Just mufflers, or full catback????

w.neurauter

Apr 25, 2005
Hey guys. So I have been itching to put a new exhaust in my 03 GT all summer and think I might have the cash to go through with it. The question I have is whether I should do a full catback, or just have a couple of mufflers welded in. I like the magnaflow catback because it is not too loud and doesn't have the drone from what I have read (I do a lot of highway driving to college). Is there a muffler setup that sounds similar to the full magnaflow catback that mught be a better alternative? I just hate to take out the factory stainless exhaust when it is perfectly good shape. Thanks, I know you guys will help my decision a ton.

• Sponsors (?)

This decision is going to be based on what you are going to do with the rest of your exhaust. Different Catbacks compliment or ruin the type of midpipe you are going to run. Don't just base your decision on one component of the exhaust system. Base it on all 3: Headers, Mid Pipe, and Catback. Some Mid Pipes sound differently with chambered or non chambered mufflers. Do you want a raspy sound that Bassani or SLP sort of sound likes, or do you want that deep rumble that Mac, Dr. Gas, or UPR provides. Those Mid Pipes sound great with a Mac catback.
But yeah, whichever one you choose, choose the complete catback and not just the mufflers. The catback systems are mandrel bent and don't have all those bends and crimps of the factory pipes. But go ahead and change the midpipe along with the catback. You'll sound better and make a little more power. Nothing worse than having a lot of bark with no bite..
That's if you decide to keep the stock headers or get some shorties, but if you decide to get some LTs, then you are going to have to get both the LTs and Midpipes at the same time. What the hell, just do a complete exhaust swap at one time instead of going back and forth with it a few times. Patience Grasshoppa. :nice:

w.neurauter said:
Hey guys. So I have been itching to put a new exhaust in my 03 GT all summer and think I might have the cash to go through with it. The question I have is whether I should do a full catback, or just have a couple of mufflers welded in. I like the magnaflow catback because it is not too loud and doesn't have the drone from what I have read (I do a lot of highway driving to college). Is there a muffler setup that sounds similar to the full magnaflow catback that mught be a better alternative? I just hate to take out the factory stainless exhaust when it is perfectly good shape. Thanks, I know you guys will help my decision a ton.
What lover said above is true and I will agree. If you're going to even bother messing with the exhuast, do it right the first time. Purchase a full cat-back system, rather than just mufflers, unless if all you're looking for is sound. The stock cat-back has all kinds of small crimps and bends in the exhuast setup that restricts flow, so welding in a set of hi-flow mufflers isn't going to do much alone. Magnaflow is a good company and I highly recommend them. Mac is a good company in terms of power and sound, however, they tend to have rust issues. Though I've been hearing they're dura-black coating their parts now to last longer with less corrosion and rust issues. Bassani, Borla, and even SLP are some big companies in the exhuast market for Mustangs as well. If you can dig deep, I'de just do a complete exhuast system swap from headers to tail pipe as lover suggested above. This way, you get it all done right in one swap. No piece mealing or different decisions later on.

I also like the stock tips even though mine barely has any luster left to it. I just put on a set of dynomax super turbo mufflers and had them welded on. Total came out to $30 for mufflers (after dynomax rebate) plus $100 for welding, not bad. The mufflers have a nice deep tone (nothing raspy) and really aren't too noticeable until you really get on it. The only thing for my exhaust I plan further is an offroad X.

Thanks for the help. I don't plan on putting an x pipe or headers on for a while. I am in college and money is tight. I have searched the forums and read good things about the magnaflow catback, but does anyone have any negatives I should watch out for? Also people say to call the sellers and you can get them for under 330, is this true? I really am not looking for raspy, more mellow.

One more question, do you guys see an improvement in mpg with catbacks? I know it is the last thing one peoples minds with exhausts but it does matter.

thanks a tone for all of your help.

w.neurauter said:
Thanks for the help. I don't plan on putting an x pipe or headers on for a while. I am in college and money is tight. I have searched the forums and read good things about the magnaflow catback, but does anyone have any negatives I should watch out for? Also people say to call the sellers and you can get them for under 330, is this true? I really am not looking for raspy, more mellow.

One more question, do you guys see an improvement in mpg with catbacks? I know it is the last thing one peoples minds with exhausts but it does matter.

thanks a tone for all of your help.

you're really not going to see any change in performance without replacing the H pipe. yes you can get them for low 300's online. i got mine for $319 including shipping from compleexhaust dot com. last time i wrote the internet address, SN blocked it out.

Really depends on your budget. I bought a pair of flowmasters for $80. Never got around to putting them on b/c I saw where you could get a magnaflow catback for $359 shipped on partshopper. If you dont plan on changing the factory midpipe DO NOT buy the regular magnaflow catback. It wasnt any louder than factory! But once matted w/ a offroad UPR X pipe it sounds AWESOME!! If you want the FLowmasters PM me and we can work something out!!

I went with a custom 2 1/2 inch catback with flowmasters,a bassani catted x,& frpp shorty headers. I think it sounds great besides the drone. Although if i could do it over again i would have got a catback system because i personaly like the look of the flowmaster and dynomax tips because they look just like the stock tips, just a tad bigger. Im not a fan of the magnaflow tips because they are way too big,especially on the 94-98 models(mines a 96). I guess on a 99+ car they look better though.

Ghostface said:
I also like the stock tips even though mine barely has any luster left to it. I just put on a set of dynomax super turbo mufflers and had them welded on. Total came out to $30 for mufflers (after dynomax rebate) plus $100 for welding, not bad. The mufflers have a nice deep tone (nothing raspy) and really aren't too noticeable until you really get on it. The only thing for my exhaust I plan further is an offroad X.

I used to have the Super Turbos and thought they sounded great.