Knocking at startup

ColdAudio

Jan 9, 2006
Hey I just threw this motor together a few weeks ago and it has just recently begun knocking for a second when it first starts up but it quickly goes away just like my last motor before it got some real bad rod knock. My guess is its not building oil pressure right away? Should I be running a thinner oil? 10w40 with some lucas right now. What else could it be? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Anybody? TTT!!

Also, my drain plug is leaking a decent amount and making my damn driveway a mess! I put a new gasket on and some teflon tape on the threads, anything else I can do to at least slow down the leaking?

You can go to the parts store and buy an oversized oil plug, they have several sizes like +1 +2 +3 You usually use them when you strip ur threads out, but it sounds like yours are headed that way. Also as far as the knocking, Try a motorcraft oil filter, the cheapies seem to leak down, and with a worn engine you will get the pre-oil pressure knock. But no worries my 86' vert engine with 150,000+ miles knocks everyday on startup, just dont run it hard.

A loose piston to wall clearance would make a sound until warmed up (expansion), so I doubt it. If it only happens when it first starts up for a brief second, try a different oil filter first. The cheap ones and frams are famous for ****ty anti-drainback valves.

it definitely knocks at startup and has a slight knocking while revving up but its not as loud, using motorcraft filter already, guess ill just have to ride it out, im looking for a 4cyl DD but they seem to be hard to get a hold of when you want one! :)