KYB AGX & Eibach Pro kit springs

saleen137

Nov 11, 2003
Bellflower
Ok guys i've been having problems with my Saleen suspension and i'm thinking of dumping the saleen suspension that they've put on the car from the factory. I've had the problem of my front driver side tire hitting the fender when i brake or hit a bump. Now it's getting really bad because any time i brake it makes this rubbing noise and it's only coming from one side. Also one side looks lower than the other. I've had it with my suspension because it's not the first time it's cause me problems. I'm thinking of going with the KYB AGX adjustables front and rear with the Eibach Pro kit springs. Also the owner who had it before me i guess he modified something or cut the springs because i have at least a 2" or more drop. My question is I'm i going the wrong way with the KYB and the Eibachs? Any input would be grateful.

• Sponsors (?)

saleen137 said:
Ok guys i've been having problems with my Saleen suspension and i'm thinking of dumping the saleen suspension that they've put on the car from the factory. I've had the problem of my front driver side tire hitting the fender when i brake or hit a bump. Now it's getting really bad because any time i brake it makes this rubbing noise and it's only coming from one side. Also one side looks lower than the other. I've had it with my suspension because it's not the first time it's cause me problems. I'm thinking of going with the KYB AGX adjustables front and rear with the Eibach Pro kit springs. Also the owner who had it before me i guess he modified something or cut the springs because i have at least a 2" or more drop. My question is I'm i going the wrong way with the KYB and the Eibachs? Any input would be grateful.

The KYBs rule, as do my H&R SSs. My problem is that I scrape my car A LOT because its so low and the roads suck up here. Does that happen to anyone else? I think part of the problem is that my 265s are REALLY low profile compared to my 275s on the rear (more than you'd expect - must be a brand thing). Anyway that makes the front sit even lower.
I love the way my car rides, but I think I'm going to move my 275s to the front and see if I scrape less. If it works out, I'll leave them there and sell the BFG KDWs and get some new rears (285 or 295).
My car dropped at least 2" front (pics in sig) and I have absolutely no rubbing. You shouldnt be rubbing with Eibachs...
:shrug: Got some pics of the front drop? Do you ever scrape the bottom of the car on the road? :shrug:

007 said:
The KYBs rule, as do my H&R SSs. My problem is that I scrape my car A LOT because its so low and the roads suck up here. Does that happen to anyone else? I think part of the problem is that my 265s are REALLY low profile compared to my 275s on the rear (more than you'd expect - must be a brand thing). Anyway that makes the front sit even lower.
I love the way my car rides, but I think I'm going to move my 275s to the front and see if I scrape less. If it works out, I'll leave them there and sell the BFG KDWs and get some new rears (285 or 295).
My car dropped at least 2" front (pics in sig) and I have absolutely no rubbing. You shouldnt be rubbing with Eibachs...
:shrug: Got some pics of the front drop? Do you ever scrape the bottom of the car on the road? :shrug:

I do scrape alot on speed bumps and my front end hits on every driveway. My car sits a little lower than your and the way i can notice is because i cant even stick my hand in the tire well. It looks like you still have some room between the tire and the tire well.
my_saleen_at_work_edit.jpg

saleen_and_supra_295.jpg

saleen_and_supra_300.jpg

These are the only pictures that i have right now. So do you think it would be a smart move to get the KYB's with the Eibach springs?

Wow. Yours is thoroughly slammed!! What size tires are you running because thatll change the gap to the fender?

When I move my 275s to the front the fenderwell gap on mine will get a bit less. I can get 2 fingers vertically between my 265s and the wheel well. I cant believe how little gap you have. Unless you have tires with too much sidewall, then those arent Eibach pro-kit! Perhaps they removed the isolators or something. I dunno, but pro-kit doesnt sit that low!

My car scrapes just driving around on the road sometimes. Scares the piss out of me. I have to fix it.

Either way, its not the shocks, its the springs/tires that are your problem.

Well I don't have Eibachs. I was stating that i wanted to change my stock suspension which saleen applied there own springs and shocks. I want to get the KYB AGX with Eibach springs. If the Tires and springs where my problem i would think they would rub on both sides. It started doing it 3 months ago and i've had the car for 2 years already and the tire sizes haven't changed one bit. It only rubs on the drivers side front only. Someone had mentioned to me that the front strut might be leaking but either way the suspension that saleen added really blows. At first i thought it was good but man the ride quality blows. I just want some opinions of people who have KYB shocks. BTW you car is pretty low as well. It looks nice.

saleen137 said:
Well I don't have Eibachs. I was stating that i wanted to change my stock suspension which saleen applied there own springs and shocks. I want to get the KYB AGX with Eibach springs. If the Tires and springs where my problem i would think they would rub on both sides. It started doing it 3 months ago and i've had the car for 2 years already and the tire sizes haven't changed one bit. It only rubs on the drivers side front only. Someone had mentioned to me that the front strut might be leaking but either way the suspension that saleen added really blows. At first i thought it was good but man the ride quality blows. I just want some opinions of people who have KYB shocks. BTW you car is pretty low as well. It looks nice.

Thanks. Sorry for the shock confusion. I dont think a bad shock should make the car sit funny though. The springs take the weight and determine the height. I could see a dodgy shock causing one side to rub as you drive, but it should affect the stationary position of the car. If you dont put the tails of the front springs in the right place they could sit uneven...

