Least Expensive Place for K&N FIPK?

baseman

Nov 26, 2003
Providence, RI
Anyone know of the best (read... least expensive) place to get the K&N FIPK for a 95 GT (p/n 57-2511) ? I'm looking around and seeing about $170... is this the average for this?

Either that, or is there a less expensive alternative?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd skip it. I have the 57-2511 FIPK on my car, it's just a filter that hooks directly to the end of the MAF. It draws in nice warm underhood air. I'm going to replace mine one of these days with a nice homemade setup that will draw cold air in from the fender.

Dave

I've never seen one of those K&N kits on a mustang but i've personally installed two of those kits (one on an impala, and one on an F250) and both kits looked like garbage. On the Impala SS the friggin filter wouldn't stay on the end of the intake tube because the plastic tube they give you gets crunched by the clamp holding the filter! JUNK!
You can do one of three things....
1. Just throw a K&N drop in filter in your stock airbox and remove the air silencer. Cheap, effective and easy.
2. Make your own cold air kit out of PCV pipe. Much harder to do than #1 (obviously) but you get a straight shot of air from your fender well to your TB.
3. Buy one of those "cheap" cold air kits from ebay.

I went with number three because i like the look of the aluminum cold air pipe, it costs about the same as a drop in K&N air filter and you don't have to make it yourself. I tried making one myself from PCV but no matter what paint i used it couldnt get the paint to stick well enough. Even high temp paint would chip off after a little handling.
Besides that if you don't have everything you need (pcv pipe, air filter, clamps, etc) it actually costs more to make the homemade stuff.
Mike