock works without the 2 step when it alone is activated; however, when I active my 2 step, it also activates the linelock so I never have to worry about rolling in or out of the staging lane.

For the grounding source for the relay, look at your clutch pedal switches. There are two of them, each has three wires going into it. The top switch has three red wires, two of them are close together and one of them is slightly seperated. Out of the two that are together, one of them becomes a ground when the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. It breaks its ground when the clutch is released. I believe this switch is for the cruise control, but I am not certain. I tapped into this wire for my relay ground.

Once staged, press the clutch to the floor, activate the momentary switch, the relay will latch and stay latched until the clutch pedal is released. It will never relatch the relay until both the clutch pedal and the momentary switch are pressed at the same time.

My car is a 1993 original 5 spd car with cruise. Different years may differ, but you can probe around until you find a ground source.

Good luck with it!

Joe
    90lxcoupe likes this.
  3. rdharper02

rdharper02 Member

Joe, for some reason my reply didn't hit. Thanks for the input. I figure (stick car) I can limit the rpm (or utilize the soft touch rev limiter) in the water box, but need to figure out a way to limit the wheel spin off the line. Your diagram sparks some ideas. I'm possibly looking to limit second gear depending on wheel spin (turbo was making 512 ft lbs on a stock motor). It will be trial an error, but you have given me something to build off of. I need to do more research, but I have an AEM stand-alone that may actually help in this area. Honestly, I think more strip than I ever attend. It gets driven more than race, but that's my goal for the build. My father was a fairly well known builder and always said you can’t make a reliable and fast street/strip car. Hopefully I can.

At this point I still need to do some odds and ends, but will be doing research for the next few months. I plan a Dart build of 327 or 331 (same build different cam) and learning about the AEM system I happened on. My knowledge of self-tuning is not as good as I believed as I regretfully don't remember my previous (under load) air fuel ratios. So, I'll take my "time off" to learn.

I’ll resurrect this post from time to time, but want to acknowledge the guys who have turned this from a “I don’t want to work on it” to an actual progress thread. This community has taken me from a basic bolt-on car and given me the resource to build something I wouldn’t have touched 10 years ago.
    Semper learning
    RD
  4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

RD: Is your "time off" coming up soon? If so, be safe, and know folks are praying for you.

Is it safe to assume the "Semper learning" is indicative? If so, then I'll make sure to use smaller words, and won't hold it against you!

(Retired ARMY!)

Greg
  5. 90lxcoupe

90lxcoupe Mustang Master

Your dad must not get out much. There are plenty of reliable street cars that are very fast. Its not cheap to make it reliable, but it can be done.
  6. rdharper02

rdharper02 Member

Well, after too many months, I dug her out of the garage. After charging the battery and turning the oil pump for a while, she fired right up. Still need to figure out where my timing, fuel pressure are best set at; fix my A/F gauge wiring; check brake lines and check for exhaust/air leaks. At least i am back on it.
  7. madmike1157

madmike1157 I neutered myself. >=-O SN Certified Technician

:banana:
    It's your one year " thread anniversary"
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  8. Ant85

Ant85 Member

Glad to see you're back at it again!
  9. rdharper02

rdharper02 Member

So I managed to get several small things done. My crossover pipe had some heinous leakage and I managed to dispose of a couple of hours in correcting it. I figured it was up on stands so I would work on the front coils to get the front end back up. I love UPRs stuff, but sent several iterations getting my aluminum spanner wrench to make enough contact to stay on the adjustment ring without an extreme amount of hand-hold on over the wrench. I'm hoping that I do not need a whole lot more height or I'm going to need a better wrench in order to sin the ring under the spring's load. Did manage to tri over my hood pins in the process. More UPR goodies. So it's dark and I figure I'll put them on and possibly give myself a chance to improve on my fiberglass and painting skills. Well, I managed not to screw it up much, but don't like the looks of them. The billet just doesn't look right on the white paint. Nice pieces, so hopefully I'll warm up to them. I'll post pics once I learn how to use this new windows 8 computer.