Kb 1.7

cronin49

Banned
Aug 12, 2003
SC
Just picked up the Kenne Bell 1.7 L supercharger and am very excited! I wanted to stick to a low boost, 6psi, to ensure engine longevity. I will finally be able to put down all those a-holes in the 350Z's, Z4's, etc. that are constantly screwing with me because my 'vert really stands out in the crowd. Maybe I can even give the C5's a run for the money, what do you think? A day doesn't go by that I don't get at least one complement from someone or I come out of a store and someome is checking out my car. See my sig. Right now my best time at the track is 13.79. What can I expect now with the supercharger? Of course I won't be able to run at the track anymore because I don't want to screw up the looks of my car by putting in a roll bar. I figure I will be putting out 370- 380 hp at the fly, at least. Also, what should I pay for the install? Thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude get some friends and a cooler of beer and install it yourself. It took me and my friends about 12 hours to do it. The instructions are without a doubt the best out there. There is a picture for every single step you do.

Blue Blurr said:
Why not get the 9psi? Its safe for the engine, most people have had no problems so far, except a few.

KB doesn't recomend that high of a boost, and I am not intercooled at this time, so they told me the gain between a 6 psi pulley and a 9 isn't worth it because of the excess intake heat. Most of the hp gained with a 9 psi pulley would be offset by the heat according to them.

my_03GT said:
Dude get some friends and a cooler of beer and install it yourself. It took me and my friends about 12 hours to do it. The instructions are without a doubt the best out there. There is a picture for every single step you do.

What about the tune? And yeah, what is that guy saying that he only sees Z4's in Phila? They are all over the place. So am I right, the new BMW's are called the Z4?

cronin49 said:
KB doesn't recomend that high of a boost, and I am not intercooled at this time, so they told me the gain between a 6 psi pulley and a 9 isn't worth it because of the excess intake heat. Most of the hp gained with a 9 psi pulley would be offset by the heat according to them.
If you get the intercooler, 9psi is fine. 10 psi is fine at 94 octane I believe.

Blue Blurr said:
Why not get the 9psi? Its safe for the engine, most people have had no problems so far, except a few.
Many people say "go with this...or go with that...my car's fine with it", but have only had it for 6 months or a year and have no idea what boost does to an engine that isn't built for it over time.

He's talking about longevity, so unless someone has been running a KB for 3-5 years or more, I'd save the "It's good...no problems" comments.

I remember people telling me all the time about why don't you run 20+lbs of boost on my eclipse (which actually has a motor built for boost). I've heard the "motor's great...it'll work...it can handle it", which is true for the most part, but not when you're talking longevity. You can ask any eclipse owner who has run high boost and chances are he's rebuilt his engine at least once or as done a few head/headgasket jobs over time.

Point is...everything breaks over time, but I think he'd rather stay at 6psi and get a little longer life out of his engine. 9psi may be fine and maybe still good a year from now, but eventually it'll wear a little faster than 6psi setup. Unless your car primarily is a track car, I'd lean a little more towards longevity that performance for that daily driver. It's not like 6 psi isn't gonna be fricken quick as hell anyways...

Your choice...your money...as long as you're happy who cares :banana:

cronin49 said:
What about the tune? And yeah, what is that guy saying that he only sees Z4's in Phila? They are all over the place. So am I right, the new BMW's are called the Z4?

Kenne Bell comes with the supplied chip so you do not need a tune. If you decide to get a custom tune your warranty is void on the Kenne Bell. Don't waste a 1,000 bucks letting someone install it for you, it is an easy job and you will have the satisfaction of knowing everything was done the right way by you....just my opinion though... :rolleyes:

my_03GT said:
Kenne Bell comes with the supplied chip so you do not need a tune. If you decide to get a custom tune your warranty is void on the Kenne Bell. Don't waste a 1,000 bucks letting someone install it for you, it is an easy job and you will have the satisfaction of knowing everything was done the right way by you....just my opinion though... :rolleyes:

Personally, I would never run on a power adder without a dyno tune. There is no way that it is going to be dialed-in through a mail-order tune.

Congrats!

I'm running the 6psi kit...for the same reasoning as you. I spent the extra $$$ on polished to make her a nice show goer.

Do a baseline dyno run before...so you can really judge the gains...we gained 115rwhp with mine and got her to 340rwhp...so about 400fwhp.

4:10s in the a$$ and she really ripps.

Not going to the track...I need one less obsession in life.

If you need some tuning help, we've got a good guy up here at www.steeda.ca his name is Paul Meister. Might want to zipp him a note if you need too.

Not sure how far away you are from Kennedy's in Tonawanda...but they seem to know their stuff too. And there's always Lideo at Alternative.

Get her in the hands of a qualified SCT Tuner...and she'll run perfect...great #'s and totally safe. :nice:

That sucker was meant to scream at 9-14psi, not turn into a hot air pump at a measly 6psi. It's one thing if you plan on upgrading the internals later on, or can't afford to spring for the intercooler set up to run it at 9psi right away, but it's a big waste of money, time and not to mention the blowers potential to buy it to only run it at 6psi on purpose. You'd have been better off to go with an Allen or an FRPP if 6psi was all you were ever going to see. You would have made the same amount of power and it would have cost you far less.

Gearbanger 101 said:
That sucker was meant to scream at 9-14psi, not turn into a hot air pump at a measly 6psi. It's one thing if you plan on upgrading the internals later on, or can't afford to spring for the intercooler set up to run it at 9psi right away, but it's a big waste of money, time and not to mention the blowers potential to buy it to only run it at 6psi on purpose. You'd have been better off to go with an Allen or an FRPP if 6psi was all you were ever going to see. You would have made the same amount of power and it would have cost you far less.

Whatever...it's my money...I can pi$$ it up a fuggin tree if I'd like.

I guess I should trade in my Tag watch on a Timex...because both of them tell time right?

Go flap your gums on the '05 forum where some dude is going to drop nearly $70+k cdn on a new Saleen where they only run 4.5 lbs of boost...and tell tim how much money he would save if he did it YOUR way.

Or better yet...start sending Ken Christley at KB some e-mails...and you can debate your knowledge and opinions with him.

:bang:

2000BLKGT said:
Whatever...it's my money...I can pi$$ it up a fuggin tree if I'd like.

I guess I should trade in my Tag watch on a Timex...because both of them tell time right?

Go flap your gums on the '05 forum where some dude is going to drop nearly $70+k cdn on a new Saleen where they only run 4.5 lbs of boost...and tell tim how much money he would save if he did it YOUR way.

Or better yet...start sending Ken Christley at KB some e-mails...and you can debate your knowledge and opinions with him.

:bang:
Well, first off I wasn't talking to you. My response was directed to the original poster, so feel free to step off of your soap box! I could care less what you spend your money on, or what kind of watch you wear. The bottom line is that twin screw blowers are the least efficient hot air pumps below 6psi. You can quote all of the so called experts you'd like.....It’s not a debatable matter, its simple thermodynamics! We all know that the KB's are a top notch blower, but the fact of the matter is, that for the measly 6psi either of you guys are running and the amount of heat they make at that level, you could have done just as well with a cheaper set up. Twin Screws mean meant to be spun hard. That’s what they were created for. I high-volume, positive displacement blower that could move more air on the top end as an alternative to the less efficient (at higher blower speeds) Roots type!