Lean/Rich Condition Question

Slik726

Apr 17, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
All;

Just a gut check...

I purchased my 02 GT with a BBK CAI and 70mm TB. Just the other day while in the engine compartment, I noticed that there was a grommet which was not plugged on the intake POST MAF. The grommet should have a plug in it on 02's and on earlier cars there is a IAT sensor that belong there. I had the car tuned a long time ago and if I remember right, the guys said it was running quite lean (14.X or so...) I would assume that makes sense since air was being sucked in POST MAF and therefore not being metered. I have now plugged the hole and the vehicle is seemingly running really rich and blowing white smoke out the pipes (I assume poorly burnt HC?) which concerns me.

What are the main issues of running the vehicle in a rich or lean condition for long periods of time?

Does anyone have a calibration from the SCT pro racer package that they can share?

Thanks!

-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

HydroCarbons produce black smoke. White smoke is coolant.

On Edit: Running rich for long periods will consume more gas and pollute the air. Also foul your spark plugs. Running lean for too long will probably just cause the engine to run hotter and may damage cats.