Killercanary's new buildup thread...

• Sponsors (?)

One thing i don't get? For the same price you could have gotten a dart sportsman 351. Free Cubes!!!

But then again i don't know what your final plans are. I guess it would be easier to keep your intake if you wanted.

Thanks for the replies guys.

To answer a few questions...

I plan to keep the project under wraps until it's near completion. Its a two part build, on part will be done shortly, the other will take another year or so.

Rob (GMKILLR)- That's what I was worried about, splitting it at around 350rwhp. I was thinking of girdling it like Mootang said just to be on the safe side in case I ever turn the wick up. :rlaugh:

Joe- I was going to go with the big bore block, but there is a reason that I will divulge later as to why I didn't. Mine is the standard 4.000 block. The thought of a 363CI crossed my mind more times than you'll ever know!

Adam- as I just mentioned to Joe, there is a reason why I went this route, but I don't want to discuss why just yet. I like your combo. :D As for the baby seat, the simpson seat is already here waiting to go into the car thanks to Onebad95!

Will- that looks good! What pan are you using? I hear the canton's have a clearance issue with the rear most main cap and many recommend the milidon. What size of turbo is that in your pic and what did it replace? What internals do you have and what are your planned power numbers?

Illwood- Actually I hope to have the cash to do a 6pt sometime this summer so I can race it soon after breaking the shortblock in. Until I put the bar in I won't be allowed to race at any of the fast tracks around here.

Troy- thanks for helping me get the block out of the back of my escape, I may need a hand getting it back in here soon so that I can take it to the engine builder.

Guero- Kevin sells the blocks for around $1899, but he tries to help out as much as he can when buying a "package" from him and the nice thing is that he sells EVERYTHING from the block/crank/rods to heads, flywheels, etc. so he's a one stop shop. He has been EXTREMELY helpful to me in getting this project underway and I can't recommend him enough.

Moneypit- there are several reasons why I went with the 8.2 deck. The main is that I can easily make more power than I ever intend to with this foundation. Also, my other parts I have for the car would be way too small for anything bigger than the cubes I can get from an 8.2" deck and I can't afford to build another combo from the ground up. I'll also be saving a good bit of weight as well, and that is definitely a factor for me concidering I'm adding roughly 80lbs to the car with the block alone, I'd be afraid to see how much more the 351 sportsman would weigh.

Jesse- I'm sure you'll be done before me! I am hoping to have the shortblock done or nearly done by the time the baby is born.

Speaking of the baby, I have to thank my wife for the direction in which this buildup is heading. I was going to just re-ring my old shortblock, repair the heads, and put it back together but she told me that if I ever wanted to do anything more than that with the car that i should do it now before the baby is born. I don't know if she regrets that yet or not, but I don't think she meant for me to go as far with this newest project as I am planning either!

Hopefully more parts will arrive in the next few days, when they do pics will follow.

Paul, Just FYI, Jessica and I took Bobby out for a ride in the Cobra the other day and the baby seat didnt fit to well in the back of the Mustang, Jessica had the passenger seat all the way up against the dash & she was totally uncomfortable, and she's only 5'0 tall & 100lbs. So if your ever looking forward to taking baby girl for a ride in your car you might want to think again.:shrug:
Btw, Did you guys pick out a name yet? You never told me if so.

Killercanary said:
Will- that looks good! What pan are you using? I hear the canton's have a clearance issue with the rear most main cap and many recommend the milidon. What size of turbo is that in your pic and what did it replace? What internals do you have and what are your planned power numbers?

Its a Dart 8.2 based 331 w/ 9:1 compression. All forged internals (Scat 4340 Crank and H-beam Rods, Probe Dished Pistons), Clevite 77 bearings, Total seal classic race fittings, SFI Balancer, SFI Flex plate @ 28 ounces, Cometic Head gaskets, 7qrt Canton rear sump Drag pan, AFR 185's (ported), Trick Flow R upper and lower (ported), Custom grind Turbo cam.

Didn't have no clarence issues with this oil pan and rear main seal what so ever.

Short block was machined and built by Bliss Performance who has been building ford blocks for 40 years. Alot of his blocks are in the FFW 10.5 cars from what im told.

I was running a Turbo Technology Street Kit with a T60-1 HiFi, with a best of 11.66 @ 121 mph and 1.9 60ft. on the old stock engine 302 setup.

Turbo Technology is using my car as the donar Vehicle to build a custom SN94-95 Race Kit that will be powered by a T76 :D The Turbo Kit is paid for, just need to get this engine and tranny in and tow it to Turbo Technology Inc. ASAP. The only race kit they sale now is for 93 and earlier.

As far as Power output, Im not sure. Me and the wife decided I will run it on 50% Pump and 50% C16 mix, so we will see. A safe guess would be around 700+rwhp:shrug:

Will

stprorolla49- I'm pumped too!!!

Charlie- that sounds like a cool idea. It'd be neat to see what other people think the direction of the car is. Only problem is that there are a few that already know, including yourself! LOL!

Rob- That sucks about the car seat. In all honesty I doubt she'll be in it much. I don't want her around all the fumes and such until she is a little older, but it'd be nice to know I could take her to a car show or something in the car. Knowing my back seat is smaller than a coupes anyways makes me think I'll have some real issues. :(

Mootang- LOL! I asked Will about his because he just got done building his setup and I wanted to know what internals he plans to run. As for the turbo, I'm always interested in reading up on them and don't forget I still have a '90GT that I bought back in '03 with the intention of turning it into my turbo drag car. I thought it would have been back on the road last year but hurting my '95 killed that idea. I should have a number of parts left over from this buildup that will make it onto the '90 and make for an even better turbo car once I get around to it in 10yrs or so! LOL!

Will- thanks for the reply. As soon as my internals show up I'll post up pics here. I think you'll be surprised by the choices I made! I'm also glad to hear that the canton didn't have any clearance issues. I know it was a problem for a while and there was a lengthy thread on it on hardcore50.com. That combo sounds like a BEAST, especially concidering how fast you went with the 302 setup! Keep us updated with how that build goes!!! 700rwhp!?!? :jaw: I can't wait to see it!!! :nice:

Paul,

Now that my son is over the 1 year mark we bought the Graco evolutions high back booster and that works pretty well... Took the family out Saturday and my fife only had to move the seat forward a couple inches so my son would have leg room (he is 16 months). So a car seat is possible in the back of the vert once forward facing...