Lash Adjuster Issue, Just Need To Verify Something

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
Ok guys, about 3 weeks ago I started with this cold start issue where the engine would run rough at idle, but clear up in 10-30 seconds and the car would run strong as ever to my 30 mile trip to work. About a week later when I went to leave work (figures) I started the car and it never cleared up so I towed it home on my car dolly and stuck it in the garage. To make a long story short the car was running lean on bank 1. I smoked the engine to find possible leaks, did all the usual crap and I still wasn't getting anywhere but frustrated so I left it alone for a few days and started it all over again today. I decided that since the bank 1 was the only one giving me an issue (NO CODES, not even a misfire code) that it had to be mechanical or the intake (rare) was cracked in a runner on that side, but being that it was literally 4 months old I doubted that so I took off the passenger cam cover and find a nice surprise. Number 4 cyl roller follower cam off and was just chilling there, making my life miserable. I was really expecting to find chain guide or a tensioner broken as I have had a similar issue on my 96' (not sure why this :poo: has to happen to me) when bank2 skipped time because of a broken guide. Was running rich though with a code.

That would explain the intermittent issue. I am assuming the lash adjuster just failed. Lucky the cam lobes and the spring, and even the roller follower are just fine.

So my question to those of you who have some experience with the cam and such is it going to be as simple as getting a new lash adjuster and re installing it OR am I going to have to take tension off the cam. Common sense tells me that since the lash adjuster is not primed (new) that I should be able to re-assemble it?

EDIT: I just remembered I have the Trick Flow spring tool. I want to change all the lash adjusters.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

A flat screw driver pops the followers in and out. The adjusters slide in and out behind them. No need to ever remove the cam just replace one at a time. The valve cover is harder to remove that changing the lash adjusters!

Yep your right, i got it done pretty quick. Thing is ive done it before on a NPI motor when i replaced valve seals which is why i still have the OTC tool. I ended up using the screw driver method. Just in case i wraped the screw driver with electricl tape in case i sliped, but really it was no big deal. The cars back to its old self again.

Reactions: 1 users