kid in a "turbo" prelude

VulcanGT

Jul 13, 2005
Lexington, KY
theres a kid at my school that claims to have Twin turbos on his prelude. ive heard it go by and it doesnt sound like a turbo car at all. no BOV noise and the exhaust is super poppy. but, lets just say it IS twin turbo, how bad would he beat me from a dig?
ps ive never actually spoke to the kid before but he knows me and my car. im guessing he wants to run em, thats why im asking.

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno about you, but even by the sounds of your post you would agree. You can HEAR a turbo car... from afar... quite literally. So if you honestly can't hear anything from 10 miles out, then i'm guessing it's safe to say he isn't runnin them.
I say you eat him for lunch.
your gears will help you out of the dig.

thats exactly what i thought. i dont even hear anything to back up his statement. this car just sounds like your average poopy prelude. the only reason u CAN hear it is because he revs it up to like 6 grand EVERY TIME he takes off, even if hes sitting in traffic. ill just have to lay the smackdown on him if he trys anything :D

VulcanGT said:
thats exactly what i thought. i dont even hear anything to back up his statement. this car just sounds like your average poopy prelude. the only reason u CAN hear it is because he revs it up to like 6 grand EVERY TIME he takes off, even if hes sitting in traffic. ill just have to lay the smackdown on him if he trys anything :D
If he revs to 6 grand and you don't hear a turbo spooling or the BOV, I'm gonna have to call :bs: on him.

Disagree with lots of whats posted here. The car I use to illustrate my disagreement with is my good friend's 05 STI:

While stock and producing 300hp turbocharged horsepower, you couldn't hear the turbo AT ALL. Totally quiet, no blow off sound, nothing. You couldn't hear the turbo at all until he installed a cold air intake.

Now modified, his exhaust is LOUD, even with his factory turbo.

Ask to see what's under the hood of the Prelude. It's difficult to turbocharge a Honda, though it's done often, because you don't want to tap the oil system for fear of ****ing up VTEC engagement.

As others said, he is not running TWO turbochargers on his Honda I4.

He may be running a small turbo with a low amount of boost. You can't tell for sure until you pop the hood.

I raced a turbo civic a couple weeks ago, and the exhuast was so loud and poppy it made my ears ring for like an hour. You couldn't hear any BOV or turbo over the exhuast, but you could hear it spool like a semi truck at part throttle. I say look under the hood and if there is nothing there, invite him and all is friends to the track for some ownage.

Zero Signal said:
I raced a turbo civic a couple weeks ago, and the exhuast was so loud and poppy it made my ears ring for like an hour. You couldn't hear any BOV or turbo over the exhuast, but you could hear it spool like a semi truck at part throttle. I say look under the hood and if there is nothing there, invite him and all is friends to the track for some ownage.
Zero, how badly did you beat him?

Vulcan, I would (or get a friend to) tell him some story about a friend or cousin who has a Prelude and wants to go turbo and ask to see his setup so I could tell the other guy about it.

If he's all talk, he won't open his hood. If he opens his hood, I'd take pics of the turbo(s) with my phone.

I raced a turbo Honda once...first time was from a roll, and he actually pulled on me (think I should have dropped to 2nd instead of 3rd), but once I got up some steam in third he stopped pulling away and we held even through 4th (120mph). Got turned around and actually caught a light, so I raced him from a stand still, and put 2.5 cars on him from the start. Could have put 4 cars on him, but I actually started directly behind him (same lane), went around him, and had a little more than a car length before I short shifted 3rd. If we were door to door from a standing start, he would have given up very early. Turbos help those little things a lot. Oh and by the way, with windows up, stereo on, and exhaust ripping I could clearly hear his BOV and turbo weezing away....

Swarzkopf said:
While stock and producing 300hp turbocharged horsepower, you couldn't hear the turbo AT ALL. Totally quiet, no blow off sound, nothing. You couldn't hear the turbo at all until he installed a cold air intake.
+1 (or really, 0.9 :)). Until I did my snorkelectomy, you could only hear the BPV on my STI at lower speeds, higher gears, with windows up and no radio on. Just a whisper. After the snorkelectomy, however, it's quite a bit more noticable.

I would agree in general, however, with the comment that you can hear a turbo car easily ... in most cases ... as long as you're talking about an aftermarket setup. The factory puts a fair amount of engineering into silencing the turbo, some guy in a Prelude on the other hand will probably try to make it as loud as possible.

I also suppose he *could* do a twin turbo, but it would be a freakish design and even with small turbos it would have a fair amount of lag with only two cylinders each to push 'em.

Dave