KB complete, first test run going into boost (impressions)...

2000 4.6

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2001
Northern VA
KB complete, first test run going into boost (impressions)...pics inside!!!

Okay, I finished up my KB install Saturday night. I checked all of the fluids, took it out for a quick spin (without going into boost), brought it back to the house, rechecked the fluids and everything looked good. So then I took it out for the first boost test drive. My first impression....holy crap this thing is fast. I was at a stop light and I took off normally. I went into second gear still taking it easy. Then I just barely blipped the throttle and all the sudden my ass end broke completely loose and I was almost sideways. I am definately going to have to learn how to drive my car again. It is a completely different car now. I took my brother out for a test drive in it and I had the car in 4th gear and I stomped on it. I looked over at him right as I was getting on it and both of our heads snapped back...it pulls so hard. I let my friend drive it (he has a moddified 03 cobra so I wasn't worried about him messing anything up) and I was in the passenger seat. He got on it one time and my heart seriously skipped a beat. It really scared the crap out of me. I can't wait to test it out some more!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Anyways, I am smiling ear to ear today. You couldn't kick the smile off my face right now. The car really surpises me. The kit is so well engineered, it is amazing. The car runs perfect like it did before the blower went on...perfect idle, pefect driveablitly, etc. I guess this is thanks to Ken and the other guys at KB who write the programs for the chips.

The only issue I have right now, is my car is having some problems starting. When I first go to start it after it sits overnight it takes 3 or 4 times before it actually starts. Then when it does first come on, it is rough but then smoothes out very quickly. I am going to call KB tech dept. today and see if they know what could be causing this. It might be my TPS sensor, I don't know.

I am hoping to get some pictures up soon!

P.S. My rear tires are not going to last very long!
:lol:

• Sponsors (?)

did u check for any vac leaks anywhere? it is possible u could have a tiny leak! either that or your car is adjusting to the new settings and the supercharger!

man i feel so left out! i want a kb so bad but the wife wont let me! i hate being married sometimes!

2000 4.6 said:
Okay, I finished up my KB install Saturday night. I checked all of the fluids, took it out for a quick spin (no boost), brought it back to the house, rechecked the fluids and everything looked good. So then I took it out for the first boost test drive. My first impression....holy crap this thing is fast. I was at a stop light and I took off normally. I went into second gear still taking it easy. Then I just barely blipped the throttle and all the sudden my ass end broke completely loose and I was almost sideways. I am definately going to have to learn how to drive my car again. It is a completely different car now. I took my brother out for a test drive in it and I had the car in 4th gear and I stomped on it. I looked over at him right as I was getting on it and both of our heads snapped back...it pulls so hard. I let my friend drive it (he has a moddified 03 cobra so I wasn't worried about him messing anything up) and I was in the passenger seat. He got on it one time and my heart seriously skipped a beat. It really scared the crap out of me. I can't wait to test it out some more!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Anyways, I am smiling ear to ear today. You couldn't kick the smile off my face right now. The car really surpises me. The kit is so well engineered, it is amazing. The car runs perfect like it did before the blower went on...perfect idle, pefect driveablitly, etc. I guess this is thanks to Ken and the other guys at KB who write the programs for the chips.

The only issue I have right now, is my car is having some problems starting. When I first go to start it after it sits overnight it takes 3 or 4 times before it actually starts. Then when it does first come on, it is rough but then smoothes out very quickly. I am going to call KB tech dept. today and see if they know what could be causing this. It might be my TPS sensor, I don't know.

I am hoping to get some pictures up soon!

P.S. My rear tires are not going to last very long!
:lol:

Welcome to the club, I still have the smile everytime I get into the car. I haven't really raced too much yet but I wouped a GTO (not hard) and kept up w/ a lighting pickup down the highway this weekend. I shut it down at 110mph but he kept going (crazy F***er, I just got a speeding ticket there two weeks ago and I didn't neet another one). Have fun and keep it shiny side up.

That's cool...you sound just like I did after she was all bolted up...and funny thing is...the car continues to surprise me.

It totally changes the car, and you do have to approach driving it differently...if you want to actually move forward. :D And the thing WILL NOT stop pulling...no matter the gear...no matter the rpms.

KB should have a warning on their site that says "getting screwed by twins causes big chubby".

Mine is put to bed now for the winter. :( Big downer.

GTsleeper said:
If you don't mind me asking what was your total price on the kit you got. Also what kit did you exactly get. Congrats on the KB!

The prices are on KB's website. What they have listed is the only price available...no discounts, even through their dealers. I got:

KB 9psi intercooled kit
90mm MAF
Big Tube Kit
75mm Accufab throttle body
Cold air kit
Switch Chip
Fuel Pressure Gauge w/ required adapter (additional)
Boost Gauge

Extras bought elsewhere:

Denso U-groove spark plugs
Autometer dual gauge pod

what did you gap your plugs at? That could be affecting the startup. If the gap is too big then that will cause it. Have fun with the KB, but keep the RPM's down if you can help it. Remember RPM kills stock rods and pistons much faster then boost will.

Edit add in: The larger gap will also cause the car to run rough until warm. Also look for a vacuum leak as stated before.

Dan_Soprano said:
Have fun with the KB, but keep the RPM's down if you can help it. Remember RPM kills stock rods and pistons much faster then boost will.
listen to this guy.
i got my KB on, and go to redline like 2 times and some hesitation when shifted at 5700 from 2nd to 3rd, and then i blew a rod. now engine is in the shop for repair, i stroke it to 5.1L with forged internal = 6 grand

01MustangGT said:
listen to this guy.
i got my KB on, and go to redline like 2 times and some hesitation when shifted at 5700 from 2nd to 3rd, and then i blew a rod. now engine is in the shop for repair, i stroke it to 5.1L with forged internal = 6 grand
I'm planning on stroking my KB blown engine. Which kit did you get?

How do those stroker kits do with compression? Raise, or lower?

I was considering getting a stroker kit to start (and stay N/A a while), with VT stage 2 cams, but was concerned with any compression later on if I were to get a blower. Or does it typically run with stock compression?