Engine Knocking From Timing Cover

stanggt88

Oct 16, 2015
So I have a 02 mustang gt. I've been battling a knocking/tapping noise for awhile. Loudest at idle, quiets when accelerating, goes with rpms, gotten louder over time. I replaced exhaust manifold gaskets thinking it wad a leak, checked spark plugs and torque thinking maybe getting ready to blow out, checked valve train components for loose or broken parts, nothing. So after pulling the valve cover and checking components, I decided to start the car and see if I could see/hear anything with valve cover off. Upon starting, a loud crazy knocking came from where the timing chain and pulleys are behind timing cover. I could also see a couple of things flapping around in there along side the timing chain (possible guides for the chain??) Any one have any idea what could be making that noise down there?? Tensioner possibly?? Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

My department is pushrod engines but I'm somewhat familiar with the 4.6 there's a possibility it's the chain and tensioners and if I remember right those heads have oil restrictors that plug up occasionally and starve the valvetrain for oil which causes a tic or tap in the top end but I would look and see how much slop is in the chain and how worn the guide's are,there's a possibility the chain's smacking on the cover,I'm not sure if that's an interference engine but either way breaking a chain can cause a considerable amount of damage so it might be good to pull the cover and inspect it sometime soon

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Thank u much for the detailed and professional response. Imgoing to pull cover today. I felt chain when I had valve covers off and there was s small amount of play. I will keep you posted.

Reactions: 1 user