KB guys - advice needed - is this KB bad?

That crack is nothing. Worst case, if he is paranoid, he can get a machinist to weld it up for free or cheap and have the deck on the plenum milled .010 for flatness for very little cost. As for the oil and dirt, things get dirty and intakes get oily. I could understand why a roots or screw type blower would get more oil in it than others considering it replaces the intake plenum.

BUT on the other hand, you could end up having to deal with a ton of flak from this guy if you don't take it back. There are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to buy it for that price even given what you just posted.

• Sponsors (?)

Sold as is...well, to me says SOLD, no longer your problem....seems a little harsh, but so is life. From the time I've been looking around here, and all the threads I've reaf from you, and although I've never met you, your internet self does not seem dishonest...to me. I don't think you would knowledgably sell crap.
Anyway, the crack, to me, looks like a casting flaw, maybe I'm seeing somethng diffenret, but that is of no concern to me.
The misalignment...whatever, mine is the same way, came like that, it's made like that...
Mine is dirty in the same places as well...
The scratch thing...somethng hard going thru...not a problem to me, it's a compressor with very tight clearances, something going thru would destroy the lobes...you should see what a rag could do to a jet engine...

Spending that much cash on a used part is a gamble, I'd be nervous if something didn'[t look right. I've got a mechanical background and those issues aren't issues to me, I'd bolt on and go. (you should see some of the things wrong with the planes flying over your house right now...wing cracks, engine sshut down etc). I would not refund in this instance
Tough spot, but good luck, hope everyone ends up satisfied.

It looks like (from the pics) that that plate that is cracked is just a plate and that there is no individual runners (correct?). Like posted your getting "used" parts you cannot expect them to be factory new and fresh. I have a buddy who is "very" anal on his stuff to a degree of insanity, he expects top notch stuff no matter what and is picky as hell. Not a problem in some regards but I refuse to help him look or sell anything...as an example he feels 99% of all rims (american racing and others he has in his head are cheap soft *** knockoffs of fiksi or whatever) and such are junk and only wants some 4,000$ rims and bitches when he cannot find a style he likes...madness...just madness. No pleasing people like that.

as others have stated i would only be worried IF the crack caused any weakness or warping around it. the guy is already getting a steal on that blower, i would not offer 200. at most $50 to have it welded.

definatly send the pictures to KB and ask them what they think

I would say if you didn't know about the crack before you sold it and the blower was sold for a good price (which it was), then it's the buyer's problem. You cant expect everything to be perfect when your buying used parts.

That's my 2 cents!

The only issue I see is the crack, but to me it's a non-issue as long as the gasket doesn't fail. You could literally take every bit of metal between the runners out and still have it seal around the outside edges and work just fine. Like blksn955.o pointed out, it's looks like it's just a plate on the bottom of the blower to fit it to whichever lower intake you (or the original owner) chose to run when you purchased it. It would take a welder literally 5 or 10 minutes with a die grinder and a TIG welder to have that thing as good as new. I'd say offer $25-50 to have it fixed and call it a day. Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware... it's a used part, used by three different people, it's not going to look as though it was just purchased from KB.

Walk away...........maybe.

Tell the guy you gave him a good price and that the issues he mentioned have most likely existed since the blower was new. The blower works exactly as it is expected to and has without any problems for quite some time.

If the buyer was really that anal and concerned about all of these issues, he should have viewed the parts prior to purchase OR he should have bought a new KB. Like mentioned near the beginning of this thread, I'd be concerned for you that this guy would end up sending you back parts that were not yours to begin with. This guy might already have a busted up KB that he is waiting to unload. Who knows, but it is a possiblity.

When you buy used...........you always get less than perfect. To what degree is the chance you take WHEN you buy sight unseen.

I think the main thing is really what the buyer "thought" he was getting. Not sure what the advertisement stated, but hopefully the buyer knew this blower had some age and had been rebuilt AND had been owend by two other people. "Good" condition would be realistic, but anything more than that may be misleading.

Who knows, maybe the buyer is a real nice guy and will work with you.

Hopefully the buyer is not on the boards, cause if it were me, I'd handle this privately. Plenty of stangers lookin for a KB on other boards I'm sure.

the crack is the only issue. It get supported from the lower below it so no real danger of it blowing through - offer to pay for the welding fee to get it welded. Should be less than $200 your ready to offer. It's a fair offer on your part. I would not tender a refund.

Not sure what I would do in your shoes... BUT I can say that these are the reasons that I will only but used parts locally so I can inspect and pay cash.

I would figure you can probably agree on a small $ value for the crack but it is a non-functional problem. Myself I would probably get it fixzed just so that it wouldn't eventually send metal into my motor.

I would not be worried about that crack. The crack looks between the runners, so even if that crack is all the way through the air would just be transfered to the other runner. Most cost maybe $20 to fix that. Keep your money. He got a steal anyways. As long as you are positive that the crack was not there when you had it, then you are fine. As said earlier. He could have dropped it or it could have even been damaged in shipping.

well the guy is sending it back. his wife told him to go ahead and buy a new one. merry christmas to him!

i'm getting another discharge for it. steve (94twinscrew on corral) is going to clean it up, put the other discharge on it, reinstall the manifolds with the correct sealer and send it back.

so it will be up for grabs again in a couple of weeks.

"(3) used parts are sold as is."

If you actually SAID that in your advertisment or PRIOR exchange and have proof then you are ok. That being said, the guy is a little "anal." Its a used blower, give me a break!

Also, I always sell things as is. Reason is because I know I am honest! But I don't know someone elses tactics. If there is a problem I will in good faith tell someone b4 I sell it and thats why it gets sold AS IS Period. If a part has a defect, I usually won't sell it though. Too much potential problem especially with anal people. :nonono:

He prob bought your blower BEFORE his wife told him he could buy a new one. After she said he could have bought a new one, he started all this junk. I don't know but I think he may have played a part in the crack forming there.

Or his wife is making him sent it back because he didnt tell her he was buying it and just lying about buying a new one but not buying it because he doesnt have the funds for it.Thats my thought but you are a cool guy for doing that make sure he pays for shipping