KB Dyno tonight

I'm sure that Ken from KB is a stand up guy, but if I was to spend that much on a blower, why not $300 more for a custom tune?

You can almost never get the same power, drivability and safety from a mail order tune as opposed to a custom tune.

Good luck with it. About 99% of all GT owners wish they had even 280 rwhp, you'll get it figured out. :)

• Sponsors (?)

el_kid_1 said:
Something is absolutely wrong. :shrug: You can have 279 rwhp with a few bolt ons. Hope you figure it out. If it helps, the first time I dynoed my car after the KB install, it put to the wheels 367 horses. I was very disappointed since I was hoping for 400+ rwhp. It took Ken about four iterations to tweek the chip calibration. I'm now putting 398 rwhp on the power mode and 418 rwhp on the shootout mode. That's with the 9 psi pulley. I'm yet to dyno the 10 psi pulley which is the one I have on now. With the smaller pulley the car feels like the mother of all beasts!! :nice: Let me know if I can help somehow.

Have you run it at the track?

I don't believe he has a base dyno run without the blower. Something is off here. Slipping clutch? belt? Mustang dyno setup wrong? Will be interesting to see what the solution is.

Red35th said:
I'm sure that Ken from KB is a stand up guy, but if I was to spend that much on a blower, why not $300 more for a custom tune?

You can almost never get the same power, drivability and safety from a mail order tune as opposed to a custom tune.

Good luck with it. About 99% of all GT owners wish they had even 280 rwhp, you'll get it figured out. :)

KB's argument is they have history from developing and selling SC's that their tune is real close.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Ken C @ KB. When I was talking with Ken ( I had a 9 PSI kit on order), he answered any question I had.
I cancelled the order as I didn't know if I wanted to put that much money into an 04 when 05's were coming out with new everything.

Red35th said:

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first run on the dyno was 302rwhp...and A/F was a tad too rich and inconsistent...then my tuner went to work...a couple of runs...some tweaking here and there...and she was hitting 340 with A/F on a rail.

IMO...installing a lung without a quality custom tune...is like putting skinny bald tires on the car.

I hope you can find a tuner in your area...because going back and forth with KB (and I totally agree...Ken C rocks...awesome service) will be very time consuming...while a tuner can address any of these concerns in minutes.

The money you spend for a custom tune will be worth every cent versus the frustration of waiting...plugging a new chip in...back to the dyno...crossing your fingers...etc. And the SCT chip you have is the chip you need...all you have to find is a capable tuner.

Good luck!

Well the A/F ration went as rich as 10:1. The dyno was a good dyno (same they use as Kenne Bell). Ken said there is something wrong definetely and I need to find a couple things out(timing IAT, ECT). I did find a SCT dealer in my area but he costs $175/hr, this is a little rich for my blood (kind of like my A/F:D). I will give Ken a chance, I don't know how many times I will be going to the dyno, it cost me $88 for three pulls and a wideband A/F(which Kenne Bell does not trust). We will see.

raykrv6a said:
Have you run it at the track?

I don't believe he has a base dyno run without the blower. Something is off here. Slipping clutch? belt? Mustang dyno setup wrong? Will be interesting to see what the solution is.

I have not run it at the track yet, I was supposed to go tomorrow w/ some slicks but I am not now. The only thing I would do now is make an a$$ out of my self w/ my 279 rwhp 10:1 A/F pig of a Mustang
:notnice:

2002BLGT said:
Is Ken going to send you another chip and you send the one you have now back or do you have to send this one back and wait for it to be reprogrammed and sent back ??

I think that he is sending a new chip and I send him this one back then. I might have to pay a core charge and get it back when I return. No biggie. I am contemplating just going with a custom tune or waiting for Ken to figure it out. I might wait to make sure the problem is with the chip and then get a custom tune.

Thanks for the info

raykrv6a said:
Couple of links for you. The VT cams seem to work well and the VT guys answer questions on ModularDepot. Depot seems to be more technically slanted then here. Search on VT Stage for cam info at depot. Obviously you can put the cams in before you get blower.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1877

http://www.modulardepot.com/index.php?cPath=23_27_41

Me, I'm going back and forth between ordering a 05 GT or keeping the 04 GT and putting on a KB until the new Cobra comes out. Decisions, decisions.

I am sure Ken will do everything he can to help you. they seem like nice people. He reasured me enough.

I have a question, what was the peak torque? and at what RPM?

What was the RPM for peak power, also?

mrpositraction said:
Well the A/F ration went as rich as 10:1. The dyno was a good dyno (same they use as Kenne Bell). Ken said there is something wrong definetely and I need to find a couple things out(timing IAT, ECT). I did find a SCT dealer in my area but he costs $175/hr, this is a little rich for my blood (kind of like my A/F:D). I will give Ken a chance, I don't know how many times I will be going to the dyno, it cost me $88 for three pulls and a wideband A/F(which Kenne Bell does not trust). We will see.

175 for dyno time or for tuning also? Good tuners can help find the problem. Did you install a boost gauge? Is it at 6psi during your run?

raykrv6a said:
175 for dyno time or for tuning also? Good tuners can help find the problem. Did you install a boost gauge? Is it at 6psi during your run?

It is 100/hour for dyno, and 75/hour tune. I think I will wait and make sure there is nothing really messed up and then go get a custom tune. I do have a boost guage and it was at 6psi from 2000 - redline.