Key issue

hossdoc

Nov 20, 2007
Weatherford, TX
I cannot get the key to disenegage from the ignition to remove it. I can start the car and turn the car off, but I cannot turn the ignition switch far enough to remove the key. It's worked fine for months and this is a new issue. this is a 302 c4 Auto car. wiggling the shifter has no effect. Does anyone have any thoughts on the problem and how to solve it?

• Sponsors (?)

I had this same problem once, all I did was spun the piece on the column that is above the plastic trim. I think its metal and has a hole in it and for some reason the key wouldnt come out unless it was in a certain spot. I'm not sure if this makes any sense but I can post a pic if you need it.

Yes, that would cause it. THere is a rod running from the lock cyl mechenism down the column to the actual ign switch. If the rod is on a bind it will not move freely. If it comes out of the hole in the tab on the switch, then your lock cyl will have no resistance to motion-will just turn back and forth freely. Pull the plastic coller off and make sure the rod is in right and moving back and forth with the lock cyl correctly. If the coller is on right, it should "snap" into a small channel underneth. THat's what holds it in the correct position-where the coller seam comes together, should be on the bottom, should have molded plastic on each seam-push the seam together and push into the channel and/or pull out of the channel to remove if it's installed correctly.

Super, worked like a charm.

BarnStang: Sorry, I couldn't completly follow you description. It seems that the colomn has the ring for a column shifter just proximal to the steering wheel. When the entire collar is rotated the key will get stuck and unstuck. The plastic cover has been removed from the column due to ongoing interior work. Is this plastic piece what keeps the metal collar from rotating or are there other issues at play?