Just installed 93 octane tune with SCT/SF3 Flash Tuner

Mustanglvr2006

Mar 31, 2010
Somewhere
As the Title says, I just downloaded the 93 octane tune with the SCT/SF3 into my 2006 Mustang. I ordered it last Friday and received it yesterday, I wanted the throttle response to be better and let me tell you it made a world of difference :nice: its like my 2006 GT has a "throttle cable" now and not the slow, lazy computer relays, and that makes me so very happy!!

The car is completely stock except for the tune, and it does sound a bit more throaty and when I rev it in neutral or park I can actually hear it sucking much more air, it really seems to have much more acceleration in the mid range, doesn't seem like it made a huge difference on the bottom end, except when I turn traction control off, and I launch the car at around 1,300 and tromp it, it will actually smoke the tires off in first now and I swear it spun some in 2nd as well.

I knew I was in for a loss of fuel mileage with the 93 octane tune and all, but, let me tell you, I filled the car up with 93 Thursday night drove it home (about 4 miles) then after installing the tune this morning and taking it for a drive about 4 miles as well, the fuel gauge has already dropped slightly below the full line :rlaugh: looks like I'll be visiting the gas station a little more in the future, oh well, I didn't buy a Mustang to complain about fuel mileage now did I?? haha

The only thing is, when I ordered the tuner I had 2 custom tunes made, 1 for the 93 octane, and the throttle response, and a 93 octane tune for 410 gears (I will be ordering the 410s in a week) one tune said 93 Tune and the other said 93/410 tune, I installed the 93 tune, and maybe I'm just loosing it, but, the speedo seems like its off by about 10 miles an hour now (feels like I'm going 60 when it says 50) I live in the mountains and when I drove the car this morning after the tune, I was cruising down the road at 60mph and had to hit the brakes to make a corner that I could normally make at 60mph, I wonder if Bama switched the 93 tune and the 93/410 tune by mistake? The shift points seem fine and all, its just the speedo that seems off, Well, later today I will go back out, but, this time I will drive alongside my Moms 2010 GT and I will get her to do 60 and I will see what my speedo says, if it says 60, I'm good, if it says 50 then I will know its off.

Other than that I'm very pleased, and looking forward to the 410s in a few weeks :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and have an awesome weekend!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Just check the parameters in the tuner and see what the tune's gear ratio is set at and then check the tire revs per mile and make sure that is correct as well. Then again showing off is fun too :nice: Glad you enjoy the car more now. A tune is all it takes!

Congrats on choosing a great tune. Definatly sounds like you need to get somebody to pace you and check your speedo. Check the sct too.

Enjoy all the new power!!!! Your poor tires! LOL

patrick

Isn't the gear ratio a parameter along with tire size and shift points that you can modify yourself? I thought most tuners (I think Brenspeed's does) leave those unlocked. I'm very curious to hear your reply because I've been thinking of buying a tuner from Bama/AM.

ive been all thru my sct tuner. if they set 4.10s as stock gear ratio then you wont see it in the tune. the stock option will be checked. but you still have the option for 4.10 which will throw the speedo off even farther. your speed is 10 to 15 mph off in the good direction now. just wait for the gears to be installed and see how it goes from there. i recommend a lower octane street tune for everyday driving. i run my 93 race tune at the track and the 87 street tune for just cruising but I keep 93 fuel in the car at all times. not a huge difference in the tunes.

That brings up another question I've had...the 2010's are supposed to have "adaptive tuning", right? My understanding was that they are like the Bullitt in that you can run 87 octane OR 91 octane without retuning the car (the car will retard the timing automatically for the lower octane).

How does that work with the Bama tunes? In other words can I just get 3 different tunes (economy, street, performance) for 91 octane and run whatever octane I want with the understanding that performance will suffer somewhat at 87?

Just check the parameters in the tuner and see what the tune's gear ratio is set at and then check the tire revs per mile and make sure that is correct as well.
I will look thru the 93 tune and see if I can find what gear ratio they have it set for, Thank you for this advice :nice:

Congrats on choosing a great tune. Definatly sounds like you need to get somebody to pace you and check your speedo. Check the sct too.

Enjoy all the new power!!!! Your poor tires! LOL

patrick
I did not have a chance to have her pace me yesterday, I will try to do that today, and uhmmm yeah, my poor tires!!! :rlaugh: Thanks Patrick.

i thought the tuners were suppose to increase HP an MPGs
I think they are Blake, BUT, I'm thinking the gas company's add something in their high test gasoline like alcohol or something like that now to help it burn cleaner, but unfortunately makes it burn faster, I have heard something along those lines, I have no idea if what I just said is true or not, I'm sure somebody here will have more info on this, I do believe if you have an 87 tune the car would probably get better MPG as well as a HP increase.

