Just Got Some Money Need Help Spending It

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you got options. The best bang/buck route would be to save up a *bit* more. Another 1-200 would give you enough to buy a camshaft, new springs, pushrods (~$350), and get a decent tune or chip (~200-350). You could just do the camshaft without a tune or chip, but you really wouldn't be getting the most of it. Add another 2-300 to that if you need to have someone install the cam for you.

If you've gotta spend it now, and can't get an extra few hundred, or just prefer the simple bolt-on route, then I'd go with an upper intake spacer ($90, easy as hell to install), and an underdrive pulley ($150, bit harder to install, but doable). Given that you have a CAI and exhaust already, that's about the limit of where boltons will take you. At that point I'd probably use the remaining 250 on a chip too. You'd have enough bolt-ons at that point that a decent tune would probably get you an extra 10hp at least. Chip, pulley and intake spacer total would probably net you around 15-25hp, depending on how good the tune is...

Hold on there. Chip=250-350. RRs=250+. Cam+Springs=350. Pulleys=250. TB spacer is useless, but intake spacer=100. All of those add up to WAY more than the 500 bucks you started with.

But to answer your question, all of those should get you solidly into 14s. Maybe high 13s if you had a pretty wild cam, good tune, and are a better driver than I am. :) I'd say anywhere from 220-240 (max) rwhp and probably 230-ish tq. Depends largely on the cam profile you get, and remember than the one that makes 240hp at peak will almost certainly make less down low.

I dunno about the 4.10s.. what is it they say? Knock 0.3-0.5 off your 1/4 time with 4.10s? Something like that.

dpes he really need a chip with out a serious power adder.... i don't think so, ide say go with a body kit... i know it's not preformance but that stuff may not cost $500 but it will cost at least $500 or more to get it installed...

97v6Silver said:
dpes he really need a chip with out a serious power adder.... i don't think so, ide say go with a body kit... i know it's not preformance but that stuff may not cost $500 but it will cost at least $500 or more to get it installed...
Need? No. But it would help. Even on a completely stock car, a good tune, a little bit of spark advance, stuff like that, can help out and get an extra few horses. Adding pulleys, CAI, Exhaust, and an intake spacer would change the engine geometry enough that a good tune would gain some significant power, like maybe 10hp. Maybe more if you got someone really good.

So no, it's not *needed*. But it sure as hell would help him more than a body kit would!!!

Wickky said:
man i love the way my car looks now i just wanna beat some damn GT's
With ALL the bolt-ons I mentioned above, you stand a chance of beating a stock 98 or older GT. If you're a good driver, and particularly if you get some high-ratio gears. You won't be beating any 99+ GTs any time soon, though. You need a cam + more to bump you up into that range.

Wickky said:
i heard it only raises ur rpm's by like 300
Well you can calculate it. Stock axle ratio is 3.27:1. So with 4.10s, you'd always be revving 4.10/3.27 = 25% faster than you are now.

So at 75mph on the highway, when you're usually at about 2200rpm right now, you'd be at 2200*1.25 = almost 2800rpm.

Not awful, but not great for your engine and gas mileage.

don't go with anything less than 4.10's. I have 'em and love them.I used to have 3.73's in my 7.5 rear end, but the 4.10's are soo much better. Especially with the cam. I'd buy the cam first and get a good tune.