Kenne bell Vs. Vortech

I am considering a kenne bell supercharger for my 04 GT. I was told Vortech is the way to go. Looking at prices are almost the same but it seems to me that the kenne bell will put out the more power than a vortech. Any suggestions on what would be the better bang for my buck???

• Sponsors (?)

I am considering a kenne bell supercharger for my 04 GT. I was told Vortech is the way to go. Looking at prices are almost the same but it seems to me that the kenne bell will put out the more power than a vortech. Any suggestions on what would be the better bang for my buck???

Both can be made to put out good power. There is not a significant difference in power levels, it really depends on your whole set up. Do some searching in this forum and you will find tons of threads on this topic.

The basics on positive displacement blower (KB) vs. centrifugal are:
1) positive displacement: instantly on boost all during the power band. Usually takes more money to get started (unless you are buying used or something)
2) centrifugal: The boost builds up until later in the rpm range. Usually is cheaper to start / easier to install.

There are people that advocate both sides. Do some research with the search button, take a look at your budget, and pick the best option for you.

On the "fun to drive" scale KB > Vortech... Vortech kits though are less expensive and easier to come by. In fact you can assemble your own vortech kit using a used head unit for less than $3000 which includes a tune. KB's will likely cost at least $5000 for a new one, and if you want go to used keep in mind it's hard to find used KB kits.

If you're going to be spending that kind of money, keep saving up and buy the KB. If you end up getting the vortech kit, you'll just regret not spending the additional cash on the KB kit.

Vortech kits drive like stock until you get up past 3000 - 3500 RPM's when they come alive. KB kits provide a flat torque curve from idle to redline. IMO the flat torque curve of a KB would be much more entertaining.

Positive displacement for the street. If you are wanting to build a supe high HP car for the drag strip then centri or turbo is the best and easiest way but for the street...... cant beat a twin screw blower. Instant power, sick whine and they look bad ass! More boost is an easy pulley swap away if you have a dual tune written or dont mind the car running fat with lower boost.
I love my KB 2.2 :nice:

IMGP1769.jpg

Two completely different types of blowers (positive displacement vs. dynamic compression). I'd suggest researching each one then deciding which would meet your goals.

KB, but im biased, my dream is a KB 2v, but i just love kenne bells because of the sick whine that they put out, and instant torque i hear positive displacement makes it feel like an old school big block with the instant torque, but im also a fan of the high rpm's of centri, and turbos haha idk its up to you!

sorry turbos = ftw

Wrong. Do the math. :nono:

lol this shouldnt even be a question. Kenne bell ftw. Power is instant, dont have to wait for it to build up... roots will always be better than centrifugal.

Larger turbo larger lag. So twin smaller turbos would be better for spool up time but still... lag.

Granted, a Kenne Bell like any other twin screw or roots will use up energy to create compression and turbos don't. But twin screws and roots are instant. Money wise, twin screws and roots cost more. But if you do the math, roots (twin screws) all the way. :nice:

My Kenne Bell can take a 6 lb pulley or up to a 14 lb pulley changed in a matter of minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
From my research, I am looking at the whipple 2.3L as in the FRPP 550HP kit. Looks to be more efficient which is a good thing if it can use less gas just cruising around. But which is better between a vortech or a twin screw? The twin screw makes more power over all. Look at the area under the torque curve. The engine is making nearly full torque at 2000 RPM all the way to red line. The vortech's torque ramps up with RPM similar to an unblown engine only more. But it is less expensive.

It really depends on what you want out of your car. Take it from someone who went from a vortech to a KB. Vortechs are nice for high rpm stuff like road course and auto cross but KB's are just flat out better all around because of the instant tq as long as you can keep the heat down.

It really depends on what you want out of your car. Take it from someone who went from a vortech to a KB. Vortechs are nice for high rpm stuff like road course and auto cross but KB's are just flat out better all around because of the instant tq as long as you can keep the heat down.

Intercoolers are amazing...! :nice:

Wrong. Do the math. :nono:

Larger turbo larger lag. So twin smaller turbos would be better for spool up time but still... lag.

Granted, a Kenne Bell like any other twin screw or roots will use up energy to create compression and turbos don't. But twin screws and roots are instant. Money wise, twin screws and roots cost more. But if you do the math, roots (twin screws) all the way. :nice:

My Kenne Bell can take a 6 lb pulley or up to a 14 lb pulley changed in a matter of minutes.

I did, my brother is making 460rwhp 537rwtq(NASTY TQ) SAE w/ 12lbs of boost on a 4.6l 2v stock engine, where are the the blowers making those numbers? turbo lag? 62mm billet compressor wheel, Im at full boost @ 2900rpm(14lbs) and im running low 11s right now on street tires and cutting 1.7-1.8 60fts, how my blower cars can say that? The fact is the bigger the blower the hard your engine needs to turn it. Whipple superchargers/kb over 3.0L+ in size can take up to 200hp of lost power to spin it above 4500-5000rpm running more than 15lbs of boost, where as a turbo has an adverse affect. The more the engine spins the more exhaust gases come out the more the turbo spools, thus more power. Plus the sound of a tuebo spooling is SICK:drool:So math turbo = FTW...

YouTube - Fast-Spooling Turbo Mustang, 15 psi

I'm with Tank on this one. It's pretty simple, you can go with a supercharger and use power to make power, or you can go turbo and use spent power to make power.

Also, an MSD 2 step is the cure for turbo lag, or if you don't have a 2 step, brake boost it.

Both can be made to put out good power. There is not a significant difference in power levels, it really depends on your whole set up. Do some searching in this forum and you will find tons of threads on this topic.

The basics on positive displacement blower (KB) vs. centrifugal are:
1) positive displacement: instantly on boost all during the power band. Usually takes more money to get started (unless you are buying used or something)
2) centrifugal: The boost builds up until later in the rpm range. Usually is cheaper to start / easier to install.

There are people that advocate both sides. Do some research with the search button, take a look at your budget, and pick the best option for you.

awesome post. this is all you need to read :)

If you're going to be spending that kind of money, keep saving up and buy the KB. If you end up getting the vortech kit, you'll just regret not spending the additional cash on the KB kit.

Oh really? I don't regret for one second going with a centri.....and yes, I have a had vehicles with positive's as well.

Furthermore, when you get to really high horse levels on the street. A positive can get very very hard to get the power to the ground because of all that low down tq.

but to say the guy would just regret it is foolish. It's clear what you prefer but it's all personal opinion....... :shrug: