Just Died...!!!

MY90GT

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2000
Louisville, KY
My daughters 93 4 cly just died on her today. It would crank, but wouldn't try to start. Went back 3 hours later still wouldn't start. Called a tow truck, got it home. Then it decides to start. Checked the codes, nothing pointing to a serious problem. :shrug: Any ideas???? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

TFI was my first thought, but it restarted agian. :scratch:
They are killed by heat, so I guess it is possible for it to work after cooling down. :shrug:
Did you notice if the tach moved when you couldn't start it? if it didn't move, there is a good chance it was the TFI and it is definatly ignition related

bhuff30 said:
TFI was my first thought, but it restarted agian. :scratch:
They are killed by heat, so I guess it is possible for it to work after cooling down. :shrug:
Did you notice if the tach moved when you couldn't start it? if it didn't move, there is a good chance it was the TFI and it is definatly ignition related
re-starting after it cools down is a symptom

MY90GT said:
Is the TFI the samething as a ignition module?
Yes. TFI=Thick Tilm Ignition modual.
It is attached to the distributer. You will need a special tool to get it out (cheap). Be sure to coat the back of the new TFI with plenty of heat transfer grease.

mine did this awhile back, fuel pump relay went out or it was bad wiring for it, couldnt figure it out. i cut some wires from my ecu and ran them into a 30 amp fuse. that kept going out so i jus wired it straight to the fuse box.