leaning towards 99 COBRA!?

SPEEDYLIFSAVR

Founding Member
Sep 18, 2000
FL,89 LX 5.0
OK , I love my stang . I have so much time and effort in that car .....But it just sits in my carport with a cover on it . its not a daily driver and not condusive to my family life and job . I have a Bronco I drive daily . The stang only comes out on weekends if that . Its to the point now I just dont have the time to mod it or tinker with it . I dont get to enjoy it like I used to . I really miss driving a mustang . I love my truck but its a gas sucking tank . I've been leaning towards selling them both and getting a new stang . Something newer and more reliable thats bad ass off the lot . I've been considering a 99 COBRA . I love the way they look , 320 HP and fully independant rear suspension really appeal to me . The price is right also , around $16000 . What do you guys think ? I have heard several things about them like factory recalls and inflated HP numbers and them not living up to their listed potential . I guess it will make the test drive all that more important .
:flag: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Although my opinion may seem biased because I have a '99 Cobra, I love these cars. Yes, SOME were low on horsepower from the factory but virtually all of them has had "the fix", so that shouldn't even be a concern anymore. If you're unsure, call 1-800-FORDSVT. The test drive will be important, no matter what vehicle you decide to purchase. What I love most about this particular year car is they don't get much respect because of the bad press, but the look on people's faces when you smoke them with your *defective '99* is priceless. Another plus for you is that you can find '99s cheap compared to some '01s because of that bad press, yet you're getting basically the same car. So, I say go for it. I love mine and will keep it forever. My $.02

My only gripe is that mine has the dang vibe and sometimes it can get really annoying, I have seriously considered going solid axle to combat the vibe and to get better launches, but if you can put up with teh vibe its a good car. I only have 15,000 miles on my 99 and its daily driven a mile to work and a mile back home every day.

I have a lot of $$s invested in my 99. I made the decision a while back to MOD my 99 "big time" vs buy a new 2003. I have not been disappointed with that decision. She is now a beast. The stock 99 is a solid base to build from.

Like brother speedy says, call the SVT number and see what has been done. I also think most 99s have done the performance "fix".

All really depends on how well the previous owner has treated her, so check her out carefully.

John