Knowledgeable tranny guys take a look t-5!

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
If any one know whether or not the mainshaft in the 87-95 gt t-5's is the same as the mainshaft in the 94-95 cobra trannys i would appreciate it. i have a 95 cobra tranny and was told that i could use my parts tranny's mainshaft, which is out of a 93 lx v-8, i have looked at them haven't counted the teeth or anything yet but they look pretty well identical, except for the one i have in my tranny (its bent) has a tapered pocket bearing on the mainshaft for the imput shaft, instead of the usual 15 or so needle bearings and spacer. I am thinking i can just buy a bearing the same as the one on the cobra mainshaft and put it on the non cobra one. Sorry for the long post but i am in a kinda dilemma with these parts etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

jason

• Sponsors (?)

Jason, I'm 90% sure they are the same and can be swapped, but I'd call up Bob Hanlon and ask for sure, then if you need any bearings he can supply you with what you need. You'll more than likely speak with his wife Linda, but she is pretty knowledgable too.

If I remember correctly, the Cobra uses a different bearing between the input shaft and mainshaft, and I believe it requires modifying one or both shafts to convert a regular T-5 to that setup. As Killercanary said, call Bob Hanlon -- he & his wife are quite knowledgable about T-5's.

Dave

WELL i have the cobra setup now so all it seems that i will have to do is to press the new cobra pocket bearing on the mainshaft.

i will call tomm. was planning on it tomm. but got really busy.

its a funny looking design hard to believe that it is so much better than the needle bearing setup, i could take pictures if anyone would like to see them.

thanks again killer, and you too hairy

jason

here are some pics

You should be able to see the bearing race on the inside of the imput shaft in this picture
000_0128.jpg

and here are some pics of the bearing on the mainshaft
000_0127.jpg

000_0126.jpg

000_0125.jpg

these pics aren't so great but the smallest i can post

jason

I have to rebuild my tranny next week , but I don't know whats wrong, meybe I have same problem like you with input shaft, because my Stang clunk a few times when I relese gas pedal in all gears