Just picked up a black/black '98 GT

Btw Puma, good thing you got the 17" wheels cause unlike the 16" production models, the GT w/17s don't have a speed limiter... w/16" you have a 120mph speed limiter. Also, more than likely you also got the optional 3.27 gear instead of the 2.73 which was standard up until '99.

Lower the car a bit with some good springs. Maybe put in a nicer shifter that isn't as "spongy" as the stock one. MGWs are great. Looks like your wires are stock so I would do a good tune up. And make sure all your interior panels are matching black and not mixed with dark charcoal black. They are different and the actual black panels are hard to find.

I think you did well!! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Is that New Old Stock (NOS) FoMoCo leather though, or aftermarket repros?

Price wise I think it was a bit much, but hey as long you are happy that's all that matters. Around here that would be 4.5 5K car tops since its a non PI GT. This is why when I'm looking for a new car I look all around the country for the best car at the best price. You can have a car shipped from coast to coast for 750.00 Just as an example I'm looking at a 01 GT vert with 93K miles for 6,800 perfect paint top and interior. Like I said though as long as you are happy that's all that matters. I'm sure you will love your new stang. :) It looks clean and in great condition

Thanks, the other thing is that I actually bought this car while I'm here living in Japan; I'll be back in September, so I wanted to line something up now so that I'll have a daily driver ready for me on day 1 when I get back; so I really lucked out that this car happened to only be 200 miles away so it could be delivered cheap, and even at that it's literally right off the highway that is the same highway my dad's house is literally right off--so it's just a breezy three hour straight shot from the dealer to my dad's driveway. I realize private sellers may have offered better deals, but I wanted to go with a dealer because they are familiar with transporting. Also I needed to go through a dealer because they have to go to bat for me in terms of getting the car registered and titled in my state. I couldn't have brought myself to hassle a private seller with all that kind of extra work, and I wouldn't have blamed them for not wanting to, or thinking I was scamming them lol.

So all in all I feel pretty lucky to have gotten a loaded black GT with the 17s, just what I wanted, with respectable mileage and awesome condition, from a dealer, just 200 miles away, with them willing to deliver it for free and handle all the paperwork for titling/registration, and getting it for a lot less than they were asking. Basically a lot of things had to fall into place. Kind of one of those situations where you realize, "Yep, this is the car. This one's mine."

Btw Puma, good thing you got the 17" wheels cause unlike the 16" production models, the GT w/17s don't have a speed limiter... w/16" you have a 120mph speed limiter. Also, more than likely you also got the optional 3.27 gear instead of the 2.73 which was standard up until '99.

Cool, I did not know this at all about the speed limiter. Funny, the things they do at the factory sometimes. I am definitely hoping there's a 3.27 in that axle, given the rest of the options on the car, this seems like it would be a prime candidate to have the better axle too. I'm really glad I got the 17s; I just absolutely love them, and think they are the perfect wheel for these cars, so I told myself don't settle, get one with the 17s you want. Had this been a '94-'95 car, I'd have wanted the 16s, but on the '96-'98, I just had to have the 17s.

To all the other compliments, thanks. I should be arranging delivery this week, so hopefully in a week it will be in my dad's driveway. I just have to stop staring at pictures of it everyday between now and September. :eek:

Great buy man I really dig the black, and I think as long as you are happy with the car and you feel like you came out ok then its all good. May I suggest some 3.73 gears if you want a lot more acceleration in the future?:D

But since you probably just want to just drive it and enjoy it thats all that matters, welcome to the world of Mustangs.:flag:

Truthfully I'd like to do:

--Exhaust
--Lower it (and whatever other parts go with that to do it right, camber/caster plates, etc)
--Tint it
--Gears
--Recover front seats
--Pony floor mats

Then just drive it...but I have to convince the new wife of two weeks lol. On the plus side, she accepts my Camaro for life, and accepted me buying a Stang 6 days after we got married lol. Better still, she supports my need for a '68 Dodge Charger R/T, including the price tag for one someday. lol.

I know it's messed up to have a Camaro for a summer car and then subject a Mustang to year-round daily driving conditions, but after three years here in Japan driving tin cans (0.66L 3 cylinder, 58 hp, LOL), I just wanted something that had decent power, and really wanted to get behind a V8 again, and decided to break my 5 speed cherry. The other thing is that we are going to be looking at a car for her (hopefully fairly recent C-Class) and a house when we get back, so we've got a lot going on, so I didn't want to spend too much for a car. Looking around, the Mustang was the best car for the money that fit the bill of what I was looking for. Decent power, downright sexy, a car I always wanted, and cheap for alright mileage and how much car you get, and fun. I'll just have to be diligent in taking it to the coin powerwash once a week to blast the undercarriage clean. I think once we sign papers on a nice, newish car for her, it'll be a lot easier for me to get away with spending a little cash on my cheap car for exhaust, etc.

Hoping to get at least 3-4 years out of this car without too many headaches.

Car look nice, I'd roll it! Check out Maximum Motorsports for suspension parts, I run them on my 91 and I love it. Good luck on that 68 Charger also, I'll be looking to get one someday also if Hollywood hasn't destroyed all of them by then.