Your car is awesome. Man is it low!! Know what tire size you are running?

Well you can also feel the ride quality when i hit a bump on that side. It feels bumpy. The springs are the progressive spring that saleen puts on them but i know something has to be modified for it to sit that low. The front is 255/35ZR18 and the rear is 265/35ZR18. It's the same size tires the saleen came with. I don't know the problem but i think i might as well just change it out. I'm getting the KYB and the Eibach springs from my online store so it's no biggie. How do you like the KYB's? Can you notice the difference when you adjust them?

I have a 98 Cobra with Eibach Pros, KYB AGXs, 275/40s, 315/35s, both on 17 rims.

Front isolators replaced with rubber tubing, giving about 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 drop.

The KYB shocks are AWESOME...you can tell the difference between every single setting! With these shocks and air pressure, I can REALLY tune the car's suspension/handling.

I love this setup, and I drive hard!

sounds like a spring issue but thats really uncommon??? check your upper strut mount maybe something is funky there?? You car does seem to sit extremly low... send me your springs and Bilstiens when you ditch them :)

joestang98 said:
sounds like a spring issue but thats really uncommon??? check your upper strut mount maybe something is funky there?? You car does seem to sit extremly low... send me your springs and Bilstiens when you ditch them :)

How much are you willing to pay? They only have 30k miles on them. I'm ditching them no matter what. I want to be able to adjust the firmness when i go to the track and such.

I love the KYB adjustables. I just don't know if you'll be happy with the drop from the Eibach's. Your car is extremely low and unless you remove the isolators you probably won't think you're getting enough drop with the Eibach's. You might look at the H&R's - anything has got to have more clearance than your current setup. It looks great, but man that's low....

Jay

GT2000JAY said:
I love the KYB adjustables. I just don't know if you'll be happy with the drop from the Eibach's. Your car is extremely low and unless you remove the isolators you probably won't think you're getting enough drop with the Eibach's. You might look at the H&R's - anything has got to have more clearance than your current setup. It looks great, but man that's low....

Jay

Well believe it or not I want to raise the car a little. I've had so many problems so far having the car so low. First it was a cracked radiator, then i cracked a bolt on the manifold making the car run and sound like s*h*i*t*. I seriously thing they removed the isolators which is the reason the car sits so low. Where can i find them?

The isolators will give you only 1/4" - 3/8" extra heighth. There IS a little known trick to gaining an additional 3/8" - 1/2"...just turn the springs so that the very end of the last coil on the bottom of the spring DOES NOT sit down in the notch provided for it inside the perch.

This is easy to do with shorter springs like you have now. NO special tools required...I must admit, I don't know if the rear perches have the same notch, but I'll bet they do.

Hope you have good luck with it!

tygr1 said:
The isolators will give you only 1/4" - 3/8" extra heighth. There IS a little known trick to gaining an additional 3/8" - 1/2"...just turn the springs so that the very end of the last coil on the bottom of the spring DOES NOT sit down in the notch provided for it inside the perch.

This is easy to do with shorter springs like you have now. NO special tools required...I must admit, I don't know if the rear perches have the same notch, but I'll bet they do.

Hope you have good luck with it!

The notch thing doesnt apply to the rear springs. If you dont have isolators, you can get a set of urethane ones cheap from people like Steeda. I wouldnt recommend turning the fronts so the tails arent in the holes. I heard this can be dangerous (spring slipping out during install) and it might move later. Add isolators if they arent there. If one side does ride badly or feel bouncy though, I guess you could have a bad shock too.

What color are your shocks/struts?

Black = BAD (recalled Carreras)

Yellow = Good (Bilstien N2s)

If they are black, that is 99% of your problem. You need to toss them and get something else. Once we know the color, we can go from there.

The springs that are on your car from Saleen are Eibach. They are better than the Ford OE, but not the greatest.

My '00 Speedster has the N2s and the Saleen (Eibachs). The ride is nice for running up the miles on a cruise, but it will get its azz handed to it by my other Saleens in the twisty sections, both of which have H&R Springs on them w/ the N2s.

Let me know the color of the shocks/struts first, then we can go from there :)

Saleen Mike said:
What color are your shocks/struts?

Black = BAD (recalled Carreras)

Yellow = Good (Bilstien N2s)

If they are black, that is 99% of your problem. You need to toss them and get something else. Once we know the color, we can go from there.

The springs that are on your car from Saleen are Eibach. They are better than the Ford OE, but not the greatest.

My '00 Speedster has the N2s and the Saleen (Eibachs). The ride is nice for running up the miles on a cruise, but it will get its azz handed to it by my other Saleens in the twisty sections, both of which have H&R Springs on them w/ the N2s.

Let me know the color of the shocks/struts first, then we can go from there :)

They are yellow with blue. They say N2 on them in red i believe. I knew about the Saleen springs being Eibachs but the thing is that i think they have been cut because of how low it is. I have '00 speedster as well. I have no idea what it is but it's getting on my nerves and i'm getting the KYB AGX with New Eibach Pro kit springs for $549.

saleen137 said:
If you are having trouble with nose dive you would want a higher spring rate in front than the prokit. I'd go with steeda competition or H&R race springs which have a variable 750-850 rate up front.