Knock/Pop sound

Pizzaman

Aug 7, 2003
Hi Guys,

I have been having a mysterious popping sound coming from the rear (I think it may have also come from the front at times). It almost always makes this sound when first taking off. The last few days though i have heard it at shift times. This has progressively gotten more frequent since owning the car. I had the U joints checked and was told they are fine. Some ideas thrown around locally are possibly the shocks, wheel bearings?

Have any of you experienced this or something similar?

01 GT automatic

• Sponsors (?)

this may or may not be it, but mine made the same noise when I would take off from a dead stop. After replacing every GD suspension component there is...it ended up being a bad rear caliper that was sticking. May not be it, but might help you think outside the box, I found it was bad just the other day when changing brakes. After I replaced it, poof...noise gone.

Quote " this may or may not be it, but mine made the same noise when I would take off from a dead stop. After replacing every GD suspension component there is...it ended up being a bad rear caliper that was sticking. May not be it, but might help you think outside the box, I found it was bad just the other day when changing brakes. After I replaced it, poof...noise gone. "

Didnt think about that, but that would make some sense being the brakes being just let out of. Thanks guys, will give all of your items a look over and hopefully something will poke out.

The old gt did something similar.Would have a pop/knock sound on take offs and decels for a short time then I would have a weird sound at start up,then a day or 2 after that I got a vibrating feel in the floor,It turned out to be the motor mounts.I was getting a vibrating feel cause it was a manual,dont know if a auto would do it.Just an idea to check.

I think i can rule out motor mounts as the sound is coming from the back. The sound would be better described as someone kicking harshly the under carriage.

I only suggested it cause you said that you think it may come from the front at times,so I really wasnt sure if you were for sure of it being from the rear or if the front.I also know that from inside the car wierd sounds arent always as they seem,what at times may sound as if its from the front is really coming from the rear and vise versa.Im not arguing your probs just know how things can happen.

What about the tranny mount then?On an auto it wound knock on take offs and gear changes.

It could possibly be worn out upper or lower control arm bushings.

x3 Also could be a loose bolt.

I also know that from inside the car wierd sounds arent always as they seem,what at times may sound as if its from the front is really coming from the rear and vise versa.

x1 A buzzing sound that I could have swore came from the rear actually was coming from the E-brake handle.

I only suggested it cause you said that you think it may come from the front at times,so I really wasnt sure if you were for sure of it being from the rear or if the front.I also know that from inside the car wierd sounds arent always as they seem,what at times may sound as if its from the front is really coming from the rear and vise versa.Im not arguing your probs just know how things can happen.

What about the tranny mount then?On an auto it wound knock on take offs and gear changes.

I know, and i wasnt arguing or trying to make an argument, I shouldve worded that more correctly. The sound happened a few more times today, twice it happened after i was moving 10-15mph and then 'pop'. That is freaking loud! I know there is some kind of Steeda suspension on this thing, need to get to work this weekend and figure it out.