Just shoot me now....

Taranis

Nov 12, 2004
Austin, Texas
The other Friday night, I was heading to a concert with a couple of co-workers in my '03 Ram, looked in my rear-view mirror, proceeded to change lanes and POW! I merged right into a late model Mustang. The car was lowered and I looked right over the top of him when i checked my rear-view mirror.
Needless to say, the truck has much less damage than the 'stang. You can actually see the tire tread from the truck start to climb the side of his car.
A weird thing is that he's the new manager of an auto-parts store that I frequent. I just hope bolts don't start costing $100 each.

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, owwww. :nonono: Been there, almost done that myself in the company truck. Fortunately, a lot of drivers in my neck of the woods think the major function of the steering wheel is to be a mounting place for the horn button close to your hands. Of course, when they see that 850 lb camper shell (with another 1/2 ton of tools, cable and junk inside plus ladders on top) lean as I swerve back out of their lane; they start thinking about the advisability of zipping up and staying in my blind spot! :D
In a normal pickup, it's got to really suck!

Personally, I think it might not all be your fault..... I've noticed that Rocky (the wife's Ram) starts getting a little "snippy" (For instance, the ECU mysteriously will start calling for fast idle for no known reason?) when it's parked too close to Larry (my F150 - see my sig :p ). Never had that problem around the Rice-Eating Chevy Truck; it's seems like the Ram now "has a chip on it's shoulder" since the F150 moved in??? Maybe Dodge's are secretly afraid of Fords? :shrug: What's gonna happen when I start throwing money into mods to make the Ford a serious tow vehicle? :eek:

:lol:

The other Friday night, I was heading to a concert with a couple of co-workers in my '03 Ram, looked in my rear-view mirror, proceeded to change lanes and POW! I merged right into a late model Mustang. The car was lowered and I looked right over the top of him when i checked my rear-view mirror.

Don't you mean "side-view" mirror?

The Dodge being afraid of Fords? I don't know about that.
Okay, maybe just "intimidated". Of course, with an '03 you've probably got a Hemi (as opposed to the 5.9 in Mrs StDr's Ram). Got to spend 10 days with a Hemi in February - the local Dodge dealer gave all three Rodeo "managers" 2007 program trucks to drive, all stickered up with "Official Vehicle" tags. Mine was a Quad Cab, pretty much like my wife's; except a 4x4 with the STX4 package and, of course, a Hemi.

Hemi was nice, more grunt than the 5.9/360 (probably helped by the 3.73 locker in back); but I noticed two things:

1) The trip computer no longer does "Instantaneous MPG"; probably because:
2) I'm never gonna bee-yitch about the 5.9's fuel consumption again! :eek:

I couldn't conceive spending $41k for a 1/2-ton truck. If I actually were to spend that much - I couldn't afford to keep gas in it! :eek:
I don't remember the 406 in my F100 being that hungry, except when I was towing something really big or thumping on it at stoplights.......

If you had a blinker on, they're supposed to yield to you. But if you had a couple co-workers with you, I'd think one of them would have noticed the car. I typically play navigator when in the passenger seat calling out, "clear".

If you had a blinker on, they're supposed to yield to you.

Yeah, right! Larry, guys like you or me probably wouldn't think about blocking a turning vehicle; but we're in the minority anymore.

Around these parts; you might get lucky and find a teenager or two who actaully took Driver's Ed and paid attention - and even less who are afraid of the parent that handed them the truck keys. Other than that, I see d@mn few outside the 30- 60 age group who would give a second glance at your turn signal - and those that do generally find no other recourse than to pull up so they look you in the eye and glare as they continue to keep you out of the lane that they so obviously own. :mad:

One of my F150's great improvements over the Rice-Eating Chebbie is the inclusion of trun signals on the outer edege of the mirrors - no "I couldn't see your blinker". My favorite is the inclusion of power windows; so that, after a block or so of "the stare-down", I can punch down the passenger window and suggest that we could just "swap paint" or he could "...get out of the fargging way, you ice-hole!"

Well, I really can't say that I gave him a lot of room to move. I just couldn't see him. The other problem is this state is that about 10% of the people use blinkers. Less than that know how to use the Friggin' cruise control.

If you had a blinker on, they're supposed to yield to you.

When I first read this I was ready to call :bs: . but I downloaded Oklahoma's driver's manual and sure enough "When a driver ahead of you signals a lane change, slow down and leave space for the change."

Every place I've been the burden is on the driver making the lane change to ensure the lane he is moving into is clear.

I'll remember that the next time I drive through Oklahoma.

Blinkers, turn signals, what are those? Most people in So Cal don't use them!

As far as yielding to people with their turn signals and giving them space, yeah right. In rush hour, some drivers speed up to overtake on the right then at the last minute cut into the left lane to get ahead of everyone else who are waiting.

Tire tracks on the door of the other car? :eek: How high was the truck? I overheard a car repair shop owner say that an insurance company refused to cover a truck owner because he lifted the truck too high and that it was unsafe to drive on the streets. I also know of a tire shop owner who refused to sell some oversize truck tires to a customer that wanted to lift his truck due to liability incase of an accident.

When I first read this I was ready to call :bs: . but I downloaded Oklahoma's driver's manual and sure enough "When a driver ahead of you signals a lane change, slow down and leave space for the change."

Every place I've been the burden is on the driver making the lane change to ensure the lane he is moving into is clear.

I'll remember that the next time I drive through Oklahoma.

Are you impressed that I remembered that from 25 years ago? :D

I'm not saying that it's always done here, but that's the way it's supposed to work. I personally think the DMV ought to issue a written test every time you renew your license and a written and driving test beyond 70 every time you renew. Your test score in addition to your driving record then judges your insurance rates.

Tire tracks on the door of the other car? :eek: How high was the truck? I overheard a car repair shop owner say that an insurance company refused to cover a truck owner because he lifted the truck too high and that it was unsafe to drive on the streets. I also know of a tire shop owner who refused to sell some oversize truck tires to a customer that wanted to lift his truck due to liability incase of an accident.

The truck isn't lifted at all, it's just that the part of the rear fender caught my tire perfectly so that the rubber started to grip on it and pull up.

As far as big tires........I live in Arkansas, man. What do YOU think people do around here.

Actually, I have to admit the tires here aren't as big as those in San Antonio. I really don't mind the trucks here with the huge tires, the trucks are very obviously used. In SA, the trucks wouldn't have a scratch on them.