KB guys - advice needed - is this KB bad?

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
As you guys might know, I have had my KB up for sale for a while. Well someone bought it (he will remain anonymous unless he decides to post in this thread) and I shipped it last week.

So he called me tonight and said he saw some things that concern him and he wants to send it back and get his money back. I don't know what to do. I tend to think (1) he is overreacting, (2) that used parts can't be expected to be perfect, and (3) used parts are sold as is.

I never had any problem with the blower at all, and I never noticed the things he is talking about. I suggested he take it to OPCON up there and have them check it out and tell him if his concerns are valid, but he seems unwilling to do that. He wants to call off the deal after it has been executed.

So I don't know what to do. I want to do the right thing. Are his concerns valid? I need your all's advice

He says there is a crack in the metal between the #7 and #8 runners. Is this a problem?
HPIM3568.JPG

HPIM3571.JPG

HPIM3573.JPG

HPIM3574.JPG

He says there is a scratch/mark in the blower above the #8 inlet and also in the lower intake #8 runner so he is worried something hard went through there and messed something up. Remember that at least 2 other people have owned this blower before me and it was rebuilt almost exaclty one year ago. Again, does this make the KB suspect.
HPIM3578.JPG

The oil in the blower (from my blow-by) worries him.
HPIM3583.JPG

Something about the inlet and outlet not lining up (?)
HPIM3591.JPG

HPIM3610.JPG

And he is worried about the dirt back here; he is worried it might be an indication of a possible leak.
HPIM3619.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM3568.JPG
    HPIM3568.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 107
  • HPIM3571.JPG
    HPIM3571.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 89
  • HPIM3573.JPG
    HPIM3573.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 92
  • HPIM3574.JPG
    HPIM3574.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 91
  • HPIM3578.JPG
    HPIM3578.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 67
  • HPIM3583.JPG
    HPIM3583.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 81
  • HPIM3591.JPG
    HPIM3591.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 84
  • HPIM3610.JPG
    HPIM3610.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 98
  • HPIM3619.JPG
    HPIM3619.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Sponsors (?)

I dont know much about blowers, but if I got one that had a crack in it I wouldnt be too happy. was the crack there when you had it on? Im not sure if it would make a difference, but I wouldnt want a cracked blower.

BlackVert said:
(3) used parts are sold as is.

bingo.

i had a similar incident with a local guy about a ecu for a talon. long story short i obliged a refund and received a diff ecm than what i gave him---never again will i offer refunds on parts that i know are good.

if it came off a running car then he should suck it up and fix whatever he thinks is wrong with it.

if he sends it back, hit me up---i might be in the market for a kenne bell

i did not notice it when i had it, but i never looked that closely at it. did you see where it is? it doesn't look like a very big problem to me. what i mean is, after all, it is not like it is a place that might come loose, or cause a leak, or a stress point, or anything like that.

BlackVert said:
i did not notice it when i had it, but i never looked that closely at it. did you see where it is? it doesn't look like a very big problem to me. what i mean is, after all, it is not like it is a place that might come loose, or cause a leak, or a stress point, or anything like that.
Like I said, I dont know much about blowers, but it dosent look like its in a spot that would cause a problem.

I could only see a crack being there due to the blower being dropped .... or smacked into something. From our eyes ... it could have been the seller, purchaser, or even the shipper. Who knows?

I'm with Ben. Used = as is. I've been in the purchaser's EXACT situation before. I bought a used Eaton years ago that was wining & squealing (way worse than normal). Nothing I could do. So I sold it again, letting the purchaser know that it was doing such & that it probably needed to be rebuilt.

The crack is a non issue to me. That part that you show is just to show that it was intended for a stock lower intake. It has NOTHING to do with the functionality of the blower.
The scratch is another non issue. It goes from the blower to the lower intake on the #8 cyclinder. So, he can use his own stock lower intake if he's that worried. But I am sure he can see the entire length of the runner and see if there is anything wedged in there.
The dirt on the back again a non issue. Take it apart clean it and reseal it.
Some people think everything should be perfect or better than new when they barter for used items. That to me is just stupid and incredibly unreasonable.

I vote: NO REFUND
He needs to man up and deal with it. I am sure you gave him a good bargin for his buck.

When you buy stuff used expect minor problems, Not sure what you sold it for but I just bought a KB for 3500
If you sold it at a decent price then, I would have it repaired and move on, If you want new pristine then buy new and pay new prices.

The runners can be TIG welded, I would only be ANAL about the actual blower unit itself not the intake, worst case buy another intake from KB

SeventyMach1 said:
I could only see a crack being there due to the blower being dropped .... or smacked into something. From our eyes ... it could have been the seller, purchaser, or even the shipper. Who knows?

I'm with Ben. Used = as is. I've been in the purchaser's EXACT situation before. I bought a used Eaton years ago that was wining & squealing (way worse than normal). Nothing I could do. So I sold it again, letting the purchaser know that it was doing such & that it probably needed to be rebuilt.
or a previous owner, or expanding from lots of heat maybe, or maybe a backfire years ago? there are lots of things that might explain it, but it doesn't mean the blower is compromised.

Gixser said:
When you buy stuff used expect minor problems, Not sure what you sold it for but I just bought a KB for 3500
If you sold it at a decent price then, I would have it repaired and move on, If you want new pristine then buy new and pay new prices.

The runners can be TIG welded, I would only be ANAL about the actual blower unit itself not the intake, worst case buy another intake from KB
i sold it for $2170 shipped with all kinds of extras thrown in

did you see the size of the crack and where it is? i never even noticed it. you can choose to believe that or not.

and it has nothing to do with whether the blower will work or not. it is not at a stress point or in a place that holds the blower in place or in a place that is in danger of causing a leak.

bimmertech said:
if it came off a running car then he should suck it up and fix whatever he thinks is wrong with it.

if he sends it back, hit me up---i might be in the market for a kenne bell
it did come off a running car. and it was 100% fine when i took it off.

i'm sure he'd be happy to sell it to you.

i think i'll offer him $200 to get the crack fixed/welded.

as I said on corral, if the seller does not know of a problem or defect with the product that buyer has no reasonable expectation of disclosure. Which means if you didn't know, then how are you supposed to tell others of the problem. Used item = SOLD AS IS Some people think its a dick move, but its not your problem. The guy probably has buyers remorse and is looking for an easy way out.

i wouldn't be thrilled with it but if he saw pictures and it was described acurately before purchase then it's his problem. that doesn't mean you're going to change his mind about it though.
i stay away from used parts as much as possible because you never really know what you're getting..

The crack in the intake concerns me a little. If it gives any when you push on it, I would fix it. If it's still solid I say leave it alone. Everything else looks like a non-issue to me.

Maybe offer to pay the repair cost for the intake if he sends you a receipt for it. Even if he pays for the repair himself, he still got an awesome deal. I wouldn't give him a refund.

Why not forward those pics to Kenne Bell and see what their techs think? Personnally the only thing I would be concerned about is the crack and would expect a little money back to fix the crack. I think you're right on with offering him money. But not too much, he already got a sick deal on it.

I would be concerned of the crack myself. That 2nd pic shows the crack almost to the end of the line if you will. Even though everyone is saying it's not a pressure point area and what not metal expands with heat. Well KB make a good amount of heat, so I could see that crack prossibly growing just by expanding and retracting during cold downs and running temps. But then the questions still becomes how in the hell did it get there to begin with. If you had no knowledge of it you have no responsability(sp?) in fixing it. I would offer to pay half of the repairs for the crack the other stuff is no concern.