Leather Conditioner

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang5L5 said:
SO in reality, the headrests, seatbacks, and seat sides are the only leather aside from shifter boot, knob and wheel.

Thanks Ford

I think it is the other way around. The back of the seatbacks and the seat sides are matching vinyl.

What's leather are the parts of the front seats which actually "touch" your body when seated.

KAILUAZ said:
I had rear leather seats in my 95 GT Convert, and I KNOW they were real leather not vinyl. Im going out to sniff my rear seats right now!! :shrug:

The rear seats were leather until '96 or '97. Since then all Mustangs have had the rear seats in a matching vinyl (except for one special edition who's interior wasn't actually done by Ford).

I still remember that Ford didn't lower the cost of the leather interior option by even one penny when they changed the rears to vinyl.

I use Coach leather conditioner, personally.

I am absolutely stunned to hear the back seats are vinyl... I have a 2002 GT and I just was wiping the interior down last night. I'm heading out to see if I have the faux leather as well.

GT-03 said:
I think it is the other way around. The back of the seatbacks and the seat sides are matching vinyl.

What's leather are the parts of the front seats which actually "touch" your body when seated.

I dunno, my seatback, headrests, etc, seem to feel the same way as the leather on the steering wheel. It's sort of a soft dull feel to it. The center perforated pleats feel more "durable" and that's why i think that area is the same vinyl as used on the rear seat. It's a more high-wear area.

Either way, the only leather seats in the car are the fronts and they are not 100% leather either.

My old '93 Mark 8 had leather front and rear seats and a thicker leather on the steering wheel (same wheel as Mustang). I beleive it was a higher quality leather too as it felt more durable but still soft as hell.

Anyway getting back to the main point of this post, i use the mother's gold on my front leather portions. I notice that after 2 months of use, the wrinkles in the driver's seat have slowly been working out. The leather itself is softer. I also use it on the steering wheel since it doesn't leave a slippery film when you work it in.

Now since the rear seat is vinyl, i use a vinyl protectant like Vinlex. It comes in a blue bottle and it's designed to protect vinyl without drying or cracking it like armorall can. I also use it on the dash. It leaves a nice shine when applied. Since nobody sits in my rear seat, i just give it a quick wipe now and then and that's it.

Mega-Man said:
I use Coach leather conditioner, personally.

I am absolutely stunned to hear the back seats are vinyl... I have a 2002 GT and I just was wiping the interior down last night. I'm heading out to see if I have the faux leather as well.

I'm pretty sure all 99-04 Mustang coupe have rear vinyl seats.

Not sure on convertibles and V6's, but i assume those as well.

70stangcoupe said:
Meguiars Gold Class followed by the wipes

:stupid: I use all of Meguires products, Well except for their vynal and rubber treatment. I prefer Armor All. I think Meguires stuff works great. I really like their leather wipes. They are easy to use and they make your interior smell good too. BTW I've got white leather and a 3 1/2 years old.:eek:

V_Eight said:
I use Zaino leather in a bottle.
This stuff seems good, smells like leather, and doesn't leave it looking shiny or oily like some do, I like it so far!

I believe, unless they have changed since 2000, the only thing leather are the front seating surfaces, not including the headrests!

Mustang5L5 said:
I'm pretty sure all 99-04 Mustang coupe have rear vinyl seats.

I use to say that too, until it was pointed out to me that there was one special edition Mustang made in that time period which actually had rear leather seats. This was the one which also had the silver colored leather inserts on the doors. The interior was actually done by an outside contractor to Ford, and that is how the rear leathers sneaked passed the bean counters.

One thing I keep learning myself, is that there always seems to be an except or two to any "rule" about Mustangs. :D

GT-03 said:
I use to say that too, until it was pointed out to me that there was one special edition Mustang made in that time period which actually had rear leather seats. This was the one which also had the silver colored leather inserts on the doors. The interior was actually done by an outside contractor to Ford, and that is how the rear leathers sneaked passed the bean counters.

One thing I keep learning myself, is that there always seems to be an except or two to any "rule" about Mustangs. :D

You are correct. The 1999 35th Anniversary "Limited Edition" GT has silver leather inserts in the rear. I believe the 04 Mystichrome to have this too.
-Jason

Mustang5L5 said:
Prob Ford's way of keeping costs of the Mustang down.

I think Mustang's have only had leather fronts and vinyl rears all the way back to the Fox years.

You can definitely feel the difference in material between the leather fronts and the rear seat. Nothing anyone else would notice, but i do. But nobody ever sits in my rear seat anyway, i just keep it all shiny looking and wipe it down from time to time.

My '96 Cobra and my '94 GT-vert has leather on the seating surfaces of BOTH the front and rear seats. The rear of the front seat is definetly vinyl though.