Kick panel speakers

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Has anyone ever installed speakers in the standard kick panels (as opposed to the ones specifically made to hold speakers)?

I'm getting ready to install a new stereo and new speakers in Sadie. I had originally bought a set of new standard kick panels thinking it was just a matter of cutting a hole in them to fit some 6" speakers in there. But now that I look at it, I don't think it's that easy. There's an opening in the panel behind the kick panels (for accessing the door hinge bolts) that the back of the speakers fit in, but even with them in there, they still stick out about 1/2" from the kick panel. Is there some easy way to get them to fit w/o having to do some serious modding? Or would I just be better off selling these kick panels and buying some that are made to hold speakers?

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Buy the ones meant for speakers

A deeper speaker will be more powerful, and even if you could find something shallow enough for that opening, you probably wouldn't be happy with it. That's why the kick panels have the bulge - there's just not any room back there. I've got a '70, so YMMV.

t_chelle16 said:
Has anyone ever installed speakers in the standard kick panels (as opposed to the ones specifically made to hold speakers)?

I'm getting ready to install a new stereo and new speakers in Sadie. I had originally bought a set of new standard kick panels thinking it was just a matter of cutting a hole in them to fit some 6" speakers in there. But now that I look at it, I don't think it's that easy. There's an opening in the panel behind the kick panels (for accessing the door hinge bolts) that the back of the speakers fit in, but even with them in there, they still stick out about 1/2" from the kick panel. Is there some easy way to get them to fit w/o having to do some serious modding? Or would I just be better off selling these kick panels and buying some that are made to hold speakers?

-Chelle

I used (2) 3/4" MDF rings that I cut out with a jig saw. Glued and screwed together and covered in black leather. Put my tweeters in cups and mounted them on top of the rings. Screwed the rings to the kick panels from behind. Thats the CHEAP way to do it. Doesnt look too bad either.

No pics, sorry.:shrug:

BTW, I used Orion 5-1/2" w/a swivle tweeter. (I basically made a set of component speakers)

Well, I already have the speakers (picked them up on sale several years ago). They're not super high end speakers, but I'm not into rattling the windows of the houses I drive by. I just wanted a little more sound up front and since I bought them already, I'd like to use them.

I used (2) 3/4" MDF rings that I cut out with a jig saw. Glued and screwed together and covered in black leather. Put my tweeters in cups and mounted them on top of the rings. Screwed the rings to the kick panels from behind. Thats the CHEAP way to do it. Doesnt look too bad either.
I might have to try that. I have 2 sets of old kick panels around here somewhere (one set is in new Sadie and I'm not entirely sure where old Sadie's are, but I don't think I threw them out). Maybe I'll just play around with those and see what I can come up with before I start doing permanant damage to the new kick panels.

-Chelle

Here is what I have. These are the original kick panels with 5&1/4's and 1" domes.

694945_53_full.jpg

t_chelle16 said:
How did you go about modifying the kick panel? Did you build it out (using what?) and cover it in fiberglass or vinyl?

-Chelle

This was a kit that came from a audio store. I had to cut about 3 &1/2" hole in the panel for the 5&1/4 mag to stick through it. It sticks through about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. It's already made with plastic and vinyl over top. So then you can paint it whatever colour you want.

I have a 66 and I bought the kick panel with the speaker cutout. The cutout still doesn't give you that much depth. I got alpine speakers and they bottom out. It bottomed out with about 1/4 of an inch left before speaker met the kick panel. So I did the same thing mentioned above and cut out a circle with the jig saw, painted them black and put the speakers in there. With the speakers being black and the speaker cover you can't really see them too much.

Yeah, I've already pulled out one of the old kick panels in new Sadie. I figure I'll play around with those (and maybe the ones from old Sadie if I can find them), get all the kinks worked out/make templates then mess with my new kick panels.

I may even have some MDF laying around the house already (we've been remodeling).

-Chelle

FWIW, I went to the hardware store today and found something that should work perfectly as a spacer and needs very little modification.

I'm going to be mean, though, and make you wait a few days while I try to get it all installed. Then I'll tell you what I used.
eviloverlord.gif

-Chelle

i bought a set of kick panels that were designed for round speakers as large as 6". the ones i got are not cut out for speakers thus making them less expensive. check out virginia classic mustang, which is where i got mine.

Quick question for those of you who just used regular kick panels and spacers. How did you mount everything? Did you just screw them into the kick panel and let that support all the weight? Or did you somehow screw it into the metal panel behind the kick panel?

If you just let the kick panel support everything, how's it holding up? If you screwed into the the metal panel, how did you do it?

you people do know you can buy ABS spacers for like 10 bucks and save all the time and hassle
The things I bought cost about $3 each. I just have to drill holes in them for the screws and paint them black.

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
Quick question for those of you who just used regular kick panels and spacers. How did you mount everything? Did you just screw them into the kick panel and let that support all the weight? Or did you somehow screw it into the metal panel behind the kick panel?

If you just let the kick panel support everything, how's it holding up? If you screwed into the the metal panel, how did you do it?

The things I bought cost about $3 each. I just have to drill holes in them for the screws and paint them black.

-Chelle

Now I am curious as to what you bought.... ? What's it called ?

Okay, I'll tell.

They're little ceiling medallions - normally used for making ceiling fan and hanging light bases look fancy.

kickpanelspeaker01.jpg

The edge of the speaker grille fits above the middle rounded spot.
kickpanelspeaker02.jpg

It will bring the speaker forward 5/8".
kickpanelspeaker03.jpg

And they're plastic so I don't have to do any shaping or smoothing.

(Oh, and my mom gets credit for the idea)

-Chelle

Here's another idea, that I'm going with. Buy two of those roof vent seals used to seal any sanitary vents that poke through your house roof. The are molded plastic, with a rubber seal (that you remove), and come with different size holes that can be matched to the speaker opening. I 'll see if I can find a pic.