Launching In A Manual

mpeach1976

Feb 14, 2014
I've been having trouble with my launch. Car is a manual trans and whenever I do launch I launch from 1st and either by the time I hook I've already hit the rev limiter or when I clutch to throw it into 2nd my engine bogs down as it is no longer engaged. Is there a secret to this?

• Sponsors (?)

You can launch with a little lower rpms so you don't bust the tires loose. If you are good with your 1-2 shift, you can not lift the gas when you shift. But that usually spins the tires more in second which is not the fastest way yo go. If you launch at a lower RPM you might get it to hook sooner which would probably allow for a good 1-2 shift.
Is the car mostly stock?

Yes, there *is* a secret- raise the revs high enough to keep the engine in its powerband, but slip the clutch enough to keep from blowing off the tires. This takes A LOT of practice (and the clutch doesn't like it) but it is the fastest way to launch our cars on street tires.

Tire & Suspension upgrades can certainly make it easier to launch, but this technique applies to the stock setup as well. (I ran 12.20 @ 116.5 when the car was practically stock, also with a 5000 RPM launch on 18" street tires)

Reactions: 1 user
@ racerraj: yes the car is mostly stock...with the exception of the axle backs.
I'd try a little lower RPM and perhaps letting the clutch slip a little while getting it going like Sharad says. I haven't been on the track, but that is how I get away on the street with even less traction. I've resisted the track since the early 80's, but I believe you and my 16 year daughter have me convinced to make a couple passes real soon...LOL. I've always been a turns guy. Suspensions for turns don't transfer the weight. But my current Mustang is like yours - axle back only.