Isn't the gear ratio a parameter along with tire size and shift points that you can modify yourself? I thought most tuners (I think Brenspeed's does) leave those unlocked. I'm very curious to hear your reply because I've been thinking of buying a tuner from Bama/AM.
That makes perfect sense SM, you know they never asked what tire size I was running, I am running stock rims and tires right now, so I'd think the tune they made was for for such, I have not been thru the tuner (not in that depth) yet, so I do not know if those settings are locked or unlocked, I will let you know once I go thru it.

PS my throttle lag on my 2010 auto is at times severe! The tune fixed that?
My 2006 had so much throttle lag it was horrible, after I installed the tune its just like I have a "cable" running to the throttle body now, when I touch the gas pedal now the car revs immediately, I asked Bama to fix that when I ordered the Custom tunes, I dont know if that would have been fixed automatically with their tune, so I'd recommend that you ask for that issue to be addressed when they are making the tune for you.

ive been all thru my sct tuner. if they set 4.10s as stock gear ratio then you wont see it in the tune. the stock option will be checked. but you still have the option for 4.10 which will throw the speedo off even farther. your speed is 10 to 15 mph off in the good direction now. just wait for the gears to be installed and see how it goes from there. i recommend a lower octane street tune for everyday driving. i run my 93 race tune at the track and the 87 street tune for just cruising but I keep 93 fuel in the car at all times. not a huge difference in the tunes.
I see what your saying about "if they have it set up that way" I cant change it, I will wait to get the 410s to see what happens, I did not have the chance yesterday to have my Mom pace me, so I still do not know, if it is in fact off, I'm hoping that its not. I luckily do not drive the car daily, maybe once a week, so having the 93 tune shouldnt be a problem for my situation, if I do have to make my GT a DD, I will def go with the 87 tune, Thank you for your advice. :nice:

That brings up another question I've had...the 2010's are supposed to have "adaptive tuning", right? My understanding was that they are like the Bullitt in that you can run 87 octane OR 91 octane without retuning the car (the car will retard the timing automatically for the lower octane).

How does that work with the Bama tunes? In other words can I just get 3 different tunes (economy, street, performance) for 91 octane and run whatever octane I want with the understanding that performance will suffer somewhat at 87?
I unfortunately do not know much at this time about the 2010 :( I am sorry, BUT, I am sure someone will chime in on this and help you with your questions. I do know that Bama says that you cant run 87 or 91 with a 93 tune, it could hurt the engine, BUT, like you are saying the 2010's have "adaptive tuning" and theres where I am at a loss, because I have no knowledge in that area.

You are correct in saying the 2010 has adaptive tuning, which is the reason I run premium. Premium here in south Texas is 93 octane and I have to say I only drove the car on regular for about 3 weeks after I bought it and switched and there was a noticble difference. I recently installed a K&N filter in the factory air intake (not going into modding as much as I did with my 05, but however that sound induction tube sounds just a tad more enjoyable with the new filter) and with the new filter my throttle response seems *a little* better. Not as much as it improved when I tuned my 05 but certainly a difference. Now to answer your question, I'm researching tunes right now as there are a few light mods I'd like to do to the car and have seen no one offer 3 different tunes for the 2010. I think once you tune it you have the option of a 87 octane tune or a 93 (as in my area, 91 in others) however you can't choose both unless you uninstall and go back to the factory tune. My tune is not on the top list of my priorities as I'd like to install some LTs and an O/R h-pipe while I tune it so all can be incorporated into one tune. We shall see though.

And to answer the HP/Mileage question someone brought up, yes, it does increase HP and gas mileage, however, if you're like me and you end up with an extra 15-20 HP esp in the midrange where I do most my driving, my heavy foot tends to cancel out any extra mileage I was getting...if you catch my drift. I do get 27MPG on the highway in 5th gear, which is more than I was getting before I installed my filter, and that's cruising at 75MPH. So yes, a tune will improve these figures, but your driving habits ultimately are what affect the mileage aspect of it. My 05 was making about 380HP crank HP and still getting 26 MPG on the highway which was more than stock, not that i ever got that much under my normal driving conditions.

I'm looking to stick with light mods on this car as I'm upside down on my note, but not much, and look to be trading in for a 2012 GT in about a year and a half. I had an explorer after my 05 was wrecked and just really wanted to get back into a Mustang so the 2010 was it, and sure there were a lot of 5.0 rumors out there and I was not surprised when they announced it. I was however surprised at the numbers its puting down. Honestly if it wasn't for the Camaro I think we would have ended up with a watered down 5.0 making about 370 HP or so. They really stepped it up to answer the Camaro. And mine may not be the fastest car on the road but if that's what I wanted I would have bought a used Corvette or a overweight and boring looking Camaro. At least I get to enjoy what I drive while I'm waiting for the next stang.