Kenne Bell 9# k

03trubluGT

Nov 19, 2002
Mansfield, TX
Kenne Bell 9# kit installed

Good lord!

We started getting the tools out and the car drained of coolant at about 8am yesterday. The serious disassembly started at around 9am.

We broke for lunch at noon, and started back at about 1pm.

By 5pm it looked like it was going to take 2 days.

Some of the instructions are kind vague, but workable.

By 8pm I was losing hope.

at 10:30 we began preflight checklist.

at 10:42 I sat in the car, and began to crank it, just praying that I wouldn't hear/see an explosion.

It fired to life and ran choppy for a few minutes. We could hear an intermittent chatter/metallic noise. Broke out the automotive stethoscope, but couldn't diagnose the sound. Saw specks of antifreeze appearing on the motor.

Checked for leaks, couldn't find any. Wiped everything down and took it for a hoodless drive around the block. SES light came on and stayed. Back to the shop and back on the lift. The good news, is the metallic chatter was gone and it was idling about 750-800. Hooked up a scanner and the IAT was showing -40F

Steve did some continuity testing on the lines and found the problem with a splice. Fixed it and no more SES light Now showing 140F IAT.

Took it for another test run with Steve driving and ran it by some buildings in the industrial district and he showed me how to listen for detonation. After the car was at normal temp (I have to get used to the new position of the temp gauge since it now has a 160* thermostat) he got on it Holy crap, is this really my car It felt like a totally differnt car! First gear is almost useless, second gear is useless unless you feather the gas. From a roll with traction if you roll into the throttle the car just takes off like a scalded dog! Third gear can break the tires loose also.

I'm gonna have to get used to driving this, and save money for the rear upgrade, tires, and most importantly, brakes. After driving my car, Steve took me out for a drive in his 04 Vette. Those things have some BRAKES! I need for my car to stop like his. Steve did admit that my car is now faster than his 'Vette, but he's currently working on a 67 Camaro. He's converting it to 4w disc brakes and plans on a turbo LS1.

I got home about 2:40am this morn. Exhausted and still kind of paranoid that my car is going to break at any moment.

I'm going to compile the pics and info and try to get it to Ken for the article.

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

nice, i hope mine pull like that.
is that on stock clutch?
i have the KB on when i had 58000 miles, the clutch wouldn't grap at all. however, i still feel the power in fifth gear. it pulls very hard.
on your next mod list, i didn't see the clutch. so i guess u already had it.

Kenne Bell + 99 4.6 2v = a damn perfect match. :nice:
even Jim Bell said that the KB for 99+ GT is the best supercharger that he ever made :D

01MustangGT said:
nice, i hope mine pull like that.
is that on stock clutch?
i have the KB on when i had 58000 miles, the clutch wouldn't grap at all. however, i still feel the power in fifth gear. it pulls very hard.
on your next mod list, i didn't see the clutch. so i guess u already had it.

Kenne Bell + 99 4.6 2v = a damn perfect match. :nice:
even Jim Bell said that the KB for 99+ GT is the best supercharger that he ever made :D

IAT = Intake Air Temperature

My car has 45,500 miles.

Stock clutch/pp, etc......

I LOVE IT!

Matt

To really be safe, go get it dynoed so you can see you A/F Ratio. If high, then dynotune it to be on the safe side. I know several '03 Cobra owners changing out their Eatons for KBs. They say it's like a new car after the SC switch.

the plenum king is plenumless, but i'm sure you don't mind :D nice man, glad to hear everything went OK :nice: i'm kinda debating right now on which s/c to get & with all the people going with the KB & having such good luck with it. it's just making my decision easier :D

How much of the coolant has to be drained during the KB install??? I just did my coolant change/flush over the weekend and I'm expecting the KB sc in a couple of weeks......I didn't know it required draining the coolant.

narongc73 said:
How much of the coolant has to be drained during the KB install??? I just did my coolant change/flush over the weekend and I'm expecting the KB sc in a couple of weeks......I didn't know it required draining the coolant.

Just the coolant in the radiator. You don't have to flush the entire system. I believe the only reason you had to drain it was to install the upper radiator hose to the new thermostat housing on the s/c.

I'm gonna get it dyno-d this week sometime.

I'm already saving for the Big Tube/90mm MAF/CAI. Just $533 and I'm there!

I went ahead and drained the block so I wouldn't have to mess with the coolant in the intake. It was easy to drain from the brass fitting on the driver's side of the block.

Matt

Yea, the Plenum King is plenum-less :p

Matt