Keep the fastback or go modern?

69sportroof

Feb 18, 2003
Weird question I know....
I bought my 69 mustang about 3 years ago...a straight, rust free fasback w/ 351w and c4. Over the years I've completely replaced the suspension front to back, all of the steering components as well as all the power steering stuff. Interior is all new as well...the car is nice I guess. The thing is that my goals for the car were always to drop in a built motor and overdrive tranny and turn this into my sexy daily driver. Im starting to think that this may not be the best idea:shrug: First, the car runs and drives quite nicely as it sits(albeit a bit slowly). second, the obvious cost of such an endeavor is a bit scary to say the least. third, I worry about the car too much as it is...I couldn't imagine how I'd feel after dropping 6-8000 dollars of motor and powertrain into her. Lastly, I could do it better, faster, safer, and more reliably with a newer car of my choice(i.e. lightning, or 03-04 cobra) not to mention a warranty. I love my fastback I just don't know if i'm "in love" with her anymore:shrug: I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to it( accident, vandalism, theft)just because i wanted to drive it everyday. All bs aside, sorry for the long, boring, whine guys.. Im just at a loss right now on my next course of action. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• resize.JPG
    resize.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 208
  • Sponsors (?)

Keep the car and buy a beater for your daily driving.

I was thinking the same thing a long time ago.
When I was 18, I wanted a new Toyota 4x4 and was thinking of selling my 67 Fastback, almost did. I ended up buying a used Honda CRX to be a daily driver. The 67 sat for many years but I still have it.

Depends on your budget, but I solved the same dilemma with my '65, which I've owned for 20+ years. About 2-years ago, I pulled the tired old drivetrain (along with just about everything else) and built the car I REALLY wanted - in my case, a fast car with plenty of power and handling good enough to really enjoy a few fast open-track days a year. The car drives and handles great now and could, I suppose, suffice as a daily driver, but it's not the ideal situation.

I created the ideal situation by buying an '05 Roush Mustang GT. Not quite as fast as the '65 (but fast enough), and 1000x more civilized. A fine daily driver... Don't get rid of your classic!:D

I couldn't be more pleased with my '05 GT [Mustang, that is; I only wish I had a Ford GT] as a daily driver; it's much more comfortable than even the previous generation Mustangs [all of a sudden my '98 feels very cramped inside]. There's much more interior space, and it very smooth-riding for a Mustang.
However, I would not recommend selling your '69 to get one. If you aren't looking to spend that much on another vehicle, I too suggest just getting something inexpensive to drive everyday. But maybe that's just me, for I love '69s and just began looking for one for my next project. But if you really don't want your '69, I'm all but certain you'd be very happy with an '05-6.
Good luck on your decision, both are such nice cars that it makes deciding on one or the other pretty difficult.

My vote is to do both, but the budget might not allow that.

This is only my opinion here...

I think the key to the correct answer was hidden in your post...you do not LOVE the old car anymore. In my opinion keeping, driving, or working on an old car is more akin to a love affair than a matter of transportation. I like to see the classic cars in the hands of folks who are smitten and still in the love affair stage. If you turn the '69 into a fire breathing Cobra beater (definitely possible) then it will not serve you well in the daily driver role. Get a new Stang with warranty, airbags, crush zones, and good air-conditioning for your daily driver needs and keep the old girl for weekend or occaisonal use, insurance is cheap for a recreational-only vehicle.

I read some more into what you wrote...you are afraid of dumping $6-8K ito the old car, but you wouldn't be worried about a $20K newer one? That is what you'll pay for that 03-04 Cobra that still has warranty, maybe more. If you have the $6-8K on hand then use that as a down payment on an '06-GT, with that much down you should be able to have manageable monthly payments, then you can have your cake and eat it too.

