Key ignition swtich problem

Fuzion

May 24, 2005
Virginia
I turn the key the car starts perfectly fine, but when i release the key, the car shuts off. I am guessing the key switch has gone bad. If i turn the car on and hold the key so that it does not fully release, the car will stay on.

Anybody have a write up on how to replace the key cylinder? Or the part number i need?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Replace the electrical part of the switch first.

There was a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire. That burns up the steering column and sometimes the car interior. Since this is very old information, you may not be able to get the switch replaced for free anymore. The auto parts stores sell the switches for $13-$15.

Copy down you VIN number and call the Ford dealer nearest you. Tell them you want to see if the ignition switch recall for Fords & Mustangs was done on your car. They will ask for the VIN number & check it against the master database. If it isn't in the database, then you can schedule an appointment to have the switch replaced for free. The TSB is #95S28. They will not give the part so that you can install it. The rules of the recall are that they must install the switch to prevent any legal problems.

Saleen0679 was nice enough to dig this up for us awhile back: Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly