Kuhmo, Cooper, BFG, Good year??? Need new tires

joshheat25

Nov 8, 2004
Delaware
I need new tires for the rear. I have 10.5 inch rims. I orginally had 315/35/17 nitto 555R drag radials they came with the rims but I need a street tire.

So.. I went through two sets of 315/35/17 sumitom HTR's and I wasn't impressed with them at all. They wore out within a year and wore in the middle both sets! Even though they are cheap it's still 40 bucks to mount and balance them and I'd rather pay a little extra for a better tire.

The tires that are on the car now are 285/40/17 BFG KDW and I've had them since 9/29/06. these were the best tires by Far! and they lasted the longest. They had great traction but now they are on thier last leg. I paid 275 shipped for the last set off of www.discounttiredirect.com now they are $410 shipped!!!

I am going to buy 285/40/17 because they are alot less expensive than the 315's. So I was wondering if anyone has ever used cooper tires? in particular the Cooper Zeon 2XS and also the Mastercraft Avenger ZHP.
Also Has anyone used the Kuhmo ECSTA SPT?

Any Comments or Reviews to other tires would be great! pics welcome. thanx:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I can't tell you anything about the Coopers, but I ran some Kuhmos & they sucked. Terrible grip in wet weather, marginal performance, & wore out way too soon. The only thing they had going for them was the milage warranty. I've got BFG g force tires now & I love them. Can't find anything bad to say about them. Hope this helps... Larry

I had a set of Kumho's on my '93GT. They were'nt good or anything. I would'nt recommend them. Marginal at best. I'm looking for a set of tires right now. I have Toyo's on my Mach right now, but their the discontinued T1S. I'm thinking of getting the new T1R's they came out with to replace them. 275/40/17.

I can't tell you anything about the Coopers, but I ran some Kuhmos & they sucked. Terrible grip in wet weather, marginal performance, & wore out way too soon. The only thing they had going for them was the milage warranty. I've got BFG g force tires now & I love them. Can't find anything bad to say about them. Hope this helps... Larry

Thanx yea i want to hear people say that they ran those tires and the sucked. Which Series of the Kuhmos did you run?

I had a set of Kumho's on my '93GT. They were'nt good or anything. I would'nt recommend them. Marginal at best. I'm looking for a set of tires right now. I have Toyo's on my Mach right now, but their the discontinued T1S. I'm thinking of getting the new T1R's they came out with to replace them. 275/40/17.

Kuhmos are 0 for 2 lol! but hmm i'll look for some toyo's also i've heard good things from them!

I've had OK luck with Khumos...

they don't have the best traction in the world but they last pretty good (I usually get about 25-30K on a set) and they are pretty quiet, especially the ASX...

that being said, I'm probably going to get a set of BFGs next week ;)

I like Coopers a lot. Got great mileage out of the sets I ran on my 1993 Ranger 4x4. I think I got about 70,000 on the all-terrains and they had some good meat left.

I have some Kumhos on the Civic and they seem to do just fine. They aren't the top of the line, but they are not cheap 3rd world crap either.

I do not like Sumitomo.

Yokohama, Pirelli, Cooper, BFG are all reputable tires in my opinion.

Ive had Kumho's, Nittos, BFG, and Sumitomos on my Mustangs.

Id say its like this in my experience

1.) BFG KDW2
2.) Nitto 555
3.) Sumitomo HTRZ-II
4.) Kumho Supra 712

The Kumho's were terrible but ive heard good things about the MX's, but then again for the price of those, might as well get the BFG's

What's the deal with the BFG KDW's? All I keep hearing about them is alot of road noise. I checked around today and I can only get the Toyo T1R's in a 265/40/17. So I'm thinking of the Nitto 555's because they come in a 275/40/17.

Ive had Kumho's, Nittos, BFG, and Sumitomos on my Mustangs.

Id say its like this in my experience

1.) BFG KDW2
2.) Nitto 555
3.) Sumitomo HTRZ-II
4.) Kumho Supra 712

The Kumho's were terrible but ive heard good things about the MX's, but then again for the price of those, might as well get the BFG's

He will spend $140 more than the kumho's for the bfg's. They probably are a better tire but i dont know about that much better. via tirerack.com for 285/40/17

What's the deal with the BFG KDW's? All I keep hearing about them is alot of road noise. I checked around today and I can only get the Toyo T1R's in a 265/40/17. So I'm thinking of the Nitto 555's because they come in a 275/40/17.

Yup...they do have quite a bit of road noise once they start to wear, but cmon, we drive loud Mustangs not BMW's....The KDW2's are the best tire for the price imo, & they grip like hell, dry or wet. i have 20k on mine now, & still have 25% tread left in the front, but the rears need replacing soon, but thats my fault for doing burnouts.....the Nitto NT555's sucked in the rain, but were pretty good in dry weather...i wont buy the Nitto's again though....

the Sumitomos DEFINITELY SUCK!!! I only have em on my 95 because they came in a package with my wheels, & hey, they are 315's, even though they look like they have the contact patch of a 265!!!

I dunno...I never looked 4 that size. I would think Tire rack & Discount Tire would have them, but they are pretty popular now, so they are probably just sold out....

I have also been looking into the Goodyear GSD3's, but I only need to replace my rear's & i dont want mismatched tires...