Just installed my new supercharger and one question.

dsg02

Jul 6, 2003
I just completed a 6 lb Powerdyne installation on my 95GT and it went really well. I know they aren't looked upon too highly here but I spent quite a bit of time at the Corral (and here) and I found enough people happy with them that I decided to give it a shot. It seems to me most people who destroy them quickly overspin them with 11 lbs pulleys (and some 9 lb failures). Anyway I tried bidding on a few used vortechs and a kenne bell and I got nervous as the price got too high. The price on the kenne bell went up about $300 in the last 20 seconds!! I figure I've got a two year warranty and this is just a part-time street car, not a daily driver and not a race car.

Anyway after hearing alot of horror stories about installation and belt issues, I was surprised how easy it way. It took way more than 6-7 hours, but we took our time (one buddy helped me out) and we mostly working outside and in my small garage in cold weather. The instructions (I got the Ford Racing version because I got it for a few hundred bucks less than the best price I could fine on the powerdyne branded one) were terrible but otherwise I didn't need any extra washers to shim, nothing. So far its running great. We set the base timing back a few degrees and I haven't heard any pinging at all.

Anyway, if you are still reading I'm going to get the instrument cluster bezel that lets you add the two gauges to the corners of the instrument cluster. Obviously one gauge will be boost and I can't decide what other gauge to get. The electrical fuel pressure would be nice but they're expensive. What do you think? What's the most important other gauge to get?

• Sponsors (?)

yellow1995Cobra said:
Glad to see the install went well.

I would go with the fuel pressure gauge, but if your looking for something a little cheaper i would say either a temp gauge or oil pressure gauge.. Both of those are only like 45 or so.

i totaly agree. you should get a fuel pressure gauge and like you said there expensive so get one that you can mount on your cowl.

glad to hear all went well with the install. :nice:

post some vids so we can all drool over it :D

Thanks! I plan on at least borrowing the digital camera from work and taking some pictures. It's going to warm up alittle this week so I can clean her up first.

Also I plan on replacing the stock fuel pump too (I assume it has the original). What should I go with? The stock one meets the minimum requirements. I don't think I really need a 255. Should I go with a 190 or 155? Also I was hoping to get one that's not too loud.

dsg02 said:
Thanks! I plan on at least borrowing the digital camera from work and taking some pictures. It's going to warm up alittle this week so I can clean her up first.

Also I plan on replacing the stock fuel pump too (I assume it has the original). What should I go with? The stock one meets the minimum requirements. I don't think I really need a 255. Should I go with a 190 or 155? Also I was hoping to get one that's not too loud.

Shouldn't he get a air/fuel ratio gauge? I would think that would make tuning very easy. Could even jump the timing and run the car to see how the a/f ratio holds.

Do you have any future plans for the car? Meaning, do you plan to run more boost? If you don't, I assume your stock one will suffice. Get it dynoed and see if you can maintain a good a/f ratio. If you can, leave the fuel system alone. But if you start running lean, then you should think about upgrading the injectors/fuel pump.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Shouldn't he get a air/fuel ratio gauge? I would think that would make tuning very easy. Could even jump the timing and run the car to see how the a/f ratio holds.

Do you have any future plans for the car? Meaning, do you plan to run more boost? If you don't, I assume your stock one will suffice. Get it dynoed and see if you can maintain a good a/f ratio. If you can, leave the fuel system alone. But if you start running lean, then you should think about upgrading the injectors/fuel pump.
Scott

Unless you have a wideband O2, the others are pretty much worthless. My autometer A/F is nothing mut a light show.

i would definitly put a 255 intank pump in and get the fuel pressure gauge it's cheaper than putting head gaskets in or even worse pistons you can never have to much pump or injector with boost , i also recomend the msd with boost retard then you could maybe run a little more timing down low then pull it out under boost , if you have any boost related problems pm me and i'll help as best i can .
troy

red94fiveo said:
Unless you have a wideband O2, the others are pretty much worthless. My autometer A/F is nothing mut a light show.
I'll 100% agree with that. I bought my car w/ an a/f guage already installed, and while putting on one heck of a show at night, seems pretty useless.

J