late model rims

hey guys, i got my ssbc front kit,due to the 13 inch rotors, I know i need at least 17's to get them to fit right? so, i can get a good deal on late model rims off a mustang, what else do i need to make those rims fit? do i really need those adapter kit? thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

eBayISAPI.dll

hope that pic works. it's for 94- 2004 Mustangs I guess, I have a 69 Mustang coupe

There is only one correct answer to your question... Go out and measure your own car and determine what backspacing is required. This is really the only way to know what will fit your car, especially after doing suspension and brake conversion modifications.

This isn't specifically directed at you, though it does apply to you, but far too many folks are relying on data that is spewed from unconfirmable (dubious?) sources (i.e. forums like this, or random charts posted here and there). Admittedly, there is some conventional wisdom and general guidelines, but there is also enough variation in the chasis of these cars (especially after 30-40 years of road use and accidents), that it just isn't completely safe to assume that they apply to your car with your specific mods. Every good car builder will tell you to measure your car to get the best results.

BTW, and you may already know this, but if you are looking at using late model Mustang 17x8 rims, they have a backspacing of 5.72".

Good luck, and definitely post pics when you're done... :nice:

DarkBuddha said:
This isn't specifically directed at you, though it does apply to you, but far too many folks are relying on data that is spewed from unconfirmable (dubious?) sources (i.e. forums like this, or random charts posted here and there). Admittedly, there is some conventional wisdom and general guidelines, but there is also enough variation in the chasis of these cars (especially after 30-40 years of road use and accidents), that it just isn't completely safe to assume that they apply to your car with your specific mods. Every good car builder will tell you to measure your car to get the best results.

:scratch:

And here I thought compiling a data base of mustang and their tire wheel combos with suspension and other mods accounted for was a good idea ;)

http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

Late model wheels are fun to put on, for the most part you need a 1 inch bolt on spacer, but it does depend on the wheels you pickup....sometimes you need a larger or a smaller spacer....once you narrow down your choice we can be more helpful.

At1Maverick said:
if that attachment works fine, those are the rims i was intending to put on, til i get money for vintage 48 rims

Considering you will end up having $300 invested in those rims (assuming you are buying them dirt cheap for about a $100) once you actually get the wheels and the correct bolt on spacers to add the additional 1 inch of back spacing needed to run them, plus another $400 to $500 for just the rubber....I personally would wait till I can buy the rims I really want.

late model wheels

allcarfan said:
spacers are about $140 for 4....

IM surprised no one suggested getting 17" wheels for a classic??

Of course, I dont know how much you want to pay
I have a 67 coupe and also I have a set of 17" Bullitt Wheels off an 03 stang, will the bolt patterns match? Also what type of spacers are you referring to?Do you know a supplier? Thanks for the info!

fordsrfaster said:
I have a 67 coupe and also I have a set of 17" Bullitt Wheels off an 03 stang, will the bolt patterns match? Also what type of spacers are you referring to?Do you know a supplier? Thanks for the info!

Here's a pic of the bullitts on a nice fastback.

Attachments

• Bullitt68.jpg
    Bullitt68.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 141
late model bullets are 5.72" backspacing. I suggest a 1" spacer on them. You will need a 5x4.5" lug patter spacer thats 1" thick. People will custom make you them on ebay. Thats thebest place.

Shane

dodgestang said:
:scratch:

And here I thought compiling a data base of mustang and their tire wheel combos with suspension and other mods accounted for was a good idea ;)

http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

Late model wheels are fun to put on, for the most part you need a 1 inch bolt on spacer, but it does depend on the wheels you pickup....sometimes you need a larger or a smaller spacer....once you narrow down your choice we can be more helpful.
dodgestang, I completely appreciate all the work and effort you've put in on completing your data base. It is impressive and a good general guide, but I still hold that the sources can not be verified as being 100% accurate. I'm not saying anyone that has provided info is wrong or lying, but there is no way for me to completely verify the accuracy of their statements. Are they absolutely sure they've got 600lb. springs, or did a vendor send them incorrect ones by accident? "Sure, the PO said the front brakes are original and that he installed normal height springs, so it must be right, right? Oh, and he said the car has never been in an accident..." Maybe, maybe not... without knowing the amount of knowledge and savvy any of the contributors to your list have, the info in your data base is best considered a indicator of potentials rather than a biblical source for final decisions. Heck, even your own reply above seems to indicate that it isn't a carved in stone kinda thing.

Ultimately, if I'm gonna drop $1000 or more on a set of wheels and tires, then I'm gonna spend the hour of time it takes to measure and know for sure. And really, what is the big deal??? An hour of time and some measuring is all we're talking about here... a lousy hour... jack the car up, put it on a jackstand, pull the wheel, get a piece of string and a nail and couple good long straightedges and measure... one little hour to do both sides... maybe two if you're slow like me. Seems like a small price to pay for accuracy and reassurance... :shrug:

:nice:

DarkBuddha said:
dodgestang, I completely appreciate all the work and effort you've put in on completing your data base. It is impressive and a good general guide, but I still hold that the sources can not be verified as being 100% accurate. I'm not saying anyone that has provided info is wrong or lying, but there is no way for me to completely verify the accuracy of their statements. Are they absolutely sure they've got 600lb. springs, or did a vendor send them incorrect ones by accident? "Sure, the PO said the front brakes are original and that he installed normal height springs, so it must be right, right? Oh, and he said the car has never been in an accident..." Maybe, maybe not... without knowing the amount of knowledge and savvy any of the contributors to your list have, the info in your data base is best considered a indicator of potentials rather than a biblical source for final decisions. Heck, even your own reply above seems to indicate that it isn't a carved in stone kinda thing.

Ultimately, if I'm gonna drop $1000 or more on a set of wheels and tires, then I'm gonna spend the hour of time it takes to measure and know for sure. And really, what is the big deal??? An hour of time and some measuring is all we're talking about here... a lousy hour... jack the car up, put it on a jackstand, pull the wheel, get a piece of string and a nail and couple good long straightedges and measure... one little hour to do both sides... maybe two if you're slow like me. Seems like a small price to pay for accuracy and reassurance... :shrug:

:nice:

I can't argue with that ;)

And I do agree that the list is a guide....i do take a lot of care to reality check it as much as possible. Ultimately though what happens, as more entries are gained, I will be able to generate statistical probabilities for accuracy of fitment based on multiple people reporting things working with specific setups......that type of analysis is a ways off and will require at least 300 entries for each year (estimate). Whenever someone is trying to fit the maximium amount of rubber on the car good old fashion measiuring is important. But with the charts as they are a user can accurately know what it takes to put a 215-245 on their car..to say another way, they will know if a 225 will fit with their mods or if there is any chance of it rubbing and needing some fender rolling. They also help to immediately debunct someone that logs on and says "yeah I used to run a 295 on a 15x8 with 4 inch back spacing on my 66 mustang no problems, no rubbing, all under the fender"

:)

hey nick, i've seen a 295/50-15 on the back of a 69 coupe with a 15x8 wheel, but i think the backspacing was more like 4.5 or 4.75, one of these days i'll go out and measure mine, but i'm pretty sure it is 4.5, i have a 275/50-15 on a 15x8 under my 69 coupe, i did have to roll the lips though, but once i get the versailles rear in i think i'll have enough room for a 295/50-15 pretty easily, i'm also thinking i can get a 245/60-15 on the front 15x7s, but i'll have to wait until i get the suspension set up the way i want it, with a set of opentracker's strut-rods and roller perches and his LCA's as well, we'll see. i'll definately let you know so you can add it to the chart when i'm done, still several months away at best though