Leaking headlights

bbayne35

Oct 21, 2004
Maryland
Short story:
My chrome, clear corner headlights from americanmuscle.com leaked, and I do not recommend purchasing from them.

Long story:
I needed to replace my yellowing headlights on my 2000 GT, and I liked the looks of the clear corners. I bought a pair from americanmuscle.com for $200. The headlights were packaged well, but came with zero documentation. I installed them, and they looked really nice (although the rubber flange did not align perfectly with the fender). The assemblies leaked after the first rain. I dried them out and applied silcone to the seam on the top and sides. They leaked again. I emailed americanmuscle.com to get replacements, and they told me to follow this procedure:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/headlight-condensation-remedy.html
Essentially, you need to bake your headlights and apply silicone. Maybe they should have included this documentation in the packaging. I was skeptical about the procedure, but did it anyway. Although I was extremely careful, I still managed to singe a corner of one of the assemblies. Thus, they are ruined.

The bottom line is that you should not have to cook your $200 headlights and re-seal them. I am looking for some new lights now (from a different company). Avoid this product from this company.

• Sponsors (?)

The bottom line is that you should not have to cook your $200 headlights and re-seal them.

Agreed.

Maybe this might help: about two months ago one of my fog lights went out and condensation appeared in it. I took it off and drilled two small holes in the bottom of the plastic light housing so that water could drain out. I installed a new bulb and haven't had any problems with it since.

I tried that as an experiment. If it didn't work, I would just have bought a new pair of fog lights. Fortunately it seems to be working well, especially considering I have driven through a lot of rain here in the last two months.

Agreed.

Maybe this might help: about two months ago one of my fog lights went out and condensation appeared in it. I took it off and drilled two small holes in the bottom of the plastic light housing so that water could drain out. I installed a new bulb and haven't had any problems with it since.

I tried that as an experiment. If it didn't work, I would just have bought a new pair of fog lights. Fortunately it seems to be working well, especially considering I have driven through a lot of rain here in the last two months.

+1 Thats what happend to mine and making 2 drain holes in them worked great.