1) Which cigarette lighter is correct for my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2198wt_941

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2486wt_941

2) Also, it is a cigarette lighter that's missing in my car, and not just a 12V power point cap, correct?

3) Also, if I've got a 3.27 gear out back, that should put my car squarely in the 14 second zone bone stock, right?

Thanks.

The "smoker's option" was a lighter for that front socket and an ashtray to fit in your cup holder (price tag = $75). There should also be an accessory socket below the console lid facing forward with a small plastic cap over it. The first lighter you linked to looks like my lighter. The second one does not.

Depending on your elevation and how you drive, you should be able to be in the 14s.

Nice looking car man! It's a little on the high side (more than I paid for my 98 5 years ago), but if that's what cars are going for in your area, and you got what you want, that's all that matters. It's definitely a sharp looking car.

With a good density altitude and good driving, you should be able to get it into the 14s, albeit probably high ones. Do the bolt ons (PI cams, PI intake, CAI, offroad mid-pipe, UDPs, gears), and it'll go 13s with good tires. They're not all that fast stock, but still fun to drive, and it's easy to get a lot more out of them.

Ha. I didn't know that. I've had people stand me down that I have 2.73s and a 120 limiter, even though I went over 120 when it was stock (one time) and the tag on the differential says 3.27, and the drive shaft rotates 3 and a quarter times for 1 tire rotation. My car also came with the 17" split spokes, but I didn't know those other things did as well.

Welcome to SN man, and nice car you've got there. I bought the exact same car about 7 years ago for $9,500 w/ 50K miles on it... here are some pics when I first bought it:

NoPlate2edited.jpg

NoPlate1edited.jpg

My mods are in my signature and I would only change one thing. Rather than buy and install PI cams I would have gone straight for a pair of stage 2 NPI N/A cams from MHS.

My car rides and handles great and is reasonably quick. I currently have 135K miles on it and she drives like new. I think you'll be quite happy with it.

Here are some more recent pics:

P6026662.jpg

P6026657.jpg

P6026677.jpg

DSC_5780.jpg

P8026089.jpg

BTW, did you say you were in St. Paul? I'm in Brooklyn Center, MN only about 20 min from St. Paul. Congrats man!

The "smoker's option" was a lighter for that front socket and an ashtray to fit in your cup holder (price tag = $75). There should also be an accessory socket below the console lid facing forward with a small plastic cap over it. The first lighter you linked to looks like my lighter. The second one does not.

Depending on your elevation and how you drive, you should be able to be in the 14s.

Thanks, so then would it be correct to say that only some cars had a lighter plugging up that socket, and others came with nothing in it just like mine (in other words, my car actually may not be missing anything)?

Welcome to SN man, and nice car you've got there. I bought the exact same car about 7 years ago for $9,500 w/ 50K miles on it... here are some pics when I first bought it:

Here are some more recent pics:

P6026662.jpg

P8026089.jpg

BTW, did you say you were in St. Paul? I'm in Brooklyn Center, MN only about 20 min from St. Paul. Congrats man!

Thanks to you and to the other compliments again...I was actually drooling over your car a week ago before I signed up, lol. Very sexy ride. I see you even have the Lloyd's pony floor mats I have picked out too, lol. Yep, I'll be in Inver Grove Heights, living with the old man for a while when my wife and I come over in September.

Really just hoping this car turns out to be a good daily driver; it's been serviced at the Ford dealer I bought it from (and they actually are the ones who sold it to the previous owner a few years ago too), and they just did a basic service with a new fuel filter, etc. and said everything else on the car checked out. I'm still going to get it inspected though after I get back in September (a bit backwards I know, but remember I'm doing all this from Japan so I'm not exactly there to take it in for an inspection...kind of have to go with the gut feeling and the service records it has) and just do everything that it may need.

Thanks, so then would it be correct to say that only some cars had a lighter plugging up that socket, and others came with nothing in it just like mine (in other words, my car actually may not be missing anything)?

Thanks to you and to the other compliments again...I was actually drooling over your car a week ago before I signed up, lol. Very sexy ride. I see you even have the Lloyd's pony floor mats I have picked out too, lol. Yep, I'll be in Inver Grove Heights, living with the old man for a while when my wife and I come over in September.

Really just hoping this car turns out to be a good daily driver; it's been serviced at the Ford dealer I bought it from (and they actually are the ones who sold it to the previous owner a few years ago too), and they just did a basic service with a new fuel filter, etc. and said everything else on the car checked out. I'm still going to get it inspected though after I get back in September (a bit backwards I know, but remember I'm doing all this from Japan so I'm not exactly there to take it in for an inspection...kind of have to go with the gut feeling and the service records it has) and just do everything that it may need.

Shoot me a PM if I can help with anything. Mine stays in the garage uninsured in the winter, but once the snow is all melted and the streets are clean I'll be getting her out. Let me know if you want to go to any car shows. Are you on the TCStangs forum?

Shoot me a PM if I can help with anything. Mine stays in the garage uninsured in the winter, but once the snow is all melted and the streets are clean I'll be getting her out. Let me know if you want to go to any car shows. Are you on the TCStangs forum?

Thanks, I haven't joined any other forums yet...yeah my Camaro stays in the garage under homeowner's insurance all winter (I just added it to my garage here but the color is really crappy due to the image compression).