Just my opinion...I personally love your car...The body sytle and the pure muscle look..I'd give the car some muscle and get a cheaper daily driver if you are using this car as your primary driver,,,which I wouldn't do anyways..For the $$$ of a newer cobra or 05/06 GT,,I'd build a nice 408,,some nice rubber,,,and susension tuned up,,either road race or drag,whatever your preference..And it'll cost you faaar less than a newer car and you still have your car,but only badass fast one,,and a seperate daily driver to boot...If you are thinking of ridding the fastback,please let me know what you would want for it please..:canada:

WOW, thanks guys:nice: I don't think i could have asked for better posts than you guys gave. I guess a little background is in order: I do have a daily driver, a 1996 ford t-bird...130hp 3.8 liter v6, 3800 lbs, 100,000 miles very comfortable but almost dangerously weak and on its last leg. I also am a 21 year old college student who still lives at home:( (I've been blessed with a very supportive mother) I don't know if any of you guys have ever left your classics in a college parking lot filled with young stupid kids on their Gosh damm cell phones! trying to listen to music, eat, talk, play......everything BUT drive their damm car!....(sigh) :mad: it was defintely one of the most stressful things I've gone through lately. I guess it's mainly that if something were to happen to the car I may not be able to fix it the way it should be...and before that happens and a good,straight car is damaged, I just thought that it may be better to pass it along to someone more capable than myself(ie. own their own house w/locked garage, ample funds, all the stuff that college students just don't have. preferably someone that will truly take care of the car) THis should be a pretty easy decision... it's just that I can't count the number of times I've read stories of guys selling their classics on a whim and regretting it....F-O-R-E-V-E-R. I don't think I'll be one of those guys but I'd hate to find out too late that I am. Geez, I feel like im trying to break up with my girlfriend:(

Attachments

• resize2.JPG
    resize2.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 111
Oh yeah I almost forgot....I hope i didn't give the impression that mommy bought all my toys:p ...she didn't those were actually my only two major purchases.....ever. Another thing my mom just bought a 2005 fully loaded 2dr honda accord w/v6 3.0l 240hp...and frankly it is scary how much faster that damm honda is than my fricken stang. QUITE humbling to say the least....

Edbert- thanks for the post, you should be a psychologist man...ya read me like a book...I guess there is something to be said for experience huh?

Keep your 69 but instead of upgrading it, use the money to buy an inexpensive but good late model car to drive daily. Trade in your decrepit daily driver and use the money for a good down or to finish paying off the new car. You can never get a classic to feel as comfy as a modern car and a modern car will never look and sound as good as your Mustang. Get an econobox and keep the 69 for weekends...besides, by the time you graduate there will be more modern parts for your stang and you will have more $$ to spend on it.

The answer to oyur question is an easy one.
Ask yourself if you could handle seeing someone else driving your stang,abusing it or flat out raggin it out. If the answer is NO! Then you need to keep the car. You are still in love. If your answer is YES. Then by all means let her go. You don't love her anymore and its time to move on.

I had the same dillema as a teenager. I wanted better performance, so I bought a new 5.0. I ended up selling my 68.

That 5.0 is a distant memory, but I tracked down my 68 and bought it back. I certainly regret it, as the two people that owned in since *trashed* it. I have a lot of work cut out for me, but I look forward to it.

Oh, and I sold my '96 Cobra a couple of years ago. It was fun, but we needed a four door to transport young 'uns around, and the newer Stangs just don't have the same character, despite being kick-ass cars.

what you really need for a good dependable driver is an older toyota pickup, i'm not talking old my any means but one that's maybe 5 or 6 years old. you don't need to get one that is 4x4 or anything just a basic dependable truck, ok maybe splurge a little and get an extended cab. also do not get one of the fullsize trucks, just a small one with a 4 banger and a 5 speed or a v6 and automatic or whatever. this way you'll have good dependable transportation while you're in high school and you'll still have the stang to play with on weekends and holidays but most importantly you'll still have it when you graduate from college and can really afford to get a new stang for a driver and build the 69 up so it can waste the new DD hands down.

well, that's my opinion anyway.

I was in the same position. I had my 1969 302 in high school, then went to college. I had to leave the car exposed to the elements at school(down town neighborhood), no garage at the apartments I rent during my college years. So, I sold the car knowing someone else would keep it garaged. 20 years later, I'm still kick myself. Now I found a project 351 fastback, but I don't find time to work on the car with work and a family. If I look back, I wish I had kept the car.
img22374fp.th.jpg

Attachments

• img22374fp.th.jpg
    img22374fp.th.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 59