Kick panel speakers

• Sponsors (?)

Found a pic....

Attachments

• plastic flashing.jpg
    plastic flashing.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 257
Yes, you definitely need to wedge them for an angle up and toward you because they are only providing some mids and upper range sounds. Those sounds are directional unlike deep bass where it doesn't matter. Think about it; when you hear a loud stereo beside you in traffic, what do you hear? Boom, boom, deep bass. You don't hear much of the upper range of sound because it is directional and needs an uninterrupted path to be heard. The ceiling medallions are a bad idea unless they are angled somehow. Sorry, Chelle, I love you anyway.

milner351 said:
Ideally you'd use those over some kind of wedge to angle the speaker up and out toward the center of the car... .otherwise, you're wasting that sound on your ankles...
Half the people hear just want sound,not a full on SQ type system,just getting to fit is enough for most people.

This is what shoud be done,and then 'glassed over.
13%20--%20check%20clearance.jpg

but its too much work for most people.

I don't want to be kicking my speakers all the time because they're sticking our really far either though. I'm going to go ahead and try them with the medallions and if they do sound like crap (really, can they sound worse than having nothing?), I can always try something else.

-Chelle

They won't sound like crap because you won't hear them unless you turn your fader to the frt. which loses all of your bass that you should be getting from the trunk but you have boxes anyway and no this is not a run-on sentence I don't care what the English majors say and who are they anyway to criticize us just because........:D

iskwezm said:
Half the people hear just want sound,not a full on SQ type system,just getting to fit is enough for most people.

This is what shoud be done,and then 'glassed over.
13%20--%20check%20clearance.jpg

but its too much work for most people.

this is what I did as well, but I just made the whole kick panel. little bulky but it looks good.

Last year i wanted to have some speaks in my 67 kicks so I ordered the new panels that had the raised bosses with some "upgraded" speakers for about $150 for everything. Everything looked great and very stock as the speakers had good looking black grills but I wasn't happy with quality of speakers. Primarily because the rest of my system was top notch quality due to my girlfriend always needing to buy the best for her cars so I get her tablescraps like Phoenix gold amp and MB Quart, ect!
Anyway, I found the speakers I wanted so I returned the kick panel package back. Although you can buy kick panels with bosses by themselves, you should buy the ones that have the deepest boss. In my research and after returning another mfg. panels I finally found one that was approx. 1/4" deeper than the rest and as you already know, you need everything you can get back there. The company I picked them up from was American Pony in Washington state, $55 for the pair.

Now for the speakers, they still have to be slim sized 6-6.5" dia. speakers to fit. I have found the following speakers have slim enough depth to work: Pioneer TS-G1640R (the ones I returned but damn they fit great with no spacer required) and Focal 160V slim (check the dimensions of those speakers and you'll know what fits). I have the Focal but I'll still need to use a 1/4" spacer, should still look good. There are probably more brands that have some slim models. It was also be a good idea to re-use the insulation (or put new) that goes behind those panels as it will help the sound and also make a little more room.

My recommendation is to get the raised panels (you might have to cutout the circle and drill holes but no biggie) and put in your speakers you already have (via the screws and little screwplates that they came with) and see how they sound to you. If you want different ones, get new speakers (maybe your birthday is coming up?) and you already have compact and great looking panels to attached them to.