last try for answers

My AFR combo with SVO 1.6's and a 2030 cam made the sewing machine noise at first, but it went away after a few weeks of driving. I tore it apart a few times to get the lifter preloaded better (stud mounts) and it fixed the loose lash in a few rockers, but not the general noise. All the other combo's I've built for people over the years didn't make any noise. If you've checked everything a dozen times and it's all fine except the noise maybe you just need to take a step ack and drive it for a while.

I'm putting it together again after replacing the head gaskets so I'l see if it's noisy again tonight at startup.

Jamie

• Sponsors (?)

ranchero...i am probably going to do just that. it's too cold to be messing around with the car now. it runs great. just noisy.

sirsureshot...what exactly do you mean? the lifter oil holes? i asked around repeatedly about that, and noone had a straight answer. holes down toward cylinders or up toward lifter galley? i put them in at random the first time it was built, and put them in at random the second time....noise is exactly the same.

let me know if this is what you are talking about. thanks.

I know it sounds funny but I had the same problem with an old 400M in a Bronco after I built it with adjustable crane roller rockers. The valve train just made noise for some reason. Motor ran fine but made noise. Never had an adverse effect of the noise just a little annoying. The only thing I found was the pushrod guide plates may have been the cause but you really can't get rid of those items to see if that fixed it. I drove it like that for 2 years with heavy off roading and never had a problem.

timk said:
ranchero...i am probably going to do just that. it's too cold to be messing around with the car now. it runs great. just noisy.

sirsureshot...what exactly do you mean? the lifter oil holes? i asked around repeatedly about that, and noone had a straight answer. holes down toward cylinders or up toward lifter galley? i put them in at random the first time it was built, and put them in at random the second time....noise is exactly the same.

let me know if this is what you are talking about. thanks.

There are holes on one side of the lifter, they have to go in facing the lifter valley land ine up with an oil passage in the block or you will FU@k your lifters up...many many people dont know this...

did you do the lifter pre-load correctly when you installed your rockers? This would explain the noise...make sure you tightnem all the bolts on your lower intake...I have some bolts lose by the injector area and the exhaust was comming from the bolt threads...Lastly is your MAF calibrated for the injectors?

what i meant by oil to the rockers is to check it while running oil should squirt out or ooze out fastly from the holes at the end of the pushrods see if all of them are about the same, and i forgot to mention installed heigh on the springs measure the length of the spring with valve closed or rockers off with a caliper. and compare it with the specs of the manufacturer