kill switch

BLOWNo2

Oct 6, 2005
Searcy AR
im looking to do a kill switch install, i guess thats what its called. the switch you gotta flip before the car will start. anyone done this before or seen it done on the mustang? any one know how to do it or have any creative ideas? thanks for your help

• Sponsors (?)

never really heard of something like that on a driver car, but I have on the dragsters. I would do somthing similar to that though, wire a switch to cut off your fuel pump, so the car will still turn over, but it wont have fuel to burn.

I simply wired a hidden push-button switch in series with the existing clutch switch (the one that prevents the starter from operating unless the clutch pedal is depressed). The wires are not hard to find and it is an easy install.

yes, a friend of mine did it on his jeep wrangler because, well, when he drove it it had no roof, or doors for that matter.

it was positioned to the left of the steering column. it had a different key thing in it, worked pretty good as i remember. even if you had the normal key, it wouldnt work.

i will ask him where he got it, and what it exactly did, although i assume its just another connection being blocked or made to the ignition wiring.

I like the idea.

I once did that on an old '71 Demon I had. I pliced in a toggle switch between the ignition line and hid it in the cigarette lighter cylinder with a dud lighter cap on it. I'd just take my key and flip it up to continue the circuit.

If someone knows the best way to rig something like this on the stang, please share!

i like the idea about running it off of the switch for the clutch. more info please. i was thinking you just wired it inline to the starter, so the car wouldnt even crank. i just like the extra security. keep the info/ideas coming guys!

You can view/download pics of my '03 installation at:

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/mustang_kill_switch.pdf

Hope they are helpful. The 2 wires to the kill switch are wrapped with black electrical tape and tucked behind the carpet and factory harnesses, so cannot be seen easily in the pics.

The side view of the switch is only poissible with a small camera; you can't actually get your head into that viewing location.

If I had a manual transmission, I would mount the kill switch on the driver's seat frame near the lumbar control switch.