Legal light conversions for UK/Europe

Hi all

Has anyone converted the lights on a 65 or so mustang to UK specs ?? The front marker lights have to be changed to inicator only with white side (marker) lights ... I seem to remember several years ago that sealed beam headlights were available with a fitting for a sidelight bulb ... anyone know if these are still available and if this is the right way to go.
The rear lights are as stock .... all red ... but I would like a way of converting one section of the light lens to amber and wiring this to the indicators. I know I could put some *auxilliary* amber lights on the rear panel, but I would like to keep the car as near to stock as possible.

Any suggestions??

• Sponsors (?)

We have to do some of that in australia. Some people have the reversing lights converted to be amber indicators (amber lenses are available) rather than breaking up the 3 red bars.

Don't know about the front lights, we dont have to do that here

Rear signals- how about mounting amber LED modules in the backup light housings above or below the existing bulb? That would give you signal and backup functionality with minimal cutting of your 'Stang. Modules are available that are small enough and should still put out enough light.

Does the front of the car need to have signals only, with no running lights? For lenses, you'll probably have to find some clear lenses off another kind of car and trim as necessary, using silicone or foam rubber to make a gasket and make it waterproof. I don't think anyone makes clear Mustang lenses.

For the frontlights you kan use standard 7" H4 european frontlights, like the ones used i old Volvos (140 and Amazon). I think you kan get them in "right hand" Uk versions.

They are "bolt on" and you kan get them with or without parkinglights build in. I know "Hella" is making them, but im not sure about UK versions.

Thanks for the suggestions .... I think I will try and locate a pair of the headlights with built in parking lights and for the rear, go down the reversing light route .... the only thing is that I don't have any reversing (back-up) lights fitted, so will have to buy a repro set and fit a pair of orange bulbs.
All this just to get an ITV (Spanish equivalent of an MOT in the UK) !!

check to see if there are provisions for not altering classic cars.

I had to do a 97 honda a few years back, basically the shop that did it mounted two yellow button lights on the fenders for side turnsignals.

they also wired up a fog light.

This was awhile ago, but a buddy of mine brought over a classic camaro and he was able to get around having to do the conversion due to the age of his vehicle.

it might be worth looking into.

Spanish Dave said:
Hi all

Has anyone converted the lights on a 65 or so mustang to UK specs ?? (snip) ... I seem to remember several years ago that sealed beam headlights were available with a fitting for a sidelight bulb ... anyone know if these are still available and if this is the right way to go. (snip)

Any suggestions??

Nice looking Fastback, Spanish Dave. I don't know much about the UK marker light requirements, but you can definitely get the E-Code headlamp units for that car. In the U.S., the Hella brand is seen most often (but I lucked out and found a pair of Cibie' Z-Beam units on the discount table at a parts store that specializes in imported cars. In the U.K., you should be able to find the Cibie' and Marschal headlamp units, in addition to the Hellas.

Do a Google search for "Daniel Stern Automotive lighting"; that's the guy whose FAQ on headlight upgrades is copied all over the Internet. As I recall, there are two versions of the European (E-Code) lamps - the reflectors are set up specific to right- or left-side drive. It is quite an improvement; you'll be amazed.

Painless Wiring offers a prefabricated wiring harness for the H4 headlamp upgrade - you just plug it into one of the factory headlamp connectors, no splicing needed. Whichever way you wire it, be sure to power those halogen headlamps with relays to protect the headlight switch from overload.

Loup-garou said:
It is quite an improvement; you'll be amazed.

Painless Wiring offers a prefabricated wiring harness for the H4 headlamp upgrade - you just plug it into one of the factory headlamp connectors, no splicing needed. Whichever way you wire it, be sure to power those halogen headlamps with relays to protect the headlight switch from overload.

Yes, the H4 make a realy great light. :)

On my 65` the original connectors fitted directly on the H4 bulbs. No relays or other modifications, and still with the original 40 years old lightswitch and wiring. This have worked for 20 years now, with no problems.

If the lights starts flashing, i think is just because the switch have bad connections inside, caused by wear or dirt. The original stuff can handel the H4 bulbs, if everything is in good condition.

Westmus said:
(snip)

If the lights starts flashing, i think is just because the switch have bad connections inside, caused by wear or dirt. The original stuff can handel the H4 bulbs, if everything is in good condition.

There's a thermal circuit breaker in the headlight switch - the '69 Mustang (quad headlight) headlight switch is the preferred part (and can be fitted to other year cars). That'll fix the "flashing" problem in most cases. However, even with stock sealed beams, running heavier wires and switched relays will give you brighter headlights.

Loup-garou said:
There's a thermal circuit breaker in the headlight switch .......... However, even with stock sealed beams, running heavier wires and switched relays will give you brighter headlights.

Yes, but I think that in most of the times when people have "problems" with the thermal circuit breaker, is not because of the frontlights using to much power, but it`s the lightswitch that are getting old. The Shop manual says that the headlight circuit breaker in a 65` is 12A, so you have like 150W to use for the frontlights. A standard H4 bulb is 55W, so I don`t see any problems.

In my case I already have a really great and satisfing light with just the H4 Hella frontlights, much better than sealed beams can do. So I don`t see any reason to use time and money on relays and new wires. :)

Hope you not see to many "funny" words, I don`t normaly write in english! :nice: