Just purchased new front end suspension kit

montys69mach

Sep 11, 2004
I just ordered the super kit from Mustangs unlimited which replaces upper/lower control arms, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, adjusting sleeves, end links strut rod bushings, coil spring seats and spring insulators. I also ordered front and rear kyb gas shocks, factory replacement front coil springs and 4 leaf standard leafsprings with a shackle kit. The car already has an o'sized sway bar, I just ordered bushing replacements for it. With this set-up it will restore the factory ride height. I plan to put 17x8 AR Torq thrust II's up front and 17x9.5 in the rear. Do you think I should have went with a more aggressive spring that lowers the car an 1"? or will it rub with those size wheels if I used 245/45/17 (f) and 275/45/17 (r) tires. Also do you think I should have went with a 5 leaf mid-eye spring which lowers it an 1" in the rear as well, or stick with 4 leaf and use lowering blocks. I don't want the car to sit too high with those bigger wheels, I also don't want it to rub. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I went with the 620lb front springs and the big block mid-eyes with 5 leafs in the rear and love it, but I am running magnums, so I can't answer your tire clearance questions.

Ride is a but rugged, but it is not a daily driver for me, so I don't mind.

i think with 17"s and the stock springs you won't be happy with ride height as you will probably have a lot of wheelwell showing. if you can still do it call em back and get the 1" drop coils at least and probably the 5 leaf mid-eyes, one thing about the 5 leafs is if it rides too rough you can always remove the extra spring and turn it back into a 4 leaf but you will still have the lowering effect. most people that run 17's have at least a 1" drop and most likley 2" drop or more. i would also recommend you do the "shelby" drop and lower the upper control arms 1", this won't really lower the car much, maybe 1/2-3/4" but it will improve the front end geometry a lot and these cars need all the halp they can get in that department. the car will handle so much better you will hardly beleive the difference

thanks for the advice i called them and they said its no problem to send the front springs back and they'll send me the 620's. do i need any special kit to do the shelby drop or can i use the new upper's that came with the kit i bought? if i drop the front 1-1.5" do i need to bring the rear down as well?

montys69mach said:
thanks for the advice i called them and they said its no problem to send the front springs back and they'll send me the 620's. do i need any special kit to do the shelby drop or can i use the new upper's that came with the kit i bought? if i drop the front 1-1.5" do i need to bring the rear down as well?

i have the 620's, shelby drop and it sits down lower than 2" i think. When I go down a drive way, if i just drive and dont slow down, my sway bar drags the ground