Just changed the oil...

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
The filter was so tight I had to drive a screwdriver into the side of the filter and use the screw driver as a lever to get it to turn :mad:

Whoever put that oil filter in there, YOU SUCK :notnice:

Anyways if your oil filter is too tight, driving a screw driver right into the side of the filter with a hammer works great :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The screwdriver trick has saved teh day for me many times on different cars, tractor, lawn mower, etc... I like the oil filter wrenches that fit on a 3/8in socket for filters that are in tight spots .. know what I'm talkin' bout? They are like a cup that fits the bottom of the filter ......

I wish motorcraft filters had the rough stuff on the bottom like those (hate to even say it) fram filters.

That's why i hate having other people do my changes. I've been the only one to do it on my GT thankfully.

I can get at my GT's filter with a wrench, but i always end up spilling oil all over the k-member. Dammit Ford, couldn't you have put it in a better spot?? I always need to buy a can of GUNK engine degreaser and clean the underside of my motor and k-member after a change because the oil from the filter always spills on the rack

Mustang5L5 said:
That's why i hate having other people do my changes. I've been the only one to do it on my GT thankfully.

I can get at my GT's filter with a wrench, but i always end up spilling oil all over the k-member. Dammit Ford, couldn't you have put it in a better spot?? I always need to buy a can of GUNK engine degreaser and clean the underside of my motor and k-member after a change because the oil from the filter always spills on the rack

I put a plastic bag around the filter, unscrew it a few times and let it drain into the bag. then I unscrew the filter completely, drop it in the bag, and manuver it out.

I changed my oil today too. Mine was tight as well, and I thought the same, who the f*** put the filter there, but I finaly got it off without poking any holes.

Its easy to put it back on, u can just reach from the drivers side wheel, its hard to take it off for me because I don't like hot oil pooring on my arms.

I change my own oil and my filter for my Mustang (have the shop do "lifetime oil changes" on my Mazda. I have a K&N Oil filter with the big 1" nut at the top. Easy to break loose with my large driver wench.

DTNODYA said:
The screwdriver trick has saved teh day for me many times on different cars, tractor, lawn mower, etc... I like the oil filter wrenches that fit on a 3/8in socket for filters that are in tight spots .. know what I'm talkin' bout? They are like a cup that fits the bottom of the filter ......

I wish motorcraft filters had the rough stuff on the bottom like those (hate to even say it) fram filters.

Whats wrong with FRAM oil filters?