Knock Sensor Location?

95 GT

Oct 29, 2004
Howdy Ya'll. My pony is pinging like crazy since I replaced the intake manifold (blown gasket). Runs great, 91 octane. Buddy said to make sure I reconnected the Knock sensor wiring. But I don't know where it is. Please help if you can. Thanks! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

There is no Knock sensor.

That's cause there is no Knock sensor on a 5.0 Mustang. Gonna have to back off the timing to stop the pinging. There are other things that can cause pinging like running lean and faulty sensors. But, the fastest way to get back on the road is to back off the timing.

The socket for the knock sensor is on the back of the block, just behind the lower intake. But as mentioned, our cars don't use it. Seems like it was dropped because roller cams faked it out and gave false positives. I believe most flavors of the 4.6L have two knock sensors (for triangulating which cylinder is pinging), with the 03 Cobra as a notable exception.

Rootus said:
I believe most flavors of the 4.6L have two knock sensors (for triangulating which cylinder is pinging), with the 03 Cobra as a notable exception.

How do you figure? The 03 most certainly DOES have knock sensors. Ford has one of the biggest CYA mentalities in the biz. They'll do whatever they can to protect the motor (while it's under warranty of course), especially while boosted.

baglock1 said:
How do you figure? The 03 most certainly DOES have knock sensors. Ford has one of the biggest CYA mentalities in the biz. They'll do whatever they can to protect the motor (while it's under warranty of course), especially while boosted.

I think he meant to say with the 03 cobra as the "notable example", not exception.

Do the 94-04 4.6L have knock sensors????? I didn't know that???
Scott

baglock1 said:
You would think that with the boost, it would be the most important motor for them to have working knock sensors on. But it's true, the 03/04 Cobra does not have functioning knock sensors. My guess is noise from the blower pushes it over the edge, and the sensors get too many false positives. Ford made the tune incredibly conservative, and they use other sensors (IAT for sure, maybe an octane sensor :shrug: ) to keep things safe.

Dave

Ya know, I was so sure about that, I went and looked it up because I just recently read an article about the knock sensors on the snake. After reading it a second time, I see my mistake. The article was a bit ambiguous, but sure enough, no sensor on the 03. I apologize for the misinformation. :nonono: