Kitty #5

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
We just knew we wouldn't be able to settle with only having 4 cats for very long. We'd been checking out several shelters looking for the perfect little kitty for a couple months now, but none of them were just right.

My brother was visiting this past week and on Thrusday we decided to go up to Kansas City to eat. While there we figured we'd stop by Wayside Waifs (a very huge, SUPER nice shelter) to see what they had. We all fell in love with a little orange kitty named Tiff. After a quick name change, we came home with little Rusty.

He's about 4 1/2 months old and I'm guessing at least part maine coon (his paws are absolutely HUGE!).

We had him quarantined for a while (didn't want to take any chances after all that mess with FeLV that we went through with Scout & Ten) but today we got the all clear from our vet.

Here's a few pics:
rusty01.jpg

rusty02.jpg

Meeting Ghost (who's actually very careful around Rusty despite normally being a big klutz):
group29.jpg

We told Ghost to hold onto the leash and not let Rusty run off. He took his job very seriously:
ghostrusty01.jpg

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Nice cat.... he reminds me of a kitten that appeared on our front doorstep when I was a kid. He wasn't entirely marked in tiger-stripes; had white on his chest and front paws, in the manner of the original "Morris" from the "Nine Lives" cat food commercials. Mom named him "Rusty Moe" because just plain "Morris" didn't really match the playful personality he displayed as long as he had lived.

We are actually down one cat these days, as Patches (Cowgirl Tink's 16-year old black and white version of Emily-except she was lovable more often than she was wild) succumbed to Acute Kidney Failure just before July 4th weekend. Never mentioned it online, 'cause we wanted to wait 'til Tink heard it in person. I miss that old cat; but I think we'll just stick to the two we now have.

StangDreamin' said:
Nice cat.... he reminds me of a kitten that appeared on our front doorstep when I was a kid. He wasn't entirely marked in tiger-stripes; had white on his chest and front paws, in the manner of the original "Morris" from the "Nine Lives" cat food commercials. Mom named him "Rusty Moe" because just plain "Morris" didn't really match the playful personality he displayed as long as he had lived.
Rusty's full name is actually Rusty Shackelford (kudos if you get the refference). He has a lot of the same proud personality that Chester (our 20 year old that we lost last year) had and a touch of Tennessee's crazy playfulness.

We are actually down one cat these days, as Patches (Cowgirl Tink's 16-year old black and white version of Emily-except she was lovable more often than she was wild) succumbed to Acute Kidney Failure just before July 4th weekend.
I'm very sorry. It's hard loosing a cat you've had for a long time, but 16 years is a good, long life.

Cute as all heck, keep posting pics.
Will do.

-Chelle

StangDreamin' said:
Oh man, I know that name......no matter how long I go :bang: trying to remember the reference, I just can't dredge it up! :doh: So, I'll just have to go :shrug:
CRS Strikes Again!:lol:

Don't feel too bad, the name sounds familiar to me too, just can't remember why!:shrug:

Stangnet Alzheimer's Group line up over here (behind StD and myself)----->

"aaaAAAAaaahhhh! Don't take my picture! Yew take my picture and the next thing yew know, CIA agents will send reprints to the U.N. death squads! There's a price on my head in three Eastern European countries!"

I forgot about Dale "Dead Bug" Gribble. But he lifted the "Rusty Shakelford" moniker from some other source. If only I could remember the TV d*** show..... :bang:

We just put our Persian down: kidney and liver failure. She was very old but we gave her a good life by rescuing her from abusive owners. She had lost 5 lbs. in one week so there was no hope for medication to save her and she suffered greatly. I respect you greatly for rescuing another "kitty"; I couldn't do it as I get more attached to pets than people. We still have Xena, the warrior princess ( a fat mutt of a cat, 8 yrs. old and 11 lbs. of love).

mustangdave said:
She had lost 5 lbs. in one week

We lost Chester (20 years old) to kidney failure about 1 1/2 years ago. He was always a slender cat (part siamese), but when he went into end stage renal failure, he really went quick. But that was partly due to a crappy vet giving him the wrong meds (sped things up). He went from pretty much normal to dead in a week.

Then about a month later we lost Lizzy (17 years old) to cancer. She was really close to Chester and after he died, she just gave up fighting it. Tumors apeared on 2 of her toes. We had those amputated and 2 days after she got the stitches out, a tumor apeared on her face. I had just noticed a slight swelling on a Saturday night and by Monday morning her whole face was so swollen she couldn't hardly breath so we took her to be put down.

We've had a really bad year for cats, but hopefully, now that all our cats are young & luekemia free, things will be better.

And so the others don't feel left out, here's Toonces, Emily, & Romeo:
group32.jpg

-Chelle

I think they like eachother . . .

group33.jpg

I swear he's grown a ton just in the week that we've had him and he's going to be absolutely HUGE. He's only about 5 months old and his paws are already nearly as big as Romeo's.

-Chelle