Killercanary's new buildup thread...

Paul, What brand pump & pickup is that?
I see you decided to go w/ the aluminum flywheel, I think you'll be fine w/ that w/ the power level you'll see. I bet you have this thing about halfway installed already, huh? Good luck on the rest of the buildup, and let me know if you want a hand this weekend as im on my long weekend, im off sat. threw wed. so let me know if you want a hand one of those 5 days, cause my car is done now.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Killercanary said:
UPDATE: July 5th 2006

I picked up my assembled shortblock yesterday from Rick at http://www.rnhperformance.net
There are engine assemblers and then there are engine builders... Rick is no doubt an engine builder. He took the time to explain everything he did and why he did it to me. If there was anything that wasn't perfect he took the extra time to ensure that it was before I took delivery of it.

This a dart sportsman block with an internally balanced 4340 forged scat crank, rods, and forged SRP pistons. I'm running almost all of my old stuff such as my FTI cam, edelbrock intake, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 24lb injectors, shorty headers, bassani offroad X pipe, etc. The only change will be a set of AFR185 heads in place of my old 165's. That will be the combo... at least for this year. :D I hope to have the car up and running in a few weeks. I have to put the heads on and determine what length of pushrods I need, and then throw it back in the car. Its been apart so long that I'm sure the hardest part of the rebuild will be finding all of my old nuts and bolts for everything.

Here are some pics of the great work he did:

73691.jpg

73692.jpg

73693.jpg

Here's a pic of my Internally balanced crank with the mallory slugs:

73694.jpg

ARP 2000 rods bolts

73696.jpg

73698.jpg

The rest of the parts needed to finish off the shortblock: Fidanza aluminum flywheel, pioneer "0" balance balancer, canton oil pan, felpro gasket set, ARP balancer bolt, ARP oil pan bolts, and a new timing cover.
73700.jpg

Nice. I am glad you stayed NA. By the way what kind of car is that next to your motor?

Thanks everyone! As soon as I get my heads on the shortblock the ball should really start to move!

Rob- its a melling adjustable oil pump and canton pickup that goes along with my canton oil pan. I didn't have the pan for pictures oterwise I'd have shown it too. The decision to go with the aluminum flywheel was a hard one. I've stated on here more times than I can count that I wouldn't run one in a heavy car, but as you said I'm hoping in the end the power will be great enough to offset it. I appreciate the offer of help, if I was going to be home this weekend I'd take you up on it, but I'll be at the FFW event in Norwalk. I can't do much until I get the head gaskets as I have to put the heads on the car and determine what pushrod length I need to get the valvetrain right.

Methodical- The decision to stay NA was an easy one as I could not have afforded the shortblock AND fuel system, stand alone, power adder, etc. Maybe someday I'll really step it up, but its going to be NA for a while.
As was already mentioned that car in the background is my wife's 2000 MR2 (Midship Run-about) spyder. Its a BLAST to drive. I never thought I'd say 138hp was a blast, but in this sub 2400lb car it is!

39690.jpg

blksn955.o- As for cost, I'm not sure yet (which scares me!) as I haven't recieved all my bills yet, but below are all items that will be included in the end cost of the shortblock once I have it.
-4340 crank
-4340 rods
-forged pistons
-rings
-bearings
-block kit
-oil pan and pickup
-oil pump
-oil pump drive shaft
-oil pan gasket
-oil pan bolts
-head studs
-balancer
-balancer bolt
-flywheel
-internal balancing
-engine assembly

Very cool. It makes you feel good when you KNOW your builder did a good job, nothing like that extra sense of security. The combo looks great, I think we're all as excited as you are. Keep us updated with your progress Paul!

Actually it is a Melling 10688 HP Series pump 25%+ volume. Fully adjustable, stronger case although they still stamp the housing M68.

My Dart shortblocks start around $4400 depending on the options, e-mail me for any info, specifics or quotes. I can supply any part from A-Z and anything from a shortblock to a complete crate engine ready to drop in, installation and dyno tuning are also available.

Paul was lucky I consider him a good friend and I was heading out the door for vacation..lol The bill is on the way, and the pan with fitting and the gaskets should be shipping on Monday I even added a special item to the box I just had made ;) Troy it was nice meeting you as well, remember that offer anytime after I get back you are more then welcome to come down and see the DART and Man-O-War stuff to compare just give me a shout.

Well I am supposed to be making dinner reservations for my anniversary (1st wedding anniversary is today 7/9) while my wife is taking a nap she'll have a fit if I'm talking cars while on vacation. I don't even think she know's I brought the lap top, but I was ab;le to find a nice wireless signal right now.

The beach is hot and the margaritas are cold :cheers: :D

See Ya Guys....

Rick 91GT said:
Well I am supposed to be making dinner reservations for my anniversary (1st wedding anniversary is today 7/9) while my wife is taking a nap she'll have a fit if I'm talking cars while on vacation. I don't even think she know's I brought the lap top, but I was ab;le to find a nice wireless signal right now.

The beach is hot and the margaritas are cold :cheers: :D

See Ya Guys....

Congrats Rick:nice:

And its lookin good paul! :drool: