LED Tape...

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I can just picture in 20 years 50resto will be selling paper templates to lay over the shock towers for guys to drill all of the original holes back into their smoothed bays. What if people in the future don't want boxed sway bar mounts? OMG OMG OMG :gasp:

whats wrong with smoothed over sway bar mounts!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono::D this is clean as hell but looks unfinsihed! It's my buddies car and hopefully i'll get to do his bay like mine!
06200920151-1.jpg

peace

john:p

Mike, are those LED's you currently have lighting the gauges?

The reason I ask is that I'm in the process of doing a full LED conversion on EVERYTHING in the car. I've already done the turn signals (front and rear), side markers, dome & hatch lights, 3rd brake light, license plate lights & reverse lights. Once I find the right bulbs for the tail lights & modify the corner markers to function the same as the turn signals I am going to be moving on to the dash.

Since mine is a DD, I'm gonna get a junkyard gauge cluster and and buy all the bulbs (both illumination and indicators) and have them all in and test the illumination of everything before I rip my dash apart.

The main problem w/ LED's as dash illumination is that the beam is focused out the front, and not distributed 360 degrees like a normal incandescent bulb. well....these have fixed that problem. They will light up anything just like a normal bulb will. and this was going to be my solution to the gauge lighting.

Mike, are those LED's you currently have lighting the gauges?

Nope, those are the OEM bulbs.

It's just not even enough. I'd install brighter bulbs, but I don't want hot spots. Kinda why i was looking into this tape. I'd remove the bulbs and route the tape around the inside to hopefully even everything out. I don't want to change the gauges...i like them, i just want the light to be even.

I too will be converting my non-critical lights to LED. I already did the plate lights. Next, i gotta find the right interior light bulbs in LED (white) and then change the HVAC bulbs as well.

:jaw:

How the hell? I've never seen that kind of poor distribution from incandescent bulbs. Is one of them out or is that because the backs of the aftermarket gauge face does not have the very necessary light distribution plastic?

Bingo

I was 18 at the time i did these. Needlless to say my quest for perfection had not developed yet.

Now it has...so i want to fix this.

Mike,

Have you thought about grabbing a junkyard gauge cluster and salvaging the distribution plastic out of the stock gauges and transfer them to yours? that might be cheaper than trying to do all that craziness w/ LED tape.

Don't get me wrong, I think the LED tape would work well and just about be a nice solution, but you're probably going to need 3-4 strips and at $20 each, that can get spensive fast. Then comes the issue of wiring them into the stock lighting connections. Of course, you could just hook them to keyed power and they'd be on all the time. The draw is so minimal that the rest of the car would never notice.

Mike,

Have you thought about grabbing a junkyard gauge cluster and salvaging the distribution plastic out of the stock gauges and transfer them to yours?

I have...but to be honest, if i do that, i'll just put the stocj gauge faces back in.

I like the white faced, i just want them to light up better. I actually came across several hundred white LED's. So i might be able to create my own LED strips.

I won't know for a few weeks. Still driving the car, so once it's away i'll pull the cluster out and begin thinking