K&N FIPK II problem (service engine light)

hi, I recently installed the FIPK II onto my car and it ran fine. However, a few days later, my service engine light came on (referring back to the manual, it's the same as a check engine light)

I then reset my battery and the light was gone ... for another few days. But now it's back and it's annoying. I installed everything fine according to the directions and everything seems to be ok ... except why am I getting this light? I know that it isn't supposed to happen? Any insight?

• Sponsors (?)

Ponychick:

Did your fingers touch the MAS at all? This can sometimes cause your problem. Also check all connections to make sure they are secure. It might just be that something is loose. Whenever something like this happens to me when I do an install, I take the thing apart and do a complete re-install again, half of the time this fixes the problem. I end up doing then what I should have done the first time but didn't! LOL

Good Luck!

DID YOU PUT EXTRA OIL ON THE FILTER OR WAS THERE EXCESS ON THE FILTER?
K&N OIL EATS UP MASS AIR FLOW SENSORS. OIL COATS THE SENSOR THAT READS THE AIR FLOW GOING THROUGH THE SENSOR AND DOESN'T READ CORRECTLY, SO THE LITE COMES ON. AFTER TIME THE OIL BUILDS UP ON THE SENSOR AND WRECKING IT COMPLETELY.

FORDBOY99K said:
DID YOU PUT EXTRA OIL ON THE FILTER OR WAS THERE EXCESS ON THE FILTER?
K&N OIL EATS UP MASS AIR FLOW SENSORS. OIL COATS THE SENSOR THAT READS THE AIR FLOW GOING THROUGH THE SENSOR AND DOESN'T READ CORRECTLY, SO THE LITE COMES ON. AFTER TIME THE OIL BUILDS UP ON THE SENSOR AND WRECKING IT COMPLETELY.
attachment.php

Attachments

• capslock.gif
    capslock.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 131
What I would do is go down to radio shack and get yourself a small can of electrical parts cleaner. Dismantle your CAI and pick up the plastic housing for your MAF. (metal if it's 00 or older). put the straw on the can of the electrical parts cleaner and you will see a little rectangle metal box with a wire through it. THIS IS VERY DELICATE. DO NOT TOUCH IT. Just spray it throroughly with the elect. parts cleaner, let it dry, put it back together. What may have happened is that the oil has caused a build up on the MAF, therefore mesing up your reading on it. Also make sure you plugged your MAF wire back into it, and your little silicone hose is connected. If you have a 00 prior you will have two wires to plug into two parts on the CAI...one for your MAF and one for ATC (Air Temp Charge Sensor). in 01 they combined both into a single